Man in the Attic - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Man in the Attic Reviews

October 7, 2015
Yet another retelling of The Lodger story (first told on screen by Alfred Hitchcock in 1926 / 1927) offers very little new plot points, but it is still fun.
½ December 1, 2014
Man in the Attic covers the familiar Jack the Ripper tale filmed several times before. This is the fourth cinematic version of Marie Belloc Lowndes' novel "The Lodger", and also one of the lesser versions of the story. This is not to say that it's bad; it features a a very good performance from a young and gaunt Jack Palance. I also enjoyed Frances Bavier (Aunt Bee from The Andy Griffith Show) and Rhys Williams as the elderly couple. It also has an exciting chase scene near the end of the movie. It's just that it can't really compete with either Alfred Hitchcock's 1927 silent version of the movie or Laird Cregar's 1944 version.

On the negative side, there were too many drawn out musical numbers. Moreover, much of the cast was not British, but American, and make no effort to affect a British accent , thereby distracting from the atmosphere of Victorian London. Overfamiliarity with the story also works against it. The scene where Palance turns all the pictures in his room to the wall might have been more effective had I not seen it done better by Hitchcock. Moreover, there are few new aspects in the story. Still, the film does capture the atmosphere of Victorian London and manages to keep you wondering as to whether Palance is actually Jack the Ripper. I always enjoy watching Jack Palance; one thing I've really come to appreciate about him as an actor was that he played a much wider variety of characters than I had previously thought.

½ April 10, 2014
Familiar old-time faces and characters, but slow preceding plot that degenerates into the average predictable mystery. It's hollow, the characters mean very little, and it ends normally. Pretty forgettable for the most part.
February 26, 2014
Constance Smith is a graceful and elegant beauty. No man, sane or not, could resist her delightful charms. Where's my knife!
November 4, 2013
Forgettable Jack The Ripper movie with an early appearance from Jack Palance. A bit of spooky atmosphere... and lots of American (or very poor British) accents in London. Didn't even try to surprise as it leads to an entirely expected conclusion.
½ July 17, 2013
There's apparently no need or reason for this remake. skip this see 'the lodger'
June 8, 2013
Another screen adaptation of Lowndes' novel The Lodger, which tells the tale of a mysterious pathologist suspected of being Jack the Ripper by his landlady. The suit isn't very original, but it's well made and well acted and plays well upon representing the character as an innocent man though all the evidence speaks against him.
bbcfloridabound
March 19, 2013
Another one of those great Black & White old school films, This one Jack Palance plays a great part as Jack the Ripper, never prove he's the ripper, but we the watchers of this film know better. But he's fallen for a girl, and a detective from Scotland Yard has also fallen for her, give you one guess on who is going to win the girls heart. Its one of the better parts that I have seen Jack play. My copy came in a two pack, the other movie was A Blueprint for Murder, Get and enjoy this pair, I did 4 Stars. 3-19-13
October 31, 2012
Mill Creek's 50 Movie Pack: Chilling Classics Reviews

MAN IN THE ATTIC [1953]: Based upon the Novel THE LODGER by Marie Adelaide Belloc Lowndes, which had been First turned into an enduring classic film by Alfred Hitchcock in 1927 as THE LODGER; STORY OF THE LONDON FOG and then adapted by other filmmakers in 1932, 1944 and then in 1953 came the last onscreen adaptation until 2009 titled MAN IN THE ATTIC. Taking place in London in the year of 1888 during Jack the Ripper's killing spree, a quite pathologist takes a room in a lodging house. However his landlady starts to suspect that the lodger is in fact the ripper.

THOUGHTS: while it doesn't hold a legacy of acclaim unlike the Hitchcock version, MAN IN THE ATTIC was the last time the novel would be adapted for the big screen until 2009, a 56 year absence after four adaptations from the 1920's to the 1950's. The film holds up as an average but good Gas Lamp era thriller but other than that its worth only 60%.
June 14, 2012
Decent Jack the Ripper yarn--The Artful Lodger!!
November 4, 2011
Man in the Attic is another adaption of Marie Belloc-Lowndes novel 'The Lodger' about Jack the Ripper. This is a solid adaption but when compared to John Brahm's The Lodger, it really pales in the comparison. The biggest difference between this film is that this version doesnt have the atmosphere which Brahm was able to create in his version. Jack Palance does do a good job as the creepy, Mr. Slade, who is secretly Jack the Ripper. That being said, Laird Creger's version was pretty much perfect and really couldn't be surpassed. I did like how this film handled the murder sequences, using almost entirely the killer's POV which was effective. Not a huge fan of the ending but its a good film with a good story, but I would highly recommend Brahm's version to this one.
April 2, 2011
This movie is hard to rate. It is worth watching because of the acting of Jack (Curly Washburn) Palance and the sly humor between Rhys (Judge Cranston) Williams and Frances (Aunt Bea) Bavier. The rest of the film is disjointed. The score seems to be leftover from a Universal monster movie (maybe The Return of the Wolfman), but someone forgot to tell the director that this was a horror flick. He takes a classic boogeyman figure (they call him Jack the Ripper but that seems to be a gimmick to sell tickets) and then he decides to make a 75 minute drama/comedy/romance including three full scale musical numbers. This leaves him 7 minutes to throw together a little suspense and a car chase scene using carriages. I will not spoil the ending but it is one of those where the director seems to realize he's out of film and decides to call it a wrap.
½ July 5, 2010
It's our duty to protect you from Jack the Ripper

Slade is an eccentric man who works nights for a university in London. He rents an apartment from an intellectual family that stays up on current events. He happens to be arriving at his new apartment in the middle of the infamous Jack the Ripper slayings. Due to his work hours, and eccentric behaviors, some within the family believes Slade may be the infamous serial killer.

"Who could that be?"
"I'm sure if you think carefully, you'll think of a way to figure it out."

Hugo Fregonese, director of Beyond the Sun, Dracula vs. Frankenstein (1970), Apache Drums, Marco Polo (1962), Harry Black and the Tiger, and The Raid, delivers The Man in the Attic. The storyline for this picture is interesting and well delivered. Jack Palance is outstanding in the lead role and Constance Smith and Rhys Williams deliver worthwhile supporting performances.

"Every bachelor in London should be rounded up immediately."

This movie is part of a Thriller box set I received for Christmas a couple years ago from my father. The movies in the set have been inconsistent but I was surprised at how entertaining this picture was. The movie has a slight feel of an old school "who done it" with and interesting sub plot around Jack the Ripper. This is a worthwhile film for those who enjoy the classics.

"The river is like liquid night."

Grade: B+
December 15, 2009
A good crime flick from the early 50s starring the always great Jack Palance and with great supporting cast with Constance Smith and Aunt Bee herself, Frances Bavier. Enjoyed how they throw little red herrings at you, and just the whole atmosphere of the film was supenseful. Palance is just a wonderful actor in how you can see the inner demons in him but at the same time does not over act the role. Constance Smith is gorgeous and is great in her singing routines. Not exactly a whodunit because you basically are told who it is but is just a example of beautiful photography and great acting.
½ November 8, 2009
great little film. good perfomances and direction.
½ August 4, 2009
An average Jack the Ripper movie, but well acted by Jack Palance, Constance Smith, and others.
April 29, 2009
A story abut Jack-The-Ripped.
April 25, 2009
Excellent! Old suspense films offer so much more than those of today. This movie was absolutely fantastic. It built suspense, it had the perfect cast, and an intriguing story!