The Missing - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Missing Reviews

June 21, 2016
A Must See If You Are Into Western, Oh And James Horner Score Is A Masterpiece!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
½ February 21, 2016
Scenic with a couple of well shot scenes. Tommy Lee Jones growls his way through the script and Cate Blanchett is a hard ass Dr. Quinn medicine woman. Together they go on a quite engrossing rescue mission.
January 26, 2016
A pretty good addition to the modern day western, mainly thanks to Ron Howard's direction and Cate Blanchett's performance. I'm not a huge Howard fan (apart from Happy Days) but I'm liking his more recent films. Tommy Lee Jones was good too but he really is a one trick Pony of late, maybe he should try something else for a change because he's becoming a parody of himself. Overall, a pretty good film.
½ January 23, 2016
Blanchett is great in this film. But what a creepy movie........
½ January 16, 2016
Two actors I like a lot have been wasting their time on a movie with a ridiculous plot. The downtrodden menu consists of 'bad' Native Americans Indians and 'good' Christian settlers.
November 13, 2015
captivating characters, decent enough story line and it was believable enough where I didn't want to throat punch myself.

It's well worth the watch (if you can stomach movies without stuff blowing up every 6 seconds, or actual dialogue without cursing every 5th word.
½ September 3, 2015
Westerns will never make a comeback as long as they make crap like this.
½ July 10, 2015
Well acted but a lighter directing touch would have helped this action western.
April 5, 2015
A good movie if you like your westerns without a lot of fluff. Maggie's older daughter is kidnapped by a creepy native psychopath, and it is up to Maggie and her father (who she detests) to save her. As well as dealing with the kidnappers, the relationship between Maggie and her dad must be settled. There is a lot going on in this movie.
March 14, 2015
Crazy things happen all the time.One must not let that determine our date....FACEURFATE
½ February 14, 2015
This is a western about child/women slavery. This kind of thing happened. Though rescues, probably, not so much. Why the bad reviews? No one interested in women's issues? One of my favorites.
½ January 22, 2015
The Missing is undoubtably Ron Howard's absolute worst film. Never have I seen a film so uninteresting or boring in my life. It makes no sense whatsoever and should not be viewed by anyone ever.
January 18, 2015
classic western

haven't seen many so I may not be as knowledgable as most critics. I've seen stagecoach, the sergio Leone no name trilogy and the new 3:10 to yuma. I love all my westerns and this one's right there with them. a little brutal but has a heart to it as well.
January 7, 2015
Can't overcome its shortcomings.
½ November 24, 2014
good solid western better theb I remembered
October 20, 2014
What a load of RUBBISH.
September 22, 2014
Never thought I would see Tommy Lee Jones play an Indian but alas The Missing went ahead and did just that. Though The Missing never really becomes a classic western it does have some intense scenes but just never seemed to pull it all together to reach its potential.
September 11, 2014
This movie has some great performances from Tommy Lee Jones and Cate Blanchett but still loses pace mid way. Its still worth the watch
½ May 21, 2014
I got to say is that "The Missing" is one dreadful and complicated western thriller I have have seen. The performances that is given in this movie are terrible. "Cate Blanchett gives a solid performances, but not enough to hold the attention." But she try to make a good performances I have to say about that. The directing by Ron Howard is fine. The screenplay by Kenneth Kaufman is okay. The score is fine. Not a good movie at all!
April 28, 2014
Directed by Ron Howard, and adapted from Thomas Eidson's 1996 novel The Last Ride. Howard picked up this film after his plans to do a new version of The Alamo fell through, so he looked for another western, and this was on his to-do list at the time. It has a very good cast all giving stellar performances, but it does drag quite a bit and it all comes across as being very melodramatic. Set in New Mexico in 1885, Maggie Gilkeson (Cate Blanchett) lives on a ranch with her two daughters Lilly (Evan Rachel Wood) and Dot (Jenna Boyd), she is visited by her estranged father Samuel Jones (Tommy Lee Jones), who abandoned Maggie years before, but she is still unable to forgive him. But when Lilly ends up being kidnapped by hoodlum Pesh-Chidin (Eric Schweig), who also killed Maggie's boyfriend Brake Baldwin (Aaron Eckhart) in the process. Maggie must team up with Samuel if they stand any chance of getting her back. They team up with Native American Kayitah (Jay Tavare) who is looking for his son taken by the gang. It is a film which tries to do good, and Howard is the right man to do a western, but he could have done better than this and it's all been done ages ago in other westerns, which comes across a bit heavy and soppy in a lot of places, and he does get some brilliant performances from his cast, Blanchett especially