Reviews

• Aug 04, 2012

quite difficult to understand without the knowledge of Japanese folklore.

quite difficult to understand without the knowledge of Japanese folklore.

• Apr 05, 2012

Kuriyama is great, but it's a pretty slow ghost story.

Kuriyama is great, but it's a pretty slow ghost story.

• Mar 09, 2012

I liked the setting and the quiet build up in the first half. There are a few scenes of the town viewed from above which were nice, and i was getting interested in the filmimg rather than the story. I wasn't really bothered if there wasn't much horror, things seemed to be slowly progressing....then the second half (horror bits) were quite dull. The girl never appears like on the dvd cover.....( i remember her from 'Battle Royale'), and the film lost it's charm. I would have been happy enough watching if this had continued as a drama about a lost friend....but i was disappointed by the end. It seems like it could have been a decent drama with a few things changed.

• May 15, 2010

I went into this expecting a horror movie...got a love tragedy. Although the general feel and atmosphere are still well done...it gives you an unsettling feeling, especially the first time you watch it (at least for me).

• Apr 06, 2010

This is just a lifeless ghost tale about a drowned girl whose mother attempts to bring her back to life, which naturally leaves her as a murderous revenant rather than the sweet school-girl that she'd loved. Possibly worth a look for fans of Chiaki Kuriyama (Gogo Yubari of Kill Bill fame), but she honestly doesn't have a ton of screen time, so you might just pass. For completists only.

• Jan 27, 2010

Nothing special. The non-horror elements were more enjoyable than the horror side

• Dec 20, 2009

Slow paced supernatural/folklore drama of a grieving mother intent on resurrecting her daughter from the dead. I found this movie to be pretty creepy and full of suspense.

• Oct 14, 2009

This has all what you would expect from a Japanese ghost themed horror. It's almost a montage of themes from other films. You have the girl crawling out of the water (Ring), the strange damp stain emerging on the ceiling (Dark Water), creepy ghosts suddenly appearing (Ju-on: The Grudge) and a crazy old woman (Onibaba). But that doesn't mean that Shikoku isn't original. It may have familiar parts but it's an all new ghost story. It's plot actually more complex than some J horror I've seen. It takes place on the island of Shikoku (surprise) and an old woman is doing the traditional Shikoku 88-temple pilgrimage backwards which in this film is a dark ritual which she intends to use to raise a girl from the dead. Then we have a young woman and a young man who get tied into all of it and try to stop her. It's a rather slow paced at times and a lot more low budget than the more famous J horrors. A famous Japanese actress who you will no doubt recognize is in it as well which I found amusing since she appears it took me by surprise. There was also a romantic sex scene in it which surprised me as I have never seen one of those in a Japanese horror, that's more something I identify with western action or romance films.

• May 25, 2009

Ooooo, very creepy and kind of sad movie. Definately worth seeing...

Ooooo, very creepy and kind of sad movie. Definately worth seeing...

• Jan 10, 2009

Things never really seem to get in gear with this one. The opening few scenes are unnecessarily fragmented and only really only get cleared up much later in the film. While we're then given some nicely ominous moments it all builds to a rather lacklustre finale; our antagonist is brought back from the dead (sadly not as a brain-lusting Zombie), hugs a couple of people to death, then dies again. While there's some lovely cinematography at work it really doesn't develop any kind of tension, menace or awe and ultimately it's all rather uneventful.