Le Divorce - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Le Divorce Reviews

August 20, 2017
Had the pieces to actually be a good movie, but fell short on laughs. And there were a couple plot points that made me just say "Wait, what? I thought this was supposed to be a comedy."
½ December 16, 2016
Worst movie I've ever seen. I was dragged to it on a date, and refused to talk to her again afterwards.
½ January 12, 2015
It Sucked, boring and dull.
½ September 16, 2014
[color=yellow]Long live the blobbie movie weekend! Got a bunch of movies to watch this weekend and my rental store was generous enough to throw in free popcorn and coke - woo hoo! Managed to watch Le Divorce, Barefoot Contessa and Hidalgo.[/color]

[b][color=yellow]Le Divorce (2003)[/color][/b]
[color=yellow]I've read a couple of Diane Johnson's books and this story follows her usual formula; blond heroine is torn between two very different love interests, the moral complexities of adultery, differences between French and American cultures, the Americans are typically in France to broaden their cultural horizons, an intrigue involving art. It was good to see Romain Duris again from L'Auberge Espagnole (great movie!). He plays Yves, Kate Hudson's other love interest.[/color]

[color=yellow]Le Divorce, the film, unfortunately doesn't quite hit the mark. Perhaps the book's [very] slow character development doesn't translate well into film. It's still a good movie but with a better screenplay, better casting and direction, it could have been a lot better. Merchant Ivory are supposed to be good at "cultural" films but I think that a different director skilled with ensemble casts (Robert Altman is a good example-see Prêt-à-Porter) could possibly have done more with the material. [/color]

[color=yellow]There are two specific situations in the movie that irk me; Matthew Modine's small part of jilted husband - he turns from slightly annoying man badgering the jilted wife and sister of jilted wife into psycho killer with no indication or build up to this event. Also Naomi Watts' character goes from bewildered abandoned wife who nonetheless continues to entertain her visiting sibling, to a sudden suicide attempt. In real life each character would have displayed a number of small signs or expressed escalating emotional states to forewarn these events, but in the film we barely see any distress from the characters to make the leap credible. [/color]
½ April 21, 2014
"Le divorce" est le terrible!
January 2, 2014
James Ivory delivers another brilliant film, filled with many interesting characters, great storyline and beautiful cinematography. It's for adults only but what a little treat. Excellent film.
½ December 30, 2013
Described as "a charming comedy of manners" (really!?) Kate Hudson plays an aimless American who soaks up the local culture while visiting her unhappy, pregnant half sister (Naomi Watts) in Paris." --I've tried to get through this a couple times now and failed. Its just kind of meanders along and is pretty boring. I will say that Paris is well represented and the most interesting "character " in this. It oozes Parisian culture. DNF 07.13 (2)
½ October 30, 2013
What a waste of time. I expected a lot more from this cast.
June 15, 2013
Well this was a waste of my time. The plot was scattered. Not really sure what Kate Hudson was thinking most of the time. It was a weird mixture of French and English used throughout the film which wouldn't have bothered me if the actors had actually been French.
May 4, 2013
This is a crazy good movie ... I love Thomas Lennon ... He's so great in everything ... You should watch this movie if you have ever wanted to go to Paris, France !!! It shows a lot of Paris & that is really cool .. But the movie shows the true hardship of how divorce can affect all types of family's this family happens to be messed up but financially very secure .. It's a funky cool weird movie with a good plot line ...
½ March 9, 2013
How beautiful it is to be young.
November 18, 2012
Not sure why this is labelled a romantic comedy, it's more like a funny tragedy that begins with divorce and ends with death.
½ September 18, 2012
Typical romace comedy... nothis special or relevant
½ August 31, 2012
Intriguing. Interesting.
August 5, 2012
Sometimes...some people can just be so French!
July 23, 2012
A wonderful film. I felt for Naomi Watts character.
½ July 16, 2012
It's just not that interesting.
½ July 4, 2012
I have seen Kate Hudson in better movies; however; it is good movie to watch if out of cash and at home with a glass of tea.
½ May 18, 2012
All over the place. Semi-amusing.
½ April 14, 2012