Yesterday - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Yesterday Reviews

October 23, 2011
An incomprehensible, boring and empty-headed mess. A film that hides in the shadows in shame on horrible it is. Action scenes that are impossible to follow and it doesn't even use quick cuts and shaky cam! A plot that takes shortcuts in ways that makes people not care. Sorry Korea, leave action movies to China and Japan.
September 14, 2010
A weird and complicated but interesting plot, but it's really, really boring.
September 14, 2010
A weird and complicated but interesting plot, but it's really, really boring.
½ January 7, 2010
Some editing could have helped the slow pacing on this middle of the road semi-cyberpunk movie out of Korea. Lost's Yunjin Kim stars, but can't really do much to make things interesting. There are some twists, but they take far longer for the script to explain than for the viewer to figure out, and when all is said and done, they aren't especially 'twisty.' Lots of action. Mostly in the form of S.W.A.T. type teams in large scale shootouts. But again, after the first few seconds, these become a bit dull. Overall, it's not a bad film. It's just not that good.
½ August 17, 2009
Not bad of its sort compared to the stuff coming out these days. Futuristic without the Blade Runner visuals, combining a kidnapping, the motives behind serial killers, a series of murders targeting scientists, a secret government program, and a Special Investigations squad headed by Yun Seok. The highlight is a shootout in a ghetto area, where the SI and SWAT teams are under siege.
June 2, 2009
This is a Crime Thriller/Sci-Fi/Cyber Punk...enigma.
It wasnt until well after the halfway point, that I had any clue of a plot.
Honestly, it seemed like they had something good going on. Or at least tried.
But...I dont know.

I enjoyed Yun-jin Kim far more in Shiri, but i do understand her character.

I think this movies saving grace for me, was the action sequences, and spots of great cinematography.
The "swat/raid" choreography was well done.

In terms of a 3 star rating. i was rather objective.
I was forced to watch this Dubbed.
As it was the only way Netflix offered it streaming to the XBOX.

I am willing to give this movie a second chance in its Native Korean language.
April 28, 2009
Really weak. There are some interesting ideas, but not enough push for anything that'd get you to care about them. Some things were unexplained in the end.
½ January 12, 2009
Hahaha. That movie's a joke, right? No? Well, then, you suck! Grow half a brain and it won't be too hard to see why. You know there's a rule of storytelling that unless you're doing 'David Lynch kind of stuff', the scenes are supposed to be edited in a way that makes sense. And no, shaking your camera doesn't make your action/shootout sequences any more interesting, especially when your cast is made of cute faces that can't act.
December 28, 2008
This movie is pretty stupid and filled with many plot holes and parts that frankly made no sense. I guess CSI tv world this movie is just not believable in any way.
September 11, 2008
I've had this dvd for a while, need to watch it sometime
September 3, 2008
Weird, way too long.
½ June 30, 2008
Interesting film, but is a bit lengthy.
May 22, 2008
Slick production, but poor plot and narrative. Action sequences predominate and, as such, they stunt any real attempt at character development.
May 1, 2008
There are rarely any good science-fiction movies in South Korea, and it still doesn?t have any still. Yesterday on the other hand has little much about science fiction at all but more of a cop drama? with a complicated plot.

The year is 2020. 30 years ago, an incident occur where children were kidnap and done experiment on them. Something went wrong and now, a serial killer is on the loose and killing a group of scientist that is related to a project a long time ago. When a special forces takes on the case, it leads to a cat and mouse game that will lead to a climatic finale.

While watching the movie, half way through it became complicated as the story was told in forms of clues that doesn?t make much sense. As it involves the main villain with the main hero and the damsel of distress, how these 3 connected is a mystery that still yet explain well. Thoroughly, it is an interesting film but without the science fiction as a backdrop, the movie will make it good without any problems.

An okay movie with a complicated plot that may give you a bit of confusion.
April 4, 2008
I want to see this... Especially since Yunjin Kim is in it...
April 3, 2008
From what I hear, this is Yunjin Kim's finest work. Unlike Sun Kwon, Kim plays a bounty hunter. Word has it, this is a Blade Runner ripoff. All the more reason to see it.
February 27, 2008
Nice to see a sci-fi thriller for once, rather than yet another horror, and there are some nice ideas in this. Unfortunately they're rather marred by poor storytelling and weak plotting.
February 24, 2008
I'm a big fan of Asian cinema because filming philosophy is so different than American Hollywood, or even a lot of indie films. Decent action movie and plot.
February 18, 2008
I didn't understand one bit of it. And why was it called Yesterday? Not one minute of this movie made sense to me.
½ January 27, 2008
It's a decent scifi flick but killing all the interesting characters just made me angry by the end of the movie. I still don't understand the whole story behind the two main characters at the end.