Into the Sun - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Into the Sun Reviews

½ July 15, 2011
You can think what you want about Steven Seagal, but you definitely can't ignore him. He's not just a movie actor, he's an entire genre all by himself. Within that genre, "Into The Sun" isn't the worst. Not the best either, but worth watching all the way through. Seagal's a bit too out of shape to really match up to what he did in the early 90s, but at least it seems like he's actually trying this time around. He's probably still using stunt doubles, but he sure as hell does it more cleverly this time around. Generally the action scenes just look right, the visual style to this is excellent. I especially enjoyed the grand finale, which focuses on some really well-choreographed sword fights. There are some downsides too, but they are the same downsides pretty much every Seagal flick has. Why do people keep putting Seagal in love subplots? It's embarrassing to watch every time. Also there's the usual spiritual stuff that was only amusing once. This really isn't that bad, but yet again it brings absolutely nothing new. Watch out for a blink or you'll miss cameo from Chiaki Kuriyama.
½ January 23, 2011
This is weird even for Seagal. Now I like the action when it was there. But there wasn't enough of it, and when I want to watch a Seagal flick it usually means I want to shut my brain off. However, most of it is in Japanese and damn it, if I have to read that means I have to think. If I have to think while watching a Seagal movie there is no way to enjoy it. So for the pure action yeah its "eh", but it makes me think. I don't want to think and watch one of Seagal's films.
January 15, 2011
Seagalin uudemmista leffoista ehka parhaimmistoa, vaikka napanoyhtaa onkin, japanilainen miljoo ja kieli plussaa b-leffalle, Matthew Daviksen rooli kaytannossa surkuhupaisa ja helvetin typera jatkuvasti mokaileva kretiinina, juonesta ja parisuhdekuviosta ei ole mitaan sanottavaa stiivarille ominaiseen tyyliin, laski jatka nykyaan...
November 3, 2010
amazing movie, he kicks their ass in one shot sword swing.chiaki kuriyama is cool too, too bad for his partner ,his teacher and his girlfriend actually, because of his job, they died. It's a price that he must pay.
½ August 22, 2010
A Seagal film that slipped under my radar. Not as bad as some I've seen. Still pretty violent. The music score annoyed and overshadowed the bad acting in most scenes.
½ July 1, 2010
This was actually a decent movie. Compared to Seagal's previous few movies this was a massive improvement, but not as good as his early films.
February 23, 2010
My eyes!! OH DEAR LORD MY EYES!!!!
This flick is an abomination and should be burned. Only 3 bits are worthwhile;

1-At the start Seagal is talking to a bloke in Japanese and said bloke has his tongue firmly up Seagal's anus as he references how much of a master Seagal clearly is. Hilarious.

2-At one point in a fight Seagal picks up some chopsticks, says "Are these your chop-sticks!?" and proceeds to insert them into a goon's jugular. High point of the film.

3-He chops off a dude's arm then moves on to other baddies...but the camera remains on said sans arm as the wound literally PISSES blood and he screams and screams...and screams.

Other than that this whole thing is truly god awful...but then saying that it IS better than Attack Force.
January 13, 2010
Alright well this movie was pretty ridiculous, and obviouslly pretty bad, but there were a COUPLE of things that I liked. Don't get me wrong, "Into the Sun" was a mess, but it had some positive aspects.

When the hell is Steven Seagal NOT a CIA operative? I mean like every movie he's in now, it's the same dude...and really there was no surprise there. The only difference here is that he is in Japan, so I guess that spices it up a little bit. The plot is obviouslly nothing special, and I've seen it a million times, and that's to be expected with a direct to dvd action film.

One thing that I actually liked about this movie was the soundtrack. I thought that for direct to DVD it was kind of cool, but it was nothing amazing, although it did make the movie kind of better than it actually was.

I really had a problem with the shootouts. Mainly because the gunfire sounded so stock, and everything looked ridiculous. In this movie, there was nothing realistic about how Seagal was firing his weapons, and that was pretty annoying. In the first sequences the way he fires the assault rifle just got on my nerves, so I had to address it.

Like all of these types of films, there are countless errors in film editing. There are too many cross fades in random areas, and it's really aggravating to watch. Like I'm trying to correct it, but I can't because the film has already been released.

