The Punisher - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Punisher Reviews

March 29, 2016
Underrated movie. Not that it's high art, but nobody did Frank Castle better than Thomas Jane, and the film is completely faithful to the comics. It's campy, it's satirical, it's horrifying, it's depressing and some unique things it brings to the revenge thriller genre: exploring the meaninglessness of revenge, a hero who becomes a murderer of murderers. Yes, you don't like Frank Castle, but that doesn't matter anymore. And yes, everything Castle does is deplorable, but this movie is a tragedy. Most 'by the numbers revenge flicks' aren't tragedies. Another thing is that Frank Castle doesn't believe revenge will bring him satisfaction. This was something special.
½ March 26, 2016
Enjoyed it???????????????
March 24, 2016
One star for being so incredibly awful, so unbelievably bad, you keep watching it just to see how terrible a movie can be. It starts bad, & gets worse.
½ March 24, 2016
The titular character's story gets told with enough fashion to know and understand, but it was struggling to hold the heavyweight of the grim and disturbing violence next to the corrupted charm as both changed the film into Marvel's inferior version of the original "Mad Max". (C)
½ March 23, 2016
Oh dear Christ that sucked. Has Thomas Jane ever acted before?
March 20, 2016
When I look back at 2004, I realize that it was the year where I had a lot of regrets. And saying at the time that this movie was the best comic book movie out there is one of those regrets. After the miserable failure from their 1989 flick, Lionsgate Films decided to give it a shot by buying up the filming rights and put their own twist on things by making the story and plot mainly based on two of the Punisher comic book stories. Which were Punisher: Year One and Welcome Back, Frank. However, it would appear that not everyone seemed to have enjoyed this and looking back on it I can see why it doesn't hold the same awesomeness to me when I was 17-years-old. But then again when I was 17, I was mostly contemplating on what to do for the rest of my life so...on with the review!

The plot of this movie makes just a little bit more sense this time around. Only instead of L.A. they take it to Florida, which is...kinda sorta on the right track. But only this time around, not only do a bunch of mobsters kill Frank Castle's wife and kid; they also go to his family reunion bbq and kill his mom, his dad, Cousin Jerry, little niece Sheila, and pretty much anyone else in the Frank Castle family tree is massacred in that scene. I never thought about it until now, but God damn that just feel like over kill. The antagonist's in this movie feel completely out of place except for the two hitmen. John Travolta's character looks and acts like a tired overweight Vincent Vega who mostly whines and has a hissy hit whenever The Punisher foils one of his operations. And that was another problem which was Thomas Jane as The Punisher himself. Sure he may look and sound the part, but acts way too much like a boy scout. Like he goes around telling abusive ex-boyfriends "Don't play with knives" or "I'm going to burn your back with a torch" but uses a cold ice pop instead. After his family is killed, he spends an hour of this movie setting up these elaborate plans to have John Saint kill his friend and wife which is utterly pointless, steal his money, and interrupt just ONE drug shipment. The only "punishing" that he does in the second half is kill two goons in a lobby and two out of town hitmen that John Saint hired. One of them being The Russian who is the ONLY comic book character that came from the Punisher comics. Well...the fourth character if you include his three neighbors in this movie who each of them have their own individual personality which was okay for the most part. The third act was about the only time where it really gets going with The Punisher finally doing what he should have done an hour ago. And that is stock up on every arsenal you have and go all out. It was about as entertaining as chewing a new stick of gum. Very flavorful, but ends pretty quickly. The soundtrack is okay as well if you're in the mood for some pump up music. Overall, this movie has more of a step up but with a bad execution and yet it left us wanting more. But it never happened and the closet we ever came to something like that was a Punisher cameo at the end of Spider-Man 2. Look it up, he's in there. Which is why I give this a two out of five stars.
March 19, 2016
John Travolta's awful acting during the final death scene ruined the movie for me. Good flick otherwise but a tad uneven. Thomas Jane was better in this than in The Mist (his ending cry of anguish ruined that one for me too).
½ March 16, 2016
I've seen worse superhero movies, but that's not to say The Punisher makes up for numerous story flaws and weak characterization. Watch the Daredevil show's version instead.
February 25, 2016
The first true adaptation of the Marvel anti-hero (discounting the Dolph Lundgren version) The Punisher is a surprisingly memorable revenge pic that contains great performances and enough bloodshed to please action fans like myself. John Travolta is well-cast as the sleazy, mob leader whose biggest enemy is his ego and Thomas Jane commands the screen as the wounded and pissed-off, Frank Castle; who seemed to invent the growly, Dark Knight voice long before, Christian Bale did. The story is tragic-as-hell and the massacre sequence during Frank's family reunion is still hard-hitting and ruthless to watch, the perfect set-up to our vigilante's payback. Castle's revenge scheme is easily my favourite part of the film and it's truly brilliant how he manages to get the villains to do the dirty work for him. Many fans and critics disliked the film upon release calling it too violent or too tame and while I find it strikes a nice balance in the middle, the director was unable to make the truly viscious film he wanted to as the studio had no faith in a bankable, R-rated "superhero". I will say that the climax is a tad underwhelming after the amazing fight sequence between the Punisher and The Russian, but if you put yourself in the character's shoes; he is very efficient in dispatching his foes at the end. A misjudged film that deserves a solid reboot as Thomas Jane is the best incarnation of the character we've had so far and in my eyes; he IS the Punisher.
½ February 22, 2016
the Russian fight scene is amazing
½ February 16, 2016
72%
Saw this on 15/2/16
There is not much violence and the cast is actually good, it's actually one of those rare occasions where John Travolta doesn't fuck things up. The punisher may have some funny moments,but on the whole the film lacks an identity and a reason for its existence.
February 8, 2016
A revenge flick that does a good job at drawing out emotion and has us feeling like the main character is human and not an unbeatable superhero.
½ February 7, 2016
With the exception of some of the action, the 70s revenge thriller style, the casting of Thomas Jane as The Punisher and John Travolta and Will Patton as the villains, there's not much else to recognize with its odd set ups in scenes and continuity issues.
February 1, 2016
trs bon film bonne histoire de vengence...
si quelqu'un ferais sa ma famille ils aurais le mme sort.
January 25, 2016
This brutal, formulaic vigilante thriller is so unrelenting in its punishment and its violent style that it explores so little of its hardened hero or his quest for vengeance.
½ January 20, 2016
The 2004 reboot of the original film from 1989 Marvel vigilante anti-hero was a good one. I write this review, reminding the audience (if I even have one) that I have not seen the original or the next reboot a few years later called Punisher: War Zone. I don't know about the others, but this one was produced directly under Marvel.

If anyone doesn't like this movie, I feel like a lot of it won't be objective dislikes towards the crime drama superhero action film but rather a dislike for the superhero, his character, his persona or even the actor that plays him. With just the right amount of comic relief, the film ends up being very enjoyable and ez icing with just the right amount of action. I'd recommend this film to anyone.
½ January 12, 2016
Great action flick all the way around. Kept my attention the entire time.
½ January 11, 2016
Thomas Jane as the Punischer had potential, but the story just flaws, and Travolta stomps the plot into the ground.
January 7, 2016
Guilty pleasure movie.
December 28, 2015
In case you hadn't realised it, this movie was never going to win an Oscar so let's not judge it like a nominee.

Let's get this straight; If I was rating this movie based on the story, I'd say it's average. If I was rating this movie based on the cast, I'd say it was good. If I was rating the movie based on the action I say it's great!

If you're looking for a movie to change your life, you'd do well to keep looking, If however, you're looking for a bit of brutal fun,The Punisher may be your answer!