Kal Ho Naa Ho Reviews

• May 02, 2020

One of the best film from Karan Johar's production with excellent performance from Shahrukh Khan @ Saif Ali Khan

• Apr 10, 2020

Although like an ideal crowd-pleaser, "Kal Ho Naa Ho" strives and mostly achieves the perfect laughs, some genunely moving and heartbreaking moments, and the beautiful performances by Preity Zinta, Saif Ali Khan and especially the excellently vulnerable Shahrukh Khan, it's also a film that comes with a sluggish, uneven screenplay and some bland, forgettable directorial craft by Nikhil Advani, making it a less-than-overwhelming romantic comedy, where emotionally stirring bits are way more moving and way less frustrating than it's underwhelming comical portions which, although cheery as I said, are imbecile. I came out of the screen tired.

• Aug 05, 2019

This movie is so touching and the end was so emotional, this is one of the best bollywood movies I have ever watched

• Jan 21, 2019

One of SRK's best performances. Even the most stoic or emotionless people would cry for the movie is so good and the acting is even better.

• Nov 16, 2018

Kal Ho Naa Ho is a mostly upbeat film about an angry woman, Naina, who is trying to manage family issues as well as personal. Naina takes night classes for her MBA and that is where she meets her best friend Rohit. Rohit sort of thinks he is a ladies man but he is definitely not the ladies man that he thinks he is. Naina's family has been having a hard time ever since her father died and her mother and grandmother do not get along very well and their family restaurant is struggling. Her family prays for an angel and that is when Aman shows up and changes all of their lives. Naina is played by the always lovable Preity ZInta and Shah Rukh Khan is just as charming as ever in his role of Aman. This film takes you on a roller coaster of emotional ups and downs. It will make you laugh and it will make you cry but it leaves you with a sense of warmth in the end. This film has some more realistic sets than Shah Rukh Khan's other movie Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham. While that movie was all about amplifying all the aspects of Bollywood, this film definitely stays a little more on the realistic side, at least as much as a Bollywood movie can. The huge elaborate sets and parties and dance numbers from Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham are replaced with song sequences and dance numbers in the street and while fixing the family restaurant. While Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham is more over the top in everything, Kal Ho Naa Ho is less over the top but more ridiculous in some of the comedy aspects. They break the 4th wall often and there are many witty and laughable moments throughout while still creating a heartfelt story. However, as with most Bollywood movies, there is an elaborate wedding scene. As Rachel Dwyer discusses in her article "Yeh Shaadi Nahin Ho Sakti! ("This Wedding Cannot Happen!"): Romance and Marriage in Contemporary Hindi Cinema", "[t]he wedding is a major spectacle". She also discusses how weddings in film show the ideal wedding and the wedding scenes are full of expensive clothes, lots of decor, and of course song and dance. Although Kal Ho Naa Ho overall is not as elaborate as some other movies such as Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham, the wedding scene is no less elaborate than any other wedding scene as it is truly spectacular. Overall, Kal Ho Naa Ho is a very lovely movie to watch full of emotion, love, beauty, family, and of course lots of catchy songs and fun dancing. Citations (Un)tying the Knot: Ideal and Reality in Asian Marriage. Eds, Gavin W. Jones and Kamalini Ramdas. Singapore: Asia Research Institute, 2004.

• Nov 16, 2018

Kal Ho Na Ho tells the story of a dramatic love triangle shadowed by death, family conflicts, and friendship. The film stars Preity Zinta, Saif Ali Khan, Shahrukh Khan, and Jaya Bachchan. Preity Zinta plays Naina, a pessimistic MBA student from an Indian family living in Queens New York with her widowed mother, biological brother, adopted sister, and cynical grandmother. Her life is constantly shadowed by her family's financial problems, her father's suicide, and her grandmother's spitefulness towards her sister Gia. All this changes when Aman (played by Shahrukh Khan) moves next door. He quickly captivates Naina's family and she slowly falls for him. Although he rejects Naina's love, he pledges to help her best friend Rohit win her affection. While the film touches on many grave topics, it is ultimately fun and light hearted. The song sequences are modern and catchy and include inspiration from genres such as rock and disco. They show how Aman is able to bring a fun and optimistic atmosphere to the other characters of the film. The sets of the film are colorful and vibrant in their depiction of Queens and Manhattan. The costumes complement each set perfectly and depict a range of attire from casual athletic clothes to bright red dresses and expensive suits. The film embraces the best of Bollywood in a modern setting. This is similar to Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham another film written by Karan Johar. Sangita Gopal writes in her novel Bollywood and Globalization that Karan Johar films rely on elaborate musical numbers, melodrama, and big starcast. This is certainly true of both films. Kal Ho Na Ho particularly relies on melodrama to move the audience and keep them on the edge of their seats, trying to figure out who Naina will end up with. Its unique love triangle shows how passionate love can be both romantic and friendly and how quickly it can change from one to the other. I found Kal Ho Na Ho to be a fantastic film which kept me on the edge of my seat. It made me laugh, cry, smile, and frown. I would highly recommend it to both returning and new Bollywood fans. Citations Mehta, R., & Pandharipande, R. (Eds.). (2010). Bollywood and Globalization: Indian Popular Cinema, Nation, and Diaspora. Anthem Press. doi:10.7135/UPO9781843318897

• Sep 23, 2018

Brilliant story line about sacrifice, very touching, perfect cast of actors, can watch it over and over again and never get bored of it. It is a MUST if you've haven't watched it. Love it to bits

• May 09, 2018

Sooooo Good!!!!!!!!!!!

Sooooo Good!!!!!!!!!!!

• Apr 17, 2018

While "Kal Ho Naa Ho" gets a bit overdramatic at times and is a bit too long, it is still a very effective movie. I enjoyed watching this movies, mostly because I found the main characters to feel real and likable. I thought all of the actors involved did a very good job potraying them. The movie somehow manages to make you think its going a predictable route with its first half but then defies multiple genre conventions in the second. The movie is unquestionably meant to leave a profound emotional impact on you, but I think people forget to mention how effective the comedic moments in the movie are. For a good portion of the movie I was either laughing or at least smiling. The main issue is that the movie might have just a few too many subplots that drag its runtime to north of three hours, but I still found myself entertained consistently. Overall, it's a movie that works on multiple levels and one that Bollywood fans should definitely check out.

• Jun 08, 2017

One of the best Hindi movie that i ever watched. Love to watch it for many times.