A Snake of June (Rokugatsu no hebi) Reviews

• Dec 28, 2013

An ill man forces a female telephone operator to act out his sexual fantasies with her obsessive husband. Once again, Tsukamoto examines fetishism in a daring and idiosyncratic visual way, exploring the relationship between human alienation and human relationships with 'the machine'. The filmmaker, with this film, christened himself as one of the main exponents of the experimental scene. A Snake of June is an eccentric stylistic exercise that will certainly find its detractors and every now and again feels self-indulgent, but one must admire it for its psychedelic and nightmarish audacity.

• Oct 25, 2013

I like the idea and the vintage style too. Too bad that ultimately Tsukamoto n't avoid being Tsukamoto

• Jul 28, 2013

Quite unique and original and a little strange at times and beautifully erotic

Quite unique and original and a little strange at times and beautifully erotic

• Nov 16, 2012

Un'opera stilisticamente geniale, estrema, con una fotografia stupenda, sul risveglio dei propri desideri e delle proprie perversioni.

• Jul 20, 2012

A twisted movie with a shocking disrespect for women. The plot revolves around a voyeur who blackmails a woman with photos that he took of her masturbating, trying to convince her that she should be more comfortable with her sexuality. She ultimately forgives his manipulative and perverse blackmailing scheme (it gets worse than spying and picture-taking, believe me) and finds that he is right, she SHOULD be more comfortable and expressive with her sexuality! All it took was a man to terrorize her and use her sexuality as a bargaining chip for her to understand! Bah. What frustrates me most is that, because of surreal moments in the film, people on IMDB boards are comparing this trash to a Lynch and Bunuel movies. Not cool.

• ZACHO D Super Reviewer
    May 23, 2012

Not as mind blowing as "Tetsuo: The Ironman" and an easier, more straightforward film in comparison. Critics are saying that Shinya Tsukamoto's "A Snake of June" is one of his "mature" flicks, but I'm not sure if I liked that as much as the pure insanity, adrenaline, and art that was fired at me from his previous films. However, there are still some great visual aspects here and there, but it's a very different film from Shinya Tsukamoto. I liked " A Snake of June", but it's nowhere up to the greatness of the "Tetsuo" movies or "Tokyo Fist"

• Feb 12, 2012

Asuka Kursawa is very hot!

Asuka Kursawa is very hot!

• Dec 26, 2011

Shot in "metallic" shade of B&W, this is certainly a very stylish movie. The director uses bizarre and sometimes hallucinatory visuals to create intensity and it works quite well. Unfortunately a rather mundane story doesn't justify the way it was conveyed, so in the end it felt as if the movie was incomplete.

• Oct 17, 2011

Tsukamoto tries his hand at noir in this disturbing yet beautiful film of a repressed woman having her darkest desires tapped by an admiring stalker.

• Aug 04, 2011