Theirs nothing more to say about this movie. It was a mess, just like expected. I was able to sit through it, but "Into the Sun" was a BAD movie.
December 24, 2009

December 9, 2009
Steven takes a break from killing and has some ice-cream:

"ma'am what is this?"
"oh, yes thats black cherry"
"i wanted sweet cream. give it to me now"
"im sorry sir i didnt realize i--"
"1..... 2..... "
"OK OK! heres the sweet cream!"
"thanks Linda"
"wait... do i know you?"
SNNNNAAAPPPPP!!!!!
½ November 4, 2009
Unless Sci Fi channel subtitles were not working or was it done on purpose that when they spoke in Chinese/Japanese/Mandarin - had to guess what they were talking about. Film was a bit rubbish to be honest.
September 17, 2009
Esta entretenida, acción muy al estilo Seagal..
½ July 15, 2009
There's way too much going on here. Seagal was having marginal success in the early 00's getting some fairly well-known actors in his movies. Here he's trying to drag down a few respectable Japanese actors, and he does just fine dragging them down, thank you. Into the Sun is all over the place. Some of the Japanese actors can speak English, or at least can mold their mouths around the words. Sometimes they don't even try, and some really horrible dubbing takes place (any seen with Seagal's girlfriend is unwatchable to someone like me, who absolutely hates all dubbing in film).

Seagal looks a LITTLE less pudgy than he did in Half Past Dead, but that hasn't really done anything to improve his presence. In the last 10 years, Seagal has abandoned a lot of the conventions from his early work that were very enjoyable (in an unintentionally hilarious way). The same thing is happening here. There's no good humor, the supporting actors are all terrible (and sometimes stupid), and the action sequences are nothing special or creative.

Nothing here, even for Seagal fans.
May 17, 2009
Loved the action and arm and leg breaking!!!
May 11, 2009
While it's handsomely shot for a direct-to-video Steven Seagal flick, this movie is a raging piece of shit. It's not bad enough to warrant amusement, and it isn't good enough to warrant your time. Only those from the Vern school of Seagology need apply, and any member of that school (for example, me) is a braindead masochist anyway, so just stay the fuck away.
shesdownbytheriver
April 9, 2009
No thanks - Not interested.
March 25, 2009
Steven Seagal speaks english to people that only speak japanese back... This doesn't make sense Do they understand english or not I don't get it.
March 23, 2009
very entertaining movie but not recommended for young people coz' it's too violent but we can learn a lesson that money is not that matter which is the reason for killing...but to live a life free from evil and abominations that cause by root of evil...money!
½ March 19, 2009
Let's keep this one brief. Pretty tired.

In a word: disappointing.

Expectations are a bitch. This film is definitely a better made than Belly of the Beast (though just barely) and was not at all unenjoyable to sit through (it does drag quite a bit, in truth, but I think I'm becoming desensitised to the badness. Scary.) The problem is that it fails to deliver in the area most abundantly crucial to an enjoyable Seagal film - action.

There is very, very little action in Into the Sun. There's a lot of testosterone on display, fo' sho', and plenty of tough guy confrontations - but unfortunately these rarely grow into anything remotely resembling a set piece.

It's asking a lot from a DTV movie, you might say, but Into the Sun was actually released theatrically in Japan (did pretty well too, apparently) so I don't think it's unreasonable of me to have been expecting more than one aikido fight and a sword fight that lasts longer than 30 seconds (which, admittedly does occur during the finale, but even that comes and goes by far too quickly - although the film then proceeds to drag on for another 10 minutes afterwards with absolutely no good reason whatsoever.)

So yeah, it's a real shame, because I'd heard good things about this one, and ended up majorly let down. It's got style, and the novelty of seeing Seagal actually speaking Japanese for long stretches (be sure to watch the movie with subtitles on, btw, if you bother) + the genuine enthusiasm Seagal seems to have whilst getting to stomp around on his old home turf (aikido MASTER, motherfuckers) makes me glad that I've seen it. I just hope Renegade Justice will make up for Into the Sun's shortcomings.
March 9, 2009
Really great movie to watch