Monster - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Monster Reviews

½ July 14, 2016
Charlize Theron's unrecognizable brilliant performance and Christina Ricci's undeniable sense of affection are the things that make this film whole.
½ July 4, 2016
Monster is a really good watch; very entertaining in that it keeps you engaged the whole movie..there are no boring parts. Theron truly deserved and earned that Oscar; THIS is what an Oscar worthy performance looks like. Theron truly committed herself to the role, gaining weight and committing to looking haggard, as well as studying the character in depth beforehand. She nails the impression of the actual killer, Aileen W, spot on. I can't believe how much she resembles her physically as well as her mannerisms. Certain ppl win Oscars for roles like Jennifer Lawrence in Silver Linings playbook (really???) and even Brie Larson in Room, when their performances were perhaps simply a little stronger than average. But that's another topic :) Christina Ricci was great in her role too in this film. I say you can't go wrong choosing to watch this movie; great acting and great story-telling. A little depressing, but the film makes one look at the 'bigger picture' and gain a broader perspective on life and all the different types of people in it. Life ain't always fair, and to be sure some people are 'dealt shittier hands than others'.
May 2, 2016
Interesting characters built by great actresses drive the film, and the plot, into something very interesting and fast paced.
May 1, 2016
An unsettling, heartbreaking, raw, and emotional biopic that shines a brand new light on serial killer Aileen Wuornos. Never before have I felt so much sorrow and pain for someone like Wuornos. Charlize Theron not only gives the best performance of her career, but her portrayal is one of the best performances I have witnessed on film, period. Flawlessly written and directed by Patty Jenkins, and includes beautifully captivating music from BT. Theron may have stripped down to the bare minimum when it comes to looks, but she has never been more beautiful, figuratively speaking, on screen than she is in Monster.
May 1, 2016
A landmark masterpiece of cinema
April 12, 2016
Good film; easily Theron's best work.
March 24, 2016
Fascinating in a horrifying way. Charlize Theron is the Monster, making you shiver while you watch. Christina Ricci, usually not of interest to me, is convincing and the whole thing..... sad and very depressing.
½ March 22, 2016
Charlize Theron's strangely brutal and pained performance is entrancing and mesmerizing in a movie that doesn't offer much else.
February 19, 2016
Charlize Theron is outstanding, undoubtedly one of the best performances I have ever seen. When a film can make you empathise for a serial killer, that's when you realise how effective it is.
February 16, 2016
Patty Jenkins does a bang up job writing and directing this thumbnail bio based on the eye popping true story about a hooker turned serial killer. Charlize Theron really gets into the skin of a soul abused for years and violently desperate for any kind of real affection, and Christina Ricci so inhabits the role as the vessel of that affection that I began to hate the truth depicted in their relationship. Overall a visceral film experience, not for the faint of heart.
February 2, 2016
Overall the movie was great. I think it's a must see for everybody. It definitely sheds a different light on a world we thought we understood. Charlize definitely deserved the Oscar. She was amazing! I seriously didn't recognize her. It was like a completely different person. There are some intense and shocking parts.
January 24, 2016
why can't I find this movie in my search for xfinity on demand?
January 12, 2016
Awe inspiring.. From the acting, to the gripping true story. It became a personal investment where you're left feeling mixed emotions that challenge societal justice.
December 29, 2015
Charlize Theron has always resembled absolute beauty in my eyes since I was a kid and seeing her playing this role is mind blowing, one of the best actresses in Hollywood!.
½ September 14, 2015
* The performance of Charlize Theron is exceptional. She portrays Aileen Wuornos to perfection.
* A fascinating story told extremely well.
½ September 6, 2015
How could be a Actress simply transform to a monster ? still can not come to to terms !
½ September 4, 2015
A brand new Charlize Theron.
August 8, 2015
Aileen Wuornos, one demented and effed up woman, but now you have backstory and in some ways you feel bad for her. Amazing performances by Charlize Theron (Wuornos) and Christina Ricci (Selby - her lesbian lover).
½ August 7, 2015
Charlize Theron gives a performance that is scary, heartbreaking, and all around absolutely stunning. The movie would be nothing without her.
August 2, 2015
One of my all-time favorite movies. Extraordinary. So bleak. Roger Ebert called Charlize Theron's performance as "one of the greatest performances in the history of the cinema". He is SO RIGHT. She's unreal here. So incredible. See this before you die.