Born Rich - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Born Rich Reviews

June 23, 2013
I came into this documentary, deciding that I would watch without any preconceptions about what I might see or learn.

I was surprised that the various people who are profiled, had some depth, and were not the superficial, vacuous people I was expecting.
½ January 26, 2013
Loved it. Very insightful and really appreciated Jamie's candor and the candor and authenticity of the rest of the cast. Thanks for sharing your experiences.
June 4, 2012
Don't we see that continually in the tabloids already?!?
February 28, 2012
The documentary is handled adequately, but it's the access and the candor Johnson is able to provide that makes Born Rich a little interesting.
½ January 21, 2011
This is an incredibly interesting documentary that at surface level will challenge or affirm stereotypes of rich kids (most likely both). However, I didn't find it brilliant for kids behaving in expected patterns, but because of how well it illustrated the systemic embeddedness of wealth once acquired. Thinking more broadly the viewer can find ways to relate to many of the things these brats are going through on our own smaller less decadent scale. If I ever wanted to show a movie that illustrated white privilege this might be the first place I'd go.

Mr. Johnson might have thought to hire someone else to do the narration. His voice is exceedingly dull. The characters are great at grabbing your attention and holding it even if its because you're realizing what clueless snobs they can be. The movie shows its amateur nature but the lack of production quality is more than made up for in the interesting content.
½ January 3, 2011
Yawn. Jamie Johnson could have really done something with this topic. Instead, he plays it safe; not wanting to annoy any friends/families he knows by delving into the real world of the super rich. He keeps trying to show us how alike we are to the very wealthy. "Look," he seems to be saying, "we have feelings, we get beat up on playgrounds and our parents don't like us, either." It would have been so much better had he truthfully illustrated how very different the super rich's lives are. The gaps between us. That would have been 10000x more enlightening. Save the 'we're all the same' schtick for people who believe it. We all know better.
½ August 23, 2010
Ugh. Could rich children, who have earned none of their fortune which has led them to believe they are entitled to it (thanks daddy!), be such truly dreadful people as evidenced by these interviews? The answer is an unequivocal YES. I have to hand it to Mr. Johnson, though, for his unprecedented access to these kids, who are really adults, but still act like the spoiled children they really are. Worth watching? Maybe, if you have the time.
July 11, 2010
Fascinatingly ridiculous.
April 26, 2010
Really insightful. We have recently become more facinated with young hollywood and the likes of Paris Hilton types. I think everyone has wondered what it would be like to be born rich. More money more problems... Children of wealth strugle with living up to expectations and fighting the prejuduce of peers growing up. Surpisingly most don't just enjoy the free money but try to do something meaningful. One man even realizes that hard work makes him happy. It may be easy to hate these people but maybe we shouldn't.
½ April 17, 2010
Pretty weak...seems like the poor little rich boy was too scared of his poor little rich friends who actually had the resources to sue him when they decided they didn't like the film he was making.
January 7, 2010
As a piece of cinema, it's rough around the edges. But director Jamie Johnson (of the Johnson and Johnson fortune) had unparalleled access to wealthy heir(ess) peers and got them to speak truthfully about money on camera. As a documentary about the class system in North America, this is as good as it gets. Fascinating.
½ November 15, 2009
Saw this for American Sociology class, to compliment the topic we're currently covering (poverty). The heir to the Johnson & Johnson fortune decides to make a film about his peers: privileged rich kids and their insightful views on various topics. It's also a pretty fascinating look into an "elite" demographic we will never be a part of, and kind of sad and infuriating witnessing just how disconnected from society these people are. If you have the patience and the temperament to withstand watching incredibly vapid people saying the darndest things, you should probably see it.
½ November 5, 2009
Wait... so you're telling me that the richest kids in the world are insufferable snobs?! I refuse to believe it!
April 13, 2009
hmmm... very illuminating documentary
½ October 15, 2008
A rich kid makes a movie about his spoiled rich friends.
½ September 14, 2008
Good film, yet middling (as documentaries go). Heartfelt, honest, and stylishly told, yet somewhat repetitious and lacking insight.
June 19, 2008
this is as important amovie as i have ever seen. johnson deserves credit for aiming his lense indiscriminately and for being so open and honest about his condition, (which is extreme wealth.) the glimpse into the lives of him and especially his peers is astonishing.
April 20, 2008
the worst documentary I've ever seen
April 13, 2008
Could have been more polished but not bad for a first time movie maker. Subject matter is very interesting wish director could have explored each subjects daily lifestyle.
March 24, 2008
interesting doc. jamie johnson has a horrid speaking voice, and should've hired someone else to narrate. this gives a nice light into the world of the insanely rich. some of the kids are seemingly completely normal, yet most (juliet hartford, cody franchetti, carlo von something, luke weil) are utter douchebags.