Envy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Envy Reviews

½ June 25, 2016
Entertaining and humorous.

this guy's neighbor makes an invention he doesn't get into cause he thought it was silly. Then his neighbor makes millions from it.
February 15, 2016
I completely loved this movie and don't understand why everyone hates it so much
December 2, 2015
For some odd reason, Barry Levinson's "Envy" makes me vividly imagine author O. Henry if he wrote a short story about the 1950s homestyle conformity trend, mixing deep human understanding of jealousy as well as what it means to "Keep Up With The Joneses'" in a modern middle-class America. However, unlike my description, Ben Stiller pairs up with Jack Black to convey such a tale. In "Envy", Black concocts a genuine idea for an invention and offers Stiller to join him in his endeavors, splitting the profit 50/50. The product? A spray can, aptly titled "Vapoorize", that allows pet owners to sprinkle the materials over their animal's "business", causing the matter to evaporate in thin air. Black's invention becomes a success overnight and he and his family become millionaires. Unable to maintain his focus, a raging jealousy consumes within Stiller, leading to madcap zaniness and hilarity. Or so you think. "Envy" never hits the viewer with quite the comic nature that both stars are capable of reaching. "Envy" plays out more like a dark comedy that kind of satirizes the conformity of modern suburbs, an interesting take on what is basically one extended poop joke from beginning to end. Christopher Walken, who's appearance is distracting but generates some laughs, plays a homeless man who gives Stiller advice to frame Black for a simple crime. The plot then derails from the focus of Stiller's jealousy to interestingly enough, hiding the body of a murdered horse. The screenplay by Steve Adams, with supposed uncredited help from "Seinfeld" creator Larry David, is weak and relies mainly on the charisma/performances from all of its leads. Black and Stiller work fine together, generating understanding from both characters as to why they are envious of each other. (Stiller craves Black's luxurious lifestyle as Black has marital troubles with Amy Poehler.) This "grass is always greener" story has some fine ideas but never exactly conveys the potential that the film is capable of being, even when the crap does hit the fan. 2.3/5
½ September 21, 2015
The best thing that can be said about this film is that it is an unwatchable disaster.
July 27, 2015
A one joke comedy where even that joke isn't funny.
May 24, 2015
A disaster of a comedy, Envy takes a boatload of talent and a decent enough premise and squanders them on a horrible script. The characters are flat, the soundtrack is grating, the tone is uneven, and worst of all... it's not very funny.
½ March 1, 2015
Released after years of being shelved to capitalize on Jack Black's new found fame with School of Rock, Envy is flat, humorless misfire that was better off unreleased.
February 23, 2015
Envy is a disappointing film. It is a man who becomes increasingly jealous of his friend's new-found success. Ben Stiller and Jack Black give terrible performances. The script is badly written. Barry Levinson did a horrible job directing this movie. I was not impressed with this motion picture.
January 20, 2015
Tenìa todo para ser una buena pelìcula , excepto el guiòn.
January 16, 2015
"I don't know about you guys, but I loved this movie." - The J-Man
½ December 23, 2014
It's hard to believe that the director of the Baltimore Trilogy (Diner, Tin Men, Avalon) made this film. Watched it on Shipflix here on a cruise somewhere near Cuba. Shipflix is a close name for the subject matter of the movie and the result Levinson got. Don't be fooled by the fact he directed it, and that the cast is so stellar (Jack Black, Ben Stiller, Rachel Weisz, Amy Peohler, and Christopher Walken). I'm amazed they made this film. Passed the time on a day at sea, though.
December 5, 2014
Consistently unfunny, but Walken's eccentric character allows it to walk away with a star.
½ August 12, 2014
(First and only viewing - 7/4/2008)
August 11, 2014
It is sooooo bad that it's kinda good.
½ August 9, 2014
Levinson, a fine director at his very lowest.
July 10, 2014
This is one of the most intellectual films I have seen in the past 20 years. The social commentary in this film is almost on the same level as Pain & Gain which to this day is the best film ever made. Jack Black and Ben Stiller deliver what is a hard hitting and emotional film with the relationship between the characters something you can empathise with. Leaving you in awe when it finishes because true friendship will prevail even in the face of adversity. Thank you M Night Babylon for such a great film that made me cry when I watched it.
May 12, 2014
Notorious for being bad. I for one don't hate it as much. It's in the so bad its good category for me. Va-Poo-Rise. I don't know, that's kind of clever.
February 26, 2014
"Envy" the unsung comedic classic starring Ben Stiller and Jack Black, is absolutely hilarious and I'm surprised I haven't reviewed it sooner. When Nick (Black) invents a spray that eliminates dog doo, he becomes a multi-millionaire almost over night and his best friend and neighbor Tim (Stiller) slowly becomes consumed by envy. The series of whacky events that play out are a riot and are tailored for audiences with a quirky sense of humor. The fact that currently the Tomatometer reads at 7% rotten is appalling. This film deserves a second chance and is pure genius.

Christopher Walken is unforgettable as the J-man. The cast is also graced by the lovely Rachel Weisz and Amy Poehler. "Envy" is simply a great comedy that deserves a closer look.
½ February 16, 2014
Tenìa todo para ser una buena pelìcula , excepto el guiòn.