Sylvia Reviews

• Jun 04, 2018

I should've heeded such warnings: FLAT. Nearly everything from story, tone, character arc, dialogue, editing, sound, cinematography...seem flat or underwhelmingly average (in 2018). For a biopic supposedly about passionate poets falling in/out of love, little poetry or passion oozes from, or even jumps off, the screen. Younger people might refer to the flat tedium as simply, BORING. As an adult, I still did not really care for any character by the film's conclusion. The lack of connection and apathy are in direct opposition of what we're likely supposed to feel at the end. If anything, I felt relief, then disappointment. SKIP this snoozer.

• May 02, 2015

So flat. So terrible.

So flat. So terrible.

• Jan 19, 2015

It's almost heartbreaking but it isn't. Gwyneth Paltrow was ok but I expected much more. Daniel Craig was unlikeable as usual but its production design is decent I suppose but the film lags, failing its potential as a good movie. The story of Sylvia Plath is one that is very tragic as one would know if you read the Bell Jar but Ted and Sylvia just doesn't make that cut and it's a real shame.

• Sep 07, 2014

Not a great film but a very interesting documentary, hence the positive review

Not a great film but a very interesting documentary, hence the positive review

• Jun 16, 2014

Someday, somebody will make a really great movie about Sylvia Plath.

Someday, somebody will make a really great movie about Sylvia Plath.

• Aug 16, 2013

Should be called Ted and Sylvia. It concentrates more on her marriage than anything else, there is no deviation from them, its almost like Sylvia had no friends always alone. Paltrow I thought was exceptional shame about the script

• Aug 13, 2013

Yes, this movie had some issues. The sound editing was lacking, the music was overly dramatic, and some of the scenes were confusing. However, as a Sylvia Plath fan I found the movie very interesting and it did wonderful job making me care about the main characters. There were certainly some heartrending scenes in this movie that will keep it memorable in my mind.

• Jul 24, 2013

?????????????????????????????????????????????????

?????????????????????????????????????????????????

• Jul 16, 2013

Gwenith Paltrow completely carries the film, but when a performance is that good, it's not too horrible of a thing. But in the end, I kind of wish there was more to it.

• May 03, 2013

I wish the movie would have shown more of her life, but I do feel it did a good job of showing her poetic side.