The Hillside Strangler - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Hillside Strangler Reviews

April 12, 2016
Americans seem to have a fascination with true crime stories. All you have to do is watch TLC or Discovery Investigative for more than an hour to find that out. These stories are often over sexualized and overly graphic retellings of real crimes and killers. This movie is no exception.
While true crime and murder stories do and can work, this one feels like they just through their hands up in the air and said, "Fuck it, if you want sleaze we've got sleaze!"

The basic premise of a young obviously mentally unstable person being manipulated and controlled by a much more dominate and sadistic person is a good one. Seeing a person with violent tendencies slowly morph into a full on psycho has potential, yet they rarely take advantage of it. Now there are bits in here that do have a charm in the way other brutal crime movies also have, but they are few and far between.

It just goes to show that family can be the most influential aspect of life. Wither or nor that's a good thing depends on the family.
½ March 28, 2015
I thought this movie was done right! It is especially good if you know the true story. The acting was way above average and contains strong violent moments that are sometimes hard to watch. Check out the creepy song during the end credits by Earthlings!
½ June 9, 2013
½ March 23, 2013
It's hard to really like a film about women being raped and murdered, so lets just say it's a decent film depicting atrocious events. This film is gritty and depraved throughout, but historically interesting.
February 10, 2013
An interesting movie which is based on the true killings by a duo of serial killers. Well put together film and nothing seemed wrong with the production for this film!
January 21, 2013
Awful and offensive explitation flick which revels in being nasty and rooting for the two killers while the victims are shown to be asking for it,which is totally wrong on every level.

C Thomas Howell and Nicholas Tuturro do try with their roles but the whole thing is soo unpleasant thats you reallly which the filmakers hadnt bothered making the film.
It feels sleazy and has nothing to say about the plight of the victims and their families it just seems to say wow look at how reppellent these guys are.

A film with no redeeming features which belongs in a dustbin.
½ January 9, 2013
July 27, 2012
a very shocking movie based on the hillside strangler murders, its a great movie, but it has alot of disturbing moments, things you should never do to a female
June 20, 2012
Mean-spirited low budget bio pic about Ken Bianchi and Angelo Buono two losers who killed women in the late 70's

This is a terrible movie..I can only assume the filmmakers were going for a Grindhouse homage which would be okay,but it even fails at that.
April 4, 2012
Another low budget serial killer movie. But with bad acting from everyone.
However, it does keep you interested until the end.
January 23, 2012
OMG its PONYBOY! WTF.
The movie jumps around a bit and isn't very clear at times but the story line continues to grow throughout it. Seems quite realistic but sketchy at times. Indeed graphic and appalling at times but in good judge of character for most of it.
½ September 20, 2011
Not for the faint of heart as this doesn't cover any part of the investigation into the murderous duo, it's just an exploitative look into the crimes of Ken Bianchi (from Rochester, NY) and his cousin Angelo Buono, JR. In the special features on the DVD released by Tartan there's an Interview with C Thomas Howell (who played Bianchi) and he is either extremely stupid, or as I suspect, stoned out of his damn mind.
½ September 14, 2011
good. and i never really knew anything about these guys
September 9, 2011
kinda disappointed in it, it didn't feel like a horror story, they tried making one of the killers (Bianchi) appear weak & impressionable so much as to not be responsible for his part in the killings, as if we're supposed to feel sorry for him that he had a bad break up with his pregnant girlfriend so it wasn't his fault he raped & murdered a hooker.
August 17, 2011
A very good film. It has the grim, grimy realistic atmosphere of Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer with a touch of black humour. I don't understand all the negative press. I really enjoyed it. Hats off to Chuck Parello!
March 16, 2011
This guy killed 2 chicks here in good ole Eugene.
December 13, 2010
I found this movie entertaingIt wasent to gross and the pace moved along nicley
December 10, 2010
I'm not sure what to say about this really. It's sleazy as hell but that's mostly what it has going for it.
October 4, 2010
There is a lot to love about this movie ,but I feel about 3/5th's of the way through it drops of a bit.