Dead Leaves - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dead Leaves Reviews

½ April 30, 2016
With very little of an actual plot and yet a series of countless things and events that seem to happen so quickly one after another in such a short running time, this insanely frenetic anime full of shapes and colors proves to be a lot of fun to be at least worth the curiosity.
July 16, 2015
This movie is utterly bonkers, hideous, juvenile, and dumb.....I like it.
½ November 15, 2014
Absurd, surreal-there aren't modifiers fit to convey how removed from reality it is-Dead Leaves is a film in which sex is cheap and death is cheaper. Its slim plot makes repeat viewings a remote possibility, but its warped designs and kinetic animation demand to be experienced once. In other words, Dead Leaves is the definition of style over substance. But, hey, when the style is this unique, why argue? This is the oddest, most frenetic film I've ever seen, and it deserves attention for its originality if nothing else. (Indeed, depending on the viewer, "nothing else" is a viable opinion.) Rent it.
July 21, 2013
Short but ultimately sweet and surreal in ways few film are these days. Dead leaves while not perfect is a satisfying blend of action and art film that has volumes of energy and style. From the pulsing electronic soundtrack to the insane visual experience its easy to get engrossed even though the story might seem lacking. Any fan of the more avant garde side of visual media should check this one out.
September 17, 2012
A fast paced ride not suitable for most. Innuendos galore, leaving a trail of bullets and blood.
September 3, 2012
This movie is a pure mindfuck. Go watch it!
½ September 3, 2012
Possibly one of the most simplistic plots I've ever come across. This really is a "leave your brain at the door" kind of movie, in a bad way. The animation is very good but at the same time it's style is harsh and headache inducing. Apart from that it totally lacks anything worthy of positive comment. There's LOTS OF OVERWROUGHT SHOUTING!!!!!, gunfire galore and relentless rollercoaster action, but nothing else. No depth, no soul, no real characterisation, a weak script and a soundtrack that's as obvious as you might expect, all bound together with a "pummel the audience into submission" philosophy. This isn't really anime, not in the way we know and love anime, this is appalling, literally mindless shite.

I remember it causing a bit of a stir upon release, but the only reason I can fathom why is that a lot of people are too easily caught up in hype and lack the faculty of critical analysis. The score I'm giving it is for the technical quality of animation alone, cos frankly, that's the only thing that stops me giving it zero. Watch it whilst close to OD'ing on amphetamines, or don't watch it at all, ever. Stupid, stupid film.
July 29, 2012
Over the top action. no story needed, just plain adrenaline, leave your senses at the door and enjoy the ride. Kinda like watching Crank.
July 29, 2012
Thin on plot, high on octane, 'splosions and insanity, this looks to have been conceived and animated under the influence of some very funky drugs. It is a glorious mess and celebrates it.
½ July 5, 2012
What The Fuck Did I Just See I Have Absolutely No Complaints With This Anime Movie Because The People Who Made It Are Completely Out Of Their Goddamn Minds.
June 22, 2012
A crazy, wild ride that needs an open mind and just go with the flow. If you're not familiar with any anime you probably won't like this but I found it enjoyable. Strange humor and weird out comes run amok while the anime has an mixture of the new look thrown together with the classic heavy metal style motion.
June 10, 2012
Taking over the top to new extremes this anime is one hell of a rude crude action packed ride.

Strap your self in because you haven't seen anything like this.
June 1, 2012
Dead Leaves is odd insane and fun ass hell.Must see for anime fans.
January 31, 2012
A movie so utterly insane and off its gourd that it doesn't suffer from insanity, insanity suffers from it. But I'm the kind of guy that likes that, combined with the overuse of giant explosions Hiroyuki Imaishi loves so much. However, I would like to point out that if you're the kind of guy that does not like the excuse plot and doesn't just watch for the fun of explody and utter insanity, then you will not like this film. Just a warning.
January 21, 2012
If you're not in the right "state of mind," you're going to hate it. But if you are, hoooooly god. It's one hte most amazing animations spectaculars you'll ever see.
½ January 5, 2012
Absolute mayhem and insanity, a complete joyride.
½ December 5, 2011
This is the most fucking insane anime I have ever seen. Once it starts it just doesn't stop!
½ November 5, 2011
Trippy animation from start to finish
September 25, 2011
Fuck, c'est hyper intense comme action. Ca a pas de but au final autre que d'être une mise en scène de 52 minutes d'action pratiquement en continue mais je peut dire sur le coup que j'appr (C)cie.
366weirdmovies
½ July 13, 2011
Anime about a man with a television for a head and a woman with mismatched eyes who wake up with amnesia, are imprisoned on the moon, have a baby and kill lots of things. It's hyperactively paced with animation styles that change every few seconds, and it has almost no comprehensible plot; watching it is like putting an ultraviolet manga into a blender and trying to read it as the pieces swirl around. The artwork is great but the whole experience is kind of tiring.