Emile - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Emile Reviews

September 3, 2015
This is about memory and nostalgia. Competent but nothing noteworthy.
½ July 24, 2013
The story had promise, but the editing made it incredibly hard to follow.
January 29, 2013
Not reassuring, all of these reviews. I bought the dvd a while back and may have tried to watch it but I believe I sold it to a second hand store then more recently "bought it back" and I will finally try and watch it tonight. Until this point, I'd been catching up on season 1 of Dallas...I wonder if this movie will be worth the wait or if any of these reviewers can be trusted for their opinions and evaluations of the film and characters?

This movie was worth the wait and the patience to see it through and no: Scott Foundas, Elizabeth Weitzman, V.A. Musetto, Stephen Holden and David Blaylock cannot be trusted for their opinions and in fact, I suggest that all of them need to find another line of work.

Emile is an unusual, sad, sometimes uplifting look at an older man who is the lone survivor of three brothers who once worked a Saskatchewan farm. Emile left for England for studies (realistic?) and never returned to see either brother and in fact, failed to come back for his niece who was orphaned not just by her parents but also her grandparents. Emile finally returns to Canada for an honorary award and to see the last two members of family that he has but has never really known.

He comes to stay with the two relatives who are already feeling awkward with one another due to marital trouble and growing pains and they slowly get to know each other and he plays a part in reconciling the daughter to her mother. 10/10
February 8, 2012
Slow, comtemplative and reflective like the old man it portrays. Also touching, compelling, well-acted with characters I cared about. Beautifully filmed in British Columbia.
½ February 8, 2011
another touching drama between past and present, mckellen is great.
May 18, 2009
A movie about the power of words.
February 2, 2009
I liked the movie a lot more than I expected. Not that I thought it was going to be a bad movie, but I had no real concept of what I'd think of it so really enjoying it was a nice surprise. We had heard it was slow, but I actually found it to be quite gripping and as such it didn't appear slow. At first it was a little distracting watching the movie with Ian McKellen two rows behind us and a couple of seats along, but my focus settled down as we got further in. The movie was much more easily identified with than you might expect, being a movie about a 65 year old man and me being anything but. The theme was something I think can get to anyone and what really got me was the story of Emile leaving his two brothers behind and what happened to them subsequently. I think anyone who moves away from their family can understand the need to separate and how easy it can be to let that separation become too vast. As someone who has never lost a close member of my family, and lives in vague terror of the day it finally happens (as it must do unless I'm hit by a bus in the near future), I found the movie very touching and even teared up a couple of times. On a less precise scale, Emile's flaw was that he ran away from responsibility and difficulty and as a result never really lived his life, as far as we can tell. It's always easy to tell ourselves that what we're doing is for the best, but often that can be an excuse for not doing something that seems too hard. The only flaw I would pick with the movie is that occasionally the music was a little too much. Aside from that the acting was excellent, the script was excellent and the shooting was beautifully done. I think a lot more people will find something to associate with in this movie than might think they would. Have you ever moved away from home? Have you ever not kept in touch when you knew you should? Have you ever been hurt by or betrayed a family member?
½ January 1, 2009
Ian McKellen is amazing as always, and the subtle character study works quite well, even though the film could have used a bit more originality with the storytelling.
½ August 1, 2008
great acting from mckellen, love the solemn music in the background...the film is quite slow and sparse, wasn't completely clear on whose daughter nadia was for a while but interesting story about identity and regret, wld quite like to see the other bessai films.
July 27, 2008
A pleasant watch of distant relations coming together, with the obligatory dark secret.
½ June 29, 2008
Yksinkertainen tarina, joka paljastetaan katsojalle vähitellen. Hienovaraisesti kerrottu ja näytelty. Visuaalisesti kaunis elokuva.
May 11, 2008
Svikande farbror tervnder till hemlandet och sin brorsdotter och hennes dotter, och frst blir det gnissel men sen ordnar det sig, Inte helt otippat. Fint foto.
March 17, 2008
I really enjoyed this, a very moving movie that takes you on a touching journey. Ian McKellen is excellent in it, challenged by his past & present throughout. Well worth making time for.
February 17, 2008
Mysterious and moving. I loved the way Emile was struggling with his aching past somewhere between reality and memories, and how elaborately the combat of the intertwining past and present was shot. Sir Ian McKellen was almost heartbreaking as Emile, but also the rest of the cast was succesfull. The pianomusic was eloquent.
February 1, 2008
Well acted, but not so much directed, they become to caught up in showing strangely coloured pictures of the orphanage which could have been spent writing a better ending. Emile gives a speech... "errr yer... sorry bout that leavin u in the orphanage." neice: "oh that's alright come let us go home and be best mates!" and I jsut want to state McKellen is an acting geniouse!
½ January 31, 2008
Very watchable film. However I felt utterly depressed throughout!
December 5, 2007
the beauty and poetry of this canadian movie will pierce your chest.
October 22, 2007
Well written Canadiian set drama with Ian McKellen trying to make amends for the past, with frequent flashbacks. It is quite slow moving, and unfortunately not one where you can pick up easily half way through without having lost an important part of the story.
October 21, 2007
Brilliantly played and a really nice story. I'll not normally wtach a film like this but it struck me. It's a wonderful film and the music is hauntingly beautiful.
October 14, 2007
A routine memory piece about long-buried family secrets that bubble back to the surface to wreak havoc.