The Goodbye Girl - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Goodbye Girl Reviews

January 15, 2013
still just a made for cable film.
September 1, 2012
ouch, patty heaton proving her acting skills, NONE!!
she is awful
½ July 29, 2012
Nothing different of the original The Goodbye Girl.
April 20, 2012
The one I like is the Neil Simon movie. It's a must see.
April 10, 2012
NOT as good as the Original
January 26, 2012
As with the 1977 original of 'The Goodbye Girl', two mismatched roommates live together as they take their chance in a new relationship. When Paula McFadden's actor boyfriend split today for a movie role, struggling actor Elliot Garfield moves into their Manhattan apartment as its new tenant's name. As Elliot doesn't have the heart to enforce his lease he plays Richard III on an off-off-Broadway play. Directed by Richard Benjamin and starring the great acting performances by Jeff Daniels, Patricia Heaton, and Hallie Kate Eisenberg. I find this 2004 update as good as the original, meaning that it is still romantic, dramatic, and comedic altogether; of course, you can still say hello to Neil Simon's finest love story anyways.
½ June 29, 2011
Jeff Daniels captures the feeling of this play very well. I admire him for his effort, nuance, and energy, although often enough I felt that he was only imitating the original film (a performance that cannot be matched). I would have liked to see something more original, but I'm grateful for what I did get, which was a powerful and admirable homage to the genius of Richard Dreyfuss.

Although Patricia Heaton acted her part well enough for me to feel it, I thought the movie could have been improved if they had chosen an actress who could do her own dancing. She also didn't have as much energy as I hoped. She did elicit sympathy from me, though, which shows a level of commitment and skill admirable in any actor.

Hallie Kate Eisenberg I found frustratingly shallow, which, although typical of child stars, isn't universal. I think her dimples prevent her from acting either sophisticated or sullen, both of which are demanded in the script.
½ October 27, 2010
BAD, even with Alan Cumming
June 8, 2010
Amiable yet pleasant rom-com remake, with the nice casting of Jeff Daniels and Patricia Heaton. The leads display a great chemistry which works in the films favour, though it struggles at times to get passed the made-for-TV tropes.
December 14, 2009
As with the 1977 original of The Goodbye Girl, two mismatched roommates live together as they take their chance in a new relationship. When Paula McFadden's actor boyfriend split today for a movie role, struggling actor Elliot Garfield moves into their Manhattan apartment as its new tenant's name. As Elliot doesn't have the heart to enforce his lease he plays Richard III on an off-off-Broadway play. Directed by Richard Benjamin and starring the great acting performances by Jeff Daniels, Patricia Heaton, and Hallie Kate Eisenberg. I find this 2004 update as good as the original, meaning that it is still romantic, dramatic, and comedic altogether; of course, you can still say hello to Neil Simon's finest love story anyways.
January 17, 2009
hvnt sen the orginal.....so fr me all comparision counts to zilch......the story was nice...jeff daniels was again excellent as edward garfield......he completely owned the movie.....the movie hd a sweet little cute story...liked it a lot......patricia heaton ws also effective....seen her in a movie after evrbody loves raymond.....recommendable movie.....do watch it i u get a hold on to a piece of dvd pirated/orginal dsnt matter
September 21, 2008
Another great entry from Neil Simon. It took me a little while to warm up to the characters, but I completely fell in love with them before the half-way point. I guess I really am a sucker for romance.
September 17, 2008
Remake ok but the orginal is my Favorite movie ever
September 13, 2008
I do not want to see this re-make of an absolute classic!! I could not enjoy it at all because the original is too good!!!!!
July 15, 2008
While I did really like this remake [What can I say? I love Jeff Daniels] I think thay could have done a bit better with it but still cute movie
½ June 22, 2008
Oh dear, quite surprised it was made in 2004, comes across like an alright lacklustre romance drama thing from the 90s
½ June 21, 2008
Quite good. I wouldn't have watched it if there was something better on TV, but I'm glad I did in the end.
½ May 24, 2008
See the original. Patricia Heaton is really bad in this....ewwww! There is no chemistry between her and Jeff Daniels at all.
May 18, 2008
word for word remake of the original.