Luther - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Luther Reviews

July 19, 2016
Important subject matter - unimportant film.
April 22, 2016
Rating: 61%
Though the acting is solid and the premise is respectable, Luther instead relies on trite storytelling and unoriginal characters to try and get its point across.
September 15, 2015
I watched this in my history class. Good performances and interesting for someone who didn't know about Luther or the Reformation beforehand.
September 15, 2015
My church history professor showed us this movie after a lecture about Martin Luther. The movie was indeed powerful because I understand better what was really happening during the Reformation.

Overall, this movie maybe a little bit dull, however, due to my pre-understanding of Martin Luther's life, this biopic is extremely well-made movie.

Know the story then watch this movie.
April 19, 2015
I am particularly interested in the movie, but it tries to cover too much--not enough time is devoted to any character or arc.
December 16, 2014
A very good movie about a very interesting person... :) It also made me feel proud that what Martin Luther has fought for in the 16th century, the Bulgarians have achieved in the 9th - translating the Bible into their own language and establishing an independent Bulgarian church...:)
August 25, 2014
Not even close to being the best of historic films by any stretch, but it's passable.
May 28, 2014
Together with an excellent performance from Joseph Fiennes and a story that stays true to history, Luther makes for an inspiring and well-made film
½ November 8, 2013
Though it suffers from a distinct lack of energy, Luther is bolstered by good writing, great production designs and costumes, and excellent acting.
October 29, 2013
Luther is a story worth knowing. This is a well-done telling of his story. It may not be perfect in every way, but it's worth telling and seeing. I find his life very inspiring.
July 31, 2013
not usually what interests me, but I found myself engaged and wanting to know what was going to happen.
½ May 6, 2013
A wonderful adaptation of Martin Luther. Joseph Fiennes did a great job portraying him.
May 5, 2013
Good movie. Very interesting and educational.
½ April 13, 2013
This is definitely a movie with an agenda, meaning that it's only interested in giving a sympathetic portrayal of Martin Luther, and clearly distinguishing the Catholic church as the "bad guys." Luther's story is an interesting one, and one that has every right to be told in this medium, but here it just never reaches that epic feel that it seems so desperate to grasp. There are some strong performances, especially from Fiennes, and the settings can be quite beautiful, but in the end it basically ends up feeling like an okay made-for-TV movie. The story it's telling is interesting, so if you don't already know it then it's worth a look. But if you do, it really just feels like it's going through the motions. It never quite breathes life into the story; it just sort of puts it on display. There's moments where you can glimpse what might have been, but the end result just didn't leave a strong impression on me. By the time the credits rolled, my emotions and thoughts hadn't really been swayed much one way or the other. It's not bad, it's just okay.
March 12, 2013
Interesante pelicula historica y biografica de un tema poco tocado en el cine. Pudo haberse sacado mejor partido de ella mostrando un discurso critico en lugar de darle un toque idealizado que, como siempre, colocan los logors anglosajones como lo mejor de la humanidad. Recreacion excelente.
January 7, 2013
I can't say that I liked this film. But I give them credit for getting most of the history standpoint out there
January 2, 2013
I thought this was a great cinematic portrayal of the story of Luther. I'm not knowledgable enough to comment on its accuracy, but it's a beautifully filmed movie, very worth watching
½ December 20, 2012
In the words of my history teacher, this movie is "Nuclear-powerful". As a Christian myself, I believe that this is a must-see for everyone. Now, the movie did have a few... dull points, especially when he was writing (practically all the time). It's not a 5 star movie, but it's sure a five star story.
December 7, 2012
Will have to watch this one. Not necassarily good or bad. Will see. Want to watch!
½ December 2, 2012
The script lacks a proper flow, and the production is amateurish at times in a way that makes it difficult to understand and believe the setting. Peter Ustinov's supporting role is the highlight, while the rest of the movie feels half hearted or lacks professionalism. Perhaps most irritating is the sanitization of history and figures, which may make it more comfortable, but renders it uninteresting. The less demanding of like-minded theologians will probably be satisfied though.