The Outsider - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Outsider Reviews

½ August 14, 2016
You know...I enjoyed this movie. The story has been told a bazillion times, so maybe it is my affection for Naomi Watts or my fandom of anything John Noble does..but I really enjoyed this.
½ January 2, 2016
Excellent movie. Wish it would be on again......
December 16, 2014
Being overlong and highly predictable didn't diminish my enjoyment of this Showtime Western. Naomi Watts gives a tremendous performance as a widow in a Mennonite-like community where outsiders are looked harshly upon. She takes in a gunslinger who has nearly died and allows him to stay until he is well (and beyond). I didn't feel much chemistry between Watts and Daly, but the performances overrode that. Worth seeking out.
December 26, 2013
I loved this movie, Naomi Watts, and Tim Daly were fantastic in it.
May 13, 2012
Naomi Watts did a great job and the chemistry was good between her and Tim Daly. Overall it probably could have been a little better but still enjoyable to watch.
March 18, 2012
I almost didn't want to watch this due to the "western" genre classification. This movie definitely has many bits of that, but I personally would consider it more a romantic drama. ....I have kept my eye on Tim Daly ever since Wings. He is very good, and I swear to god he is getting better, and better looking. That aside..this move was well done, and enjoyable. Great acting all around. Good story, too.
January 6, 2012
½ June 13, 2011
Romantic western about an Armish woman who takes in a sick man and ends up being disassociated by her community. The accompaning music is poignant.
June 18, 2010
Nice story of two people from opposite sides of the track who find that love can overcome prejudice. The acting in this movie was good and I enjoyed it quite abit.

I recommend it for anyone interested in Western movies ... or love stories.
May 8, 2010
A very good film about having faith in someone against your better judgment and the opinion of your family and friends. However, I found it very upsetting that she would give up her faith and be shunned by her entire community for a man who had murdered people for most of his life. Kind of unbelievable.
May 2, 2010
Prety good storyline
April 26, 2010
Good movie. Better than I expected. I'm not usually that fond of westerns, but this one is very well done. Except for Keith Carradine's beard...THAT was hysterically ridiculous!
April 13, 2010
a very heart-felt love story that won me over despite myself. honestly.. the first five minutes of it let me to thinking i had wasted my money to go out of my way and get this movie. but Naomi Watts stroke all the right notes as a young widow whose husband has just been murdered in cold blood over his land that was once owned by some western gangsters or what not. David Carradine.. well what can i say about the great David Carradine! he plays a doctor who despite his better judgement, removes the bullet from Tim Daly's character after Watt's had saved his life. it slowly revealed to her that he is a cold blooded gunslinger and she's not too sure if she can trust him. but his strength grows.. so does his love for her and her child. and he's willing to do anything to protect them! and at the same time.. her character is struggling because none of her family approves of him living in the same house as her. and by the end is then forced to make a choice between love and her religion. is she really willing to sacrifice never talking to her family again? never stepping inside of a church??

Naomi Watts made this movie for me! Tim Daly was an entertaining and i felt strong performer! and to me this worked because of the love story and not cause of the battles. and it's also a journey of self-discovery for Watt's character! so i definitely say it's worth it to go out of your way to find this movie! it's rather brilliant! and visuals are quite astonishing! gave the feeling that you really were back in the old west or what not.
½ January 28, 2010
Pretty good, liked it. Seems like there should have been more to the story and the ending unless they meant to make a sequel or TV show out of it. Over all it was good. Hated that just because someone feel in love or was a free thinker the community shunned them, this does go against the love and tolerance of the scriptures I know. But stuff like this still happens today because of narrow religious thinking.
½ December 19, 2009
Plain society in a western... that's a little different. Decent acting, decent story. Though it still has some of the formulaic bits from westerns and romances, the plain life makes it more interesting.
½ August 23, 2009
I'm giving this 3 and a half stars because of Naomi Watts. She did a great job and the chemistry was good between her and Tim Daly. Overall it probably could have been a little better but still enjoyable to watch.
July 21, 2009
It was good and cute but sad at parts.
½ April 8, 2009
Romantic on a superficial level confusing lust with love. I can't help but think that if he truly loved her he would not have allowed her to do something that violated her beliefs but would first become a member of the plain way.
March 28, 2009
No thankyou - Not interested
January 26, 2009
I watched this on the Hallmark channel and really loved it--a very satisfying love story--great acting and dialogue and costumes and story. And of course, Tim Daly is easy on the eyes. :)