Silent Night - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Silent Night Reviews

½ January 8, 2015
A great World War II film based on a true story. Fitting for any time of year really, but especially good for Christmas. Check this film out if you're in the mood for a touching drama.
March 13, 2014
Very similar to the film Joyeux Noël.
½ December 28, 2013
This was pretty good, a Christmas movie without all the commercialism and clichés. I liked how this started out in modern times with a grandfather telling his story and then we see him as a young boy with his mother during WWll. He and his mother (played by a mostly German speaking and almost unrecognizable Linda Hamilton) have taken refuge in a cabin which is invaded by American and then German soldiers. She persuades them to lay down their weapons and break bread together, pooling their meager rations for a Christmas eve feast. This did come across a bit far fetched at times, in regards to how quickly the men said "Okay" to leaving their guns outside and bonding over pineapple pudding but on the same note they ended up having a lot in common. The 15 year old German boy-soldier was particularly heart wrenching. This is based on real events which makes me like it even more. Rough time in history for so many people. 12.26.13 (2)
December 13, 2012
One of my favourite Xmas movies!
May 23, 2012
Very good movie for a hallmark standard!
January 24, 2012
Very good movie for a hallmark standard!
December 10, 2011
An interesting story of a Christmas eve during WW II and one night of peace between a few German and American solders. Based on a true story.
½ September 18, 2011
loved this movie! very heartfelt and i love that it is based on a true story. better to watch during the christmas holiday! :)
June 14, 2011
Based on True Story. But a tad sappy.
January 5, 2011
This was a very good movie about a family and soldiers from both the German Side & American Side who got stuck at a home in the middle of the Battle of the Bulge durring Christmas. They are forced by a family at a home not to fight and to get ride of there weopons. These soldiers manage to celebrate with what rations they have on them A Christmas dinner no matter how small.
½ January 1, 2011
Great movie, very heart felt and full of meaning. Shows how Christmas can bring us all together.
½ March 20, 2010
It could have been predictable sappy and corny story if not based on a true story. Accents played by actors bother me somewhat but overall was not so bad. How did Linda Hamilton end up in small budget Hallmark movie after cool Terminators is beyond me.
January 30, 2010
I enjoyed this movie, albeit I only saw it once on TBN at like 2 a.m., so it might not be as good as I remember.
½ December 7, 2009
Probably one of the best made for Tv movies I've ever seen. Emotionally strong with fine performances. This is what Christmas is really about. Putting aside all our petty differences to come together and celebrate CHRISTmas
½ December 1, 2009
This movies is a recent addition to my favorite Christmas movies. Such a great story of American & German soliders putting aside hostilities for Christmas Day.
½ July 31, 2009
So, while finishing up some work the other night, I flipped through the channels and found this unassuming little film called "Silent Night" on Hallmark HD. The synopsis mentioned German soldiers and American soldiers, stuck together in a house on Christmas Eve during the Battle of the Bulge. And featuring Linda Hamilton (?) somehow.

While there were moments in this film that certainly felt like a Hallmark card, where the music builds to a tear-jerking crescendo, or characters declare how much they've learned or changed, and while there were many more moments that fell into the hilarious parodies of old war movies (i.e. "Come on, Sarge! You're gonna make it, Sarge!" etc.), overall, "Silent Night" was a nice look at humanity in the middle of war. Not likely to shock or offend, not likely to win any awards, not as gritty or realistic as "Joyeux Noel" or "Midnight Clear," but I suppose it's a good option to show your high school history students when you don't feel like teaching for a day.
½ January 2, 2009
Intense, yet heart warming drama set at christmas time, but keeps the sentimentalities to a minimum. I think Linda Hamilton fans will love watching her play a concerned mother who possesses a strong will to protect her son and avoid bloodshed. There are good performances all around as the soldiers blow hot and cold at eachother, trying to survive the ceasefire. Everybody ends up questioning their part in the war, and it ends on a high note. Probably the best TV movie I've seen.
½ October 26, 2008
Really good movie.
World War 2, German sodiers and American soldiers having a peaceful christmas dinner together under the same roof.
½ August 6, 2008
Very nice "made-for-TV" WW2 movie based on a true story...

I thought that Linda Hamilton delivered a very solid performance and is very convincing as a German Frau... She really doesn't sound phony at all...
The whole cast is actually pretty good in this tale about unlikely friendship in the worst of time...
While still being much different, it reminded me a bit of the movie "Joyeux Noel"...

This movie was also shot here in Quebec (in the Montreal area)... ;-)