Bobby - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bobby Reviews

½ February 10, 2012
A Bollywood classic from Raj Kapoor, a neorealist who saw the light. Corny as hell but bursting with energy and countless cutaways to blossoming trees as the characters are about to kiss. Great taster for the ACMI RK retrospective.
July 28, 2011
I thought the two made a really cute couple back in the day. I liked it, besides all the typical over-dramatic stuff.
½ July 26, 2011
BOBBY (1973) -Rishi Kapoor, Dimple Kapadia, Farida Jalal. Total Bollywood classic! Has so many actors I recognize - and they're all so YOUNG!! Great songs! Really fun to watch!
½ June 9, 2011
BOBBY is a film I've always been fascinated by. It's a typical Bollywood love story but with a difference. Sure it got a little melodramatic at times and the editing can get choppy. It's not perfect but I was delighted and surprised by how fresh it stills seems. I noticed that besides the fact that Raj Kapoor used a pretty cliche' formula he presented the film in a different and unique way that Bollywood filmmakers have been trying to copy ever since. The first thing I'd like to mention is the energy in this film! It's bursting with energy from a filmmaker who is clearly excited by what he's doing here. I loved that he actually used real teenagers...and then through his characters he perfectly captured how being a teenager feels. The confusions, the uncertainties and the sexual awakenings. Next, he presented us a complex relationship between Rishi Kapoor's character and his parents. So, it wasn't just about the fact that Bobby was poor and he was rich, it wasn't just THAT conflict..the conflict was actually deeper. We also noticed a rift between the parents themselves, in one poignant scene when they are arguing about him..his wife confesses how he never had time for her. All this is shown with great sensitivity; sincerity and intelligence...a film like this coming from a man who at the time was 50 years old is quite an interesting thing. Bollywood films after BOBBY, like Qayamat se Qayamat tak while were big hits fail to feel as fresh as this film does...it's just another typical love story without everything that makes BOBBY so special.
½ December 30, 2009
Its corny as hell and it makes suicide seem like a trivial matter, but its Rishi Kapoor, its awesome music, its Dimple in a bikini... its a classic.
December 28, 2008
what's with Raj Kapoor and tragedy, eyh?
July 24, 2008
18?! That dude looked like he was 50!
I saw this at an Indian restaurant once. I didn't get all the singing. And I thought it was the food that made me sick.
April 11, 2008
Charming teen romance film with great turns from Rishi Kapoor and Dimple Kapadia and also has brilliant songs. The ending is quite corny and it's perhaps a bit too long but still a great romantic film.
November 5, 2007
My favourite Hindi during my childhood days...ah...Rishi Kapoor..
September 18, 2007
A pure love story classic.
September 1, 2007
another great film. did you know how old dimple was when she entered into bolly 16 that's the youngest age ever a girl has done in bolly. im proud of her. i mean as in a lead role.
June 5, 2007
The epitome of a Bollywood film.
May 5, 2007
Jhooth bole kaua kaate.
½ November 27, 2006
So-so. The RFK speeches in the film were touching and the issues are as relevant today as they were at the time. There seemed to be too many characters followed though, the A-list celebs weren't neccessary.