The 24th Day - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The 24th Day Reviews

½ February 18, 2016
Tom (Scott Speedman) is a married man and expected father, who has just found out that he is HIV positive. He's not a promiscuous guy, and traces it back to a one night stand, he had years back with a man. Tom's not gay, but like many, he was curious and thanks to too much alcohol, let it go too far. Seething with anger and thinking about revenge, Tom starts scouting local gay bars until he finds Dan (James Marsden). As soon as he sees him, Tom starts flirting and convinces Dan to go home with him, where Tom ties him to a chair and tells him they've met before. After obtaining a blood sample, Tom lets Dan know that when that test comes back, if Dan is positive also, he's going to die. The film is based on an award winning play and I venture to say as a play, this would have been terrific. On the big screen however, the same raw emotion isn't as evident and the story doesn't have much in the way of variety. The 24th Day is very narrowly focused, and after it's initial abduction and reveal, it becomes quite boring, as both the men and the audience prepare for the ending. In transferring this story to film, I feel as though something more should have been added to story. Maybe some flashbacks or an unintended visitor, just something to break up the monotony. Both Scott Speedman and James Marsden are very good in their respect roles and I really enjoyed both the beginning and end of this film, unfortunately the middle is somewhat boring and takes away from an otherwise original and outstanding story.
June 30, 2015
The acting is good and the story is good. Not a bad film but definitely could've been much better.
½ November 20, 2013
i wouldn't call this "horror" but rather a well crafted drama
½ October 20, 2013
Good movie......if only its score wasn't so "soap opera-y."
June 20, 2013
slow and dull until you get to the twist that makes it a little bit better.
½ November 10, 2012
I wish I could have seen the play.
July 23, 2012
Basically it's Piccirillo's play recorded on film, but I like the grit and intensity of the play.
May 25, 2012
sure, it has its saying and all, but as a movie - it's not that good...
½ May 4, 2012
The guys are cute but the story was weak.
April 25, 2012
Wow. This was a very dynamic role for James Marsden and he was absolutely fabulous. Scott Speedman isn't bad as a serious actor. The cinematography and editing were interesting, but the script was really good.
½ February 11, 2012
Have you ever wonder this issue before watching this movie?. In my opinion this is a great movie, because made put my self in their shoes and imagine how a nightmare your life can be after reading a piece of paper . You could think about how would you react if you were gay, but you can be far away from the way you´d think you would take it?.
So, next time you you see the first a girl with a reproduction face youll think it twice mot++rf++k++. don´t you? haha!!
½ November 16, 2011
Has its flaws as a film, but Marsden and Speedman handle the intense ebbs and flows deftly. Somebody produce this play, please, do I can be in it and rock it out.
November 14, 2011
Interesting, but could have been much better. Problem #1: not only is there a serious lack of sex, but also a lack of nudity. Harumph. Problem #2: Horrible, horrible editing. Jarring jump-cuts annoyed the hell out of me. Still, interesting premise and some good acting.
½ October 5, 2011
Perda de tempo (só uns olhares e o James compensaram).
½ September 22, 2011
Quality acting and interesting script save low budget movie
May 15, 2011
Good thriller, lots of twists 'n turns - you try to guess what will happen next but its not so predictable.. Good movie - worth a gander, Dan's a hottie :)
April 23, 2011
It's been 3 weeks since Tom (Scott Speedman) learns he's contracted HIV. So what does he do? On the 24th day, he takes revenge on the man (James Marsden) he suspects transmitted it to him. There's more...his dead wife, Marsden's lies, kidnapping, and physical damages to both men. Not an easy movie to sit through and I suspect it's the type of movie, you either like it or hate it.

Marsden does his best acting on screen as he shows a range of emotions: aggression, disdain, affection, mendacity, flirtation. It's basically a two-person play and Marsden has the more difficult role. I also like the dialogue which reflects on relationships, sex, sports and philosophy. It's the type of movie that hinges on how this unusual melodrama ends. The ending didn't disappoint and made me reflect on the characters.
March 16, 2011
This was a surprise for me. It was a really great thriller. I hung onto every word that either character said, and both performances were believable and exciting to watch. It shows that you don't need guns, explosions and car chases for a great thriller movie.
March 9, 2011
This movie is strange but has good acting from Scott Speedman and James Marsden. It's a pretty gruesome storyline, I must say!
½ January 9, 2011
The captivating premise and dynamic between two surprisingly great performances does not outweigh the blaring issues the rest of the crew had them work with. When butting heads, the philosophical musings in the dialogue are half-baked at best. The suspenseful claustrophobia was a high point ruined by Piccirillo's baffling use of high contrast/off-color/low shutter-speed flashback sequences; which served little to no storytelling purpose.