The Terminal - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Terminal Reviews

June 19, 2016
Viktor Navorski is a visitor to New York from Eastern Europe, but when his homeland erupts in a fiery coup, while he is in the air en route to America, he finds himself stranded at Kennedy Airport, unauthorized to either enter the country or return to his homeland. As the weeks and months move on, life in the terminal becomes his normality, leading to both humourous and heartfelt moments in this harmless little comedy.
June 4, 2016
A bit too sappy and formulaic, but the concept and Hanks brings it home, making it an enjoyable watch.
½ April 4, 2016
Pendant près d'une heure, Le Terminal est une très bonne comédie grinçante où l'on suit un poissard coincé dans un aéroport pendant que son pays subit de terribles luttes politiques. Tom Hanks y est parfait et les seconds rôles sont tous très bien troussés (mention spéciale à Diego Luna & Kumar Pallana). Malheureusement, un grain de sable vient bloquer l'engrenage avec l'arrivée de Catherine Zeta-Jones et donc d'un love interest pour le héros. A partir de ce moment-là, le film tombe dans le sentimentalisme cher à Spielberg et perd beaucoup de son intérêt. C'est vraiment dommage car les décors sont magnifiques et le final très émouvant.
½ March 31, 2016
A cheesy and charming movie thanks to Tom Hanks who plays a convincing foreigner in an American airport. It also represents how adapting to a new language in a new world is part of human survival
March 27, 2016
While the idea may sound boring, the movie has used the idea very smartly and that is shown again and again in the movie.
March 26, 2016
The Terminal has got to be one of the most bizarre ideas for a film that's taken extremely seriously. It's part comedy, part romance, part drama, and very enjoyable. Viktor seems to have run into a problem of bizarre proportions nobody would ever have forseen. Now forced to live in an airport terminal, he goes about trying to make a go of it despite language and cultural barriers. And while you might think these are what's holding him back despite numerous attempts from the airport authorities to help him on his way, it's his giant heart that's truly at work here. While it may not be believable for many reasons, The Terminal is a romcom I can get behind. Recommended for those looking for something a little... different.
½ March 8, 2016
A fun but silly easy-going nonsense-com that has a few giggles and is very sweet but doesn't offer much more. Has a pointless love interest shoehorned in for some reason but otherwise is a great Hanks performance...and of course Spielberg/Williams shine.
February 27, 2016
This movie really surprised me and is one of my favorite movies. It's funny, yet at other times serious, and is truly enjoyable.
½ February 20, 2016
Unbelieveable in many elements, especially in creating an unecessary villain, but the two main characters are believeable, Zeta-Jones' love interest is cleverly written and refreshingly three-dimensional and Hanks' performance melts the heart so much that it's hard not to love The Terminal.
February 12, 2016
Sustained by a strong performance by Tom Hanks as the bumbling, good-hearted Viktor Navorski, Steven Spielberg's post-9/11 commentary on the indifference of many Americans to foreigners is by no means his best film, but is a solid reminder of the splendor of the American dream.
February 1, 2016
Abit of unrealistic but one time worth watching !!
January 25, 2016
Cuanto trama y personajes no ofrece mucho, pero la maravillosa interpretación de Tom Hanks y el estilo encantador de Spielberg hacen que la película salga adelante.
½ January 13, 2016
The Terminal is a nice peaceful movie for you to watch with your grandma, it is nice, sweet and hits home for me.
½ January 6, 2016
A cute feel-good film. I really do mean feel-good. This is no different from one of Tom Hanks's earlier films "You've got mail", in terms of how cheesy, cute, emotional and somewhat unrealistic it plays out. I was willing to go along with some of the unrealistic elements, because it is a movie after all, and it is a movie's job to create a world with its owns set of rules. 'Rules were made to be broken", I paraphrase a line from a chief official in the movie, but some of the more important rules of this film have been broken that don't movie it up to the ranks of the great movies in my opinion. Speilberg's films tend to have quite a bit of schmaltzy sentimentality, and this film is no exception. It was also interesting to see how Speilberg, who has made a big war film prior (I'll leave it you guys to decide which one I'm referring to), to actually keep a war in the background in this film, and actually follow an unassuming victim of a war as he struggles to keep his identity.

Again, I don't think its a bad film, but Its purely solid spectacle entertainment at its core, with some very thoughtful questions and ideas. It is, however, afraid, as most Hollywood pictures are, to make more sense. To have its audience ask more important questions, to think more outside the box and to have some bigger connection to reality. And yes, I am aware that many movies I've seen don't have realistic worlds, but then again, its all about the context of that world. I don't watch "Animaniacs" and expect the world to be very realistic (and I would actually pick any episode of "Animaniacs" over this film any time of the day); incidentally Spielberg produced "Animaniacs" via Amblin Entertainment.

All in all, it is a thoughtful, heart warming film, but a flawed one nonetheless.
January 4, 2016
I have to say that I love steven spielberg (it is my favorite movie director by far) and this is why I love him, even with a silly premise, can do a perfect and very sweet movie, always you can feel him (spielberg) is behind it, in every scene, in every camera move, he always find a way to make the movie by his own.
Ton Hanks, wonderful, I think this is one of his best performances as a foreign who wants to get into new york and can´t speak english, the supporting cast it´s outstanding, everyone of them who surround Victor has that magic, very sweetnes who every comedy movie needs.
the score it´s simply amazing, it still in my head yet jeje, beautiful.
maybe it hasn´t the best screenplay of all time, but it still a worth and very funny and smart script.
I absolutely spent a very good time, laughing, very funny.
at the end...that´s why we love the movies: we want to be transported to another world or get out from the world from 2 hours, this movie did it with me, it might do it with you.
absolutely a worth see.
January 1, 2016
Tom Hanks plays a character from a fictional former Soviet state stuck between countries and thus has to spend his days in the airport. While a comedy-drama with elements of romance, the film displays a message of the dangers of finding oneself as a stateless person in our world.

The comedy in this from Tom Hanks is more physical and it just about passes the 'six-laugh test' for a successful comedy. However, I suspect Spielberg imagined the audience to smile wryly rather than out loud at his actions and predicament. It certainly attempts to tug at the heartstrings and Spielberg has done this well. However, at 128 minutes it is way too long; there is a brilliant 90 minute drama-comedy in there somewhere. The romantic element with Catherine Zeta-Jones' flight attendant character was also quite unbelievable.

The characters are inconsistent in their interests as the film progresses, particularly Stanley Tucci's character who appeared to change his mind as to what he actually wanted. There were also a number of endings to the film- I counted three- but the one which they settled on was probably also the weakest. However, you can rarely go wrong with Tom Hanks and this is a decent feel-good film either way.
November 1, 2015
A sickly sweet romcom from Spielberg and Hanks.
October 31, 2015
Perfecto como siempre Tom Hanks
October 28, 2015
Very intresting how you could have such a boring place for a movie & yet have a Great movie, loved John Williams Score for this film. The Credits were cool.
October 17, 2015