The Punisher - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Punisher Reviews

April 27, 2017
This movie was terrible and good at the same time. The writing, directing, and even the acting was bad. It was also very cheesy and over dramatic at points. But it was still very entertaining to watch because of that and because it's a Punisher movie.
April 17, 2017
one of my favorite Marvel superhero movies and it up there with some of the best superhero movie ever made it better than some of the superhero movies that are getting made to day
April 14, 2017
Loved Thomas Jane in this movie. John Travolta, not so much. The guitar guy and the apartment tenants were cool, but all the other actors gave a half-assed performance.
April 13, 2017
Seriously Underrated. Stylish, Depressing, Thomas Jane is THE Punisher. Funny Moments and Gritty action.
½ March 26, 2017
Oh my gosh, what the hell went wrong with this film!? Sure, some scenes were kinda decent, but for the rest? It felt too cartoonish to pass itself off as an "R" rated Marvel feature! The musical score was out of place! Maybe if it didn't sound like a pink panther tune, this movie could have worked! Even Thomas Janes performance felt a little awkward! And John Travolta? What about him as the villain? He's just playing himself!
This makes me give up hope for Marvel to ever reboot this as a good film!
March 14, 2017
I like Thomas Jane as The Punisher, sue me.
January 31, 2017
It's good movie to watch
January 27, 2017
This Marvel adaptation, made pre-MCU, is a
very much a neutered take on the character. Instead of bloodlust and punishing violence, it's an ho-hum revenge flick.
January 4, 2017
pretty good movie with some cool scenes. felt a but outdated but i still enjoyed it (about 3 viewings)
½ November 21, 2016
Just cool! Simple and cool.
November 8, 2016
Violent but not much else
October 25, 2016
Based on the origin story "Year One" and Garth Ennis' "Welcome Back Frank," this sleeper hit is for serious fans of the comic. But those who know little of Frank Castle's comic exploits will still have a blast.

Tom Jane is the Punisher, a tough hero bent on punishing those who murdered his family. Jane reminded me of Clint Eastwood. He's ripped and doesn't say much because he doesn't need to. He's that tough. I'm not a big Travolta fan, but he does good. His character Howard Saint is basically Bruno Costa, the Floridian money launderer from the "Year One" comic origin series.

Without question, "The Punisher" is the best action movie of 2004. I've seen almost every action movie ever made so I'm a pretty good judge. This flick has a solid story, real conflict, and some dark Garth Ennis-inspired humor. If you like tough-guy movies like "Mad Max," "Die Hard" and "Gladiator," this is right up your alley.

This movie was made for 30 million and has made over 50 million. It was also the #1 DVD when released. If you missed it when it came out I highly recommend you rent it....and have fun!
½ September 25, 2016
It may have flopped critically and in box office takings, but this version of the Punisher is my favorite, saved by a over the top fight with the Russian .
½ September 10, 2016
Felt like I was being punished watching this movie. What are you even doing Travolta?
August 27, 2016
Punisher was the first R rated film I saw and it was only a year when it came out and I'm in my mid teen years now. But overall I thought it was good. They had only a little twist on his origin, they did a great job in making you see things from the Punisher's POV. My only complaint is the costume. Why didn't they at least do something like Warzone.
August 20, 2016
The punisher is just a one man wrecking ball and never gets the momentum going to really gain the trademark name. The film feels amateurish at times and only the battle with The Russian really delivering. The real issue is the writing and direction, they seem messed up with one film while attempting to deliver another. Thomas Jane was superbly cast and it's a shame the producers never explored the real character. The film is the strongest when it plays to the characters strengths, the long revenge plot that has Saint killing others just seens dopey and boring. You know the film is dull when Travolta seems bored in a role he normally nails.
½ August 17, 2016
You will feel that the villians get off easy despite their horrible demises after the massacre you witness them preform.
½ August 16, 2016
At the core there is certainly a good story, John Travolta sadly does not deliver as a villain.
½ August 11, 2016
This film gets so much hate. It had one chessy part at the end; The Punisher blows up some cars to make the skull in explosions.. ok that was bad really bad even. The rest of the film though; never have we seen why the Punisher needs revenge. Yeah the beginning is a little stupid but by the time Frank Castles whole family is getting wiped out (one the whim of a mob bosses wive) they don't pull any punches. The scene where his wife and kid get trampled by the vehicle ergh you feel the pain and they tried to keep it rooted in reality bravo. It's brutal its graphic the pacing and tone are just write. (portrayed in fact better than has been done on the Netflix remake series) Who knew Ben Foster would have such a expansive career after this role. I though Rebecca Romain would continue to rise after a solid performance from her too. Travolta does bad; good (like Costner now with the age; these guys make great bad guys). Thomas Jane should have returned for the sequel. The way he goes about his revenge is legit; too some disagree but it needed to be more than just a bullet to the head. He makes the guy kill his beloved wife and best friend that's deep. Then he kills all his henchmen and brings down his empire classic.
August 9, 2016
Thomas Jane is perfect for the role of The Punisher (though he still pales in comparison to Jon Bernthal) and John Travolta makes an excellent villain. The action sequences are awesome, the performances of the majority of the cast is great and the film, while still not quite as good as the Netflix incarnation seen in season 2 of Marvel's Daredevil, is ultimately the best Punisher film out of all three.