Slasher - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Slasher Reviews

October 25, 2014
It's good to see a John Landis helmed project that is as funny as his earlier films. Slasher delivers the documentary goods in finding an entertaining character and capturing characters on the lot.
February 13, 2012
Riveting documentary that keeps you amused for the full 85 minutes. The subject matter might seem boring but this movie is all about the people.
July 4, 2011
Good movie about the Traveling Car Liquidation Business, Mike Bennett is the subject of the movie/Documentary. Old school guy, worked with him years ago in Missouri at a Ford Store...Man loves to drink, as shown on the movie..lol
May 12, 2011
A recommendation from my boy Greg. Great movie. Funny and sad doc: my favorite kind of doc. Surprised I ain't heard of this before. John Landis, promote your shit. Btw the DVD is non-anamorphic, so be aware of that.
February 13, 2011
This was a great documentary that I saw a few years ago on cable. Check it out if you can.
December 11, 2010
John Landis is a great director and this is a great doccumentary! The editing of this film is a tour-de-force in how to make a great film!
March 19, 2010
Definitely one of those "I can't believe someone actually does this for a living" moments. But Michael Bennett, whether he likes it or not, seems born to hustle used cars. A bit depressing to see the strapped inhabitants of one of America's decaying cities either completely unable to buy cars, or worse, signing up for financing they most likely won't be able to afford. But hey, the soundtrack is pretty awesome!
½ March 13, 2010
This is not a particularly well made documentary. But Bennett is so interesting that he kind of makes up for it. It's neat how Landis tries to put this in context, as if the great American pastime was actually selling lies to people. But he only does this in the opening, so that's too bad. I find Bennett compelling enough to find the movie compelling enough to overlook the major flaws. And it was entertaining to boot, so whatever.
November 13, 2009
THEY GOT AN 88-DOLLAR CAR!
October 19, 2009
1 of the best documentaries Ive ever seen.I was hooked from the start
September 28, 2009
Overall quite a mediocre documentary, shows passionate'd people but nothing more really.
LittleMissBloodAndGuts
August 5, 2009
A gritty look at the psychopathic, workaholic, hype and hustle sales mentality. Take note: this guy sells cars, but your stockbroker is a creature of the same outlook and method
½ April 20, 2009
An interesting insight into an interesting job. John Landis focuses on Michael Bennett in this documentary about a freelance car salesman who specializes in massive sales events all over the country. Nothing exciting happens, but you still come away with a fascinating portrait of a unique individual.

04.20.09
49th Film of 2009
May 23, 2008
In his first feature on digital film, John Landis tackles something he hasn't before: a documentary.

Landis follows a "mercenary car salesman" and his partners on a trip to Memphis, Tennessee to shift as many cars at a local dealership. Their business is traveling the country as "top salesmen" - selling large quantities of cars at dealerships that, for various reasons, desperately need to get cars off their lot and a temporary sales boost.

The main subject, Michael, is one of the most interesting documentary subjects I've seen and his personality not only carries the movie, but also creates plot where there is simply life being lived. His two friends, try to keep him out of trouble, being a hyperactive alcoholic with a loud mouth that he runs as fast as top sports car, as well as having several other unique traits that I can't peg as I'm not a psychologist.

Besides his "lead", Landis is able to capture a portrait of lower class and middle class America in poorer cities. There are some tear-tugging moments, both out of laughter and sympathy.

Landis said he had trouble working with a doc crew because he is used to setting up shots as opposed to just shooting (and disregarding things like other camera operators or crew members in a shot). However, Landis does get some of his desired set-up shots, and they look just as great as his studio work, but is more powerful in my opinion because of the catching content and the serendipitous execution of documentary.
April 27, 2008
March 7, 2008
Awesome documentary about a guy you'll love to hate. Or hate to love. Whatever. Just watch it. I can't believe that isn't John Waters...
December 18, 2007
John Landis is a master of the narrative comedy, but here he tackles a very dramatic documentary. Yet he stills manages to use comedy very well. Cinema is lucky to have Landis.
½ October 4, 2007
Really fun documentary with a hell of a soundtrack. The main documentary subject is like a middle aged Steve-O crossed with a redneck John Waters. If that isn't enough to sell you on the movie, I don't know what is.

John Landis' best since Coming To America (Though that's not saying much come to think of it)
½ September 16, 2007
Not the greatest documentary ever, but definitely entertaining. Imagine if Dean Moriarty sold used cars and someone made a doc about him.