The Company - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Company Reviews

August 3, 2015
Campbell is excellent but the movie is all over the place,some may like that I did not.
August 2, 2015
Altman's signature fly-on-the-wall modus operandi on the ins and outs of a ballet company makes great infotainment and the purposeless story is just a pathetic backdrop.
April 27, 2014
best part of this.movie is James Franco making eggs with no shirt on.
January 2, 2014
Robert Altman drag his camera behind the curtains of a dancing troop for our greatest pleasure. The film is highly interesting if you like classical dance. Well acted & beautifully shot it truly deserves a look.
January 1, 2014
My Favorite Film Is 1941's Citizen Kane.
½ January 2, 2013
Altman ... whose intuition for placing the camera in just the right spot has always been impressive. In the dance scenes, it's flawless.
December 5, 2012
Uninteresting, I really expected more from Altman, Just a showcase of dance pieces & I never liked dance movies
½ November 25, 2012
This film was more like an episode of PBS' Great Performances than a theatrical film, but very enjoyable for someone like me who like ballet. Unlike Black Swan and The Turning Point, Robert Altman's picture is not driven by the dramatic lives of the characters, but the creative process of putting on professional ballet. The lives of members of the company are dealt with almost as an afterthought and just as briefly as one. The real star is the Joffrey Ballet.
½ September 16, 2012
I'm not sure how I missed this Robert Altman film, but this one is as good an any of Altman's best. The dance at an outdoor venue during a lightning storm or where Neve Campbell and James Franco just watch each other in a barroom are simply moments of pure cinema. It's a beautiful and elegant film, though like most Altman films, it's not conventional and not for all tastes.
½ September 4, 2012
Realistic portrayal of a ballet company's season.
½ September 3, 2012
Altman's mosiac protrayl of a dance company may not give a traditional protagonist to follow, but it never lacks to inspire something of awe and recognition for the task of making art.
June 20, 2012
Deep riveting emotional drama-musical movie...
½ April 14, 2012
B-

I felt as if i was watching a ballet documentary. Not saying thats a bad thing though. I found it to be very informing on how ballet is not only physically tough as it is mentally. I only watched this movie because Neve Campbell was in it and of course she was amazing.
April 7, 2012
"The Company" is Robert Altman's most naturalistic and expressive film. The thing you have to understand about the picture is that Altman is not concerned with crafting a structured narrative. He is concerned with observing. "The Company" is a fly on the wall peek into the world of a ballet company (a fictional one of course). The behind the scenes-esque approach is intercut with beautiful dance sequences. Neve Campbell, Malcolm McDowell and James Franco bring a human, organic touch to the film. "The Company" is not for everyone. Your tolerance of the film will stem from your relationship to dance and your ability to be a voyeur in this world and not an active participant. In his penultimate feature film, Robert Altman was still finding new and interesting ways to tell a cinematic story.
½ March 19, 2012
Great dance sequences but otherwise completely pointless.
March 6, 2012
cute romantic movie, its a total chick flick.
½ January 10, 2012
I love what Robert Altman does but "The Company" is definitely one of his weaker films. Well, I liked how he created a colourful movie, bringing out the beauty and art of ballet. This movie gives us the opportunity to see the daily lives of professional ballet dancers. But generally, it's more a movie for ballet dancers than for film lovers....it is overall pretty uninteresting and boring.
½ December 2, 2011
A bit too documentary for my tastes, but still good.
½ November 18, 2011
One of the most satisfying Altman movies, produced by Neve Campbell. Honest and true depiction of the ballet world with wonderful interpretive numbers and nothing for cheap effect. Dazzling.
October 22, 2011
Documentary style dance movie who gives an insight into the life of a ballet company. There isn't any big story here, the focus lies on the dancing and the everyday life of the company. I really liked the various choreographies, the dancing was stunning! Nevertheless the film is a bit long and somehow I miss the struggles or negative sides of the hard training schedule.