Otogiriso (St. John's Wort) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Otogiriso (St. John's Wort) Reviews

½ November 12, 2013
It isn't my favourite genre to begin with, but this Japanese horror film/video game adaptation is really scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Featuring a completely disjointed plot which fails to generate even a smidgeon of viewer interest until it reaches it's climax, where even then the best scenes appear to have been lifted from Brian De Palma's "Carrie". Then comes some stupid alternate ending twist (again complete with Carrie rip-off) that adds nothing to the story and generally becomes confusing.

Basically, I'm giving this 1.5 stars only because I'm feeling particularly generous.
February 4, 2011
The plot holes disappoint me to no end. Anyone who dare to call this a J-Horror movie clearly hasn't seen much of them.
½ October 8, 2009
dissapointed again.. was supposed to be original.. but... just made me think of a bad video game sequence. sure does have some pretty nice images at times, but unfortunatly nothing great, nothing new... blah.
August 5, 2009
You need to get used to and accept that Asian movies are slow.
July 5, 2009
In the RT data base twice. Cheaply made, often confusing and disjointed. There are some spooky moments but the story is so muddled it doesn't really matter much. Unimpressive acting.
July 5, 2009
½ May 24, 2009
nice idea, but in the end it was quite boring. it could have been something better.
October 3, 2008
Probably the worst mix of horror and computer games I have ever seen. Bottom of the barrel asian horror. Everything in the film sucked, except the art.
½ September 3, 2008
Interesting concept, could have been executed a little better I guess.
½ July 3, 2008
Some creepy moments, but many plot holes.
May 3, 2008
The fact that I like video games such as Resident Evil or Fatal Frame may have something to do with why I enjoyed this movie. Not as scary as I hoped, but it did keep my attention...the film maintained an eerie atmosphere. Many scenes remind you of other scary films that are out there. I couldn't understand why my friends who saw it with me thought "it was a complete waste of time" or "it didn't make any sense" or thought he "wanted his money back". Oh, well. Not bad for me.
April 3, 2008
If you like computer games like Silent Hill then this may be the film for you. The colour palette and certain in-shots are very similar to those games. The plot is a little confusing but very engrossing.
March 11, 2008
wow, who the FUCK recommended this to me again? Shame on them, I actually bought it *cries*
February 9, 2008
All cheap style, poor story. If you like wacky-colored filming and music video characters, this is your film.
½ January 5, 2008
The hand-held camera angle is interesting and effective for a haunted house film, though the ending is a bit silly
January 3, 2008
I remember my brother took those pills for some reason
½ December 26, 2007
Good visuals, with a decent storyline...somewhat confusing.
½ October 21, 2007
This COULD have been a great movie, but too much is left undone. Ideas are fresh, but they go nowhere.
½ August 30, 2007
i only managed to get half way through and then i got boerd :/
July 25, 2007
It looks nice and the concept is pretty fresh. The storyline seems to draw you in, but throws you back out with such force that you won't even know what hit you. Not to mention all the plot holes.