House of Bamboo - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

House of Bamboo Reviews

½ February 17, 2015
"House of Bamboo" é sobretudo uma grande lição de cinema despretensioso e continuamente empolgante, como só Samuel Fuller conseguiria. O realizador que um dia disse que nenhum filme presta, a menos que nos deixe com tesão nos primeiros minutos, sabe perfeitamente de que maneira dispor as peças de "House of Bamboo" para que a nossa respiração passe rapidamente a ser sincronizada com o ritmo imparável desta história de gangsters. Juntando isso a todo um festival de cor apresentado em widescreen, ficamos com aquele que deve ser um dos mais incríveis e subestimados filmes de Samuel Fuller. Não há também como ignorar o facto das palavras "Breaking Point" serem escutadas por duas vezes, porque, mesmo sem isso, "House of Bamboo" pertenceria entre a primeira linha de suspeitos que influenciaram um tal filme de acção com surfistas ladrões e um polícia infiltrado que diz muitas vezes "Brah". É imperdível, com todas as letras.
½ January 20, 2015
Otro film clasico y uno de mis favoritos, energico y viril film de Samuel Fueller.
½ August 23, 2013
I liked it, but I felt that there were some strange plot holes that kept me from really sinking my teeth into it. That said, the final scene was great (if silly)
October 31, 2012
This was a fairly standard film, with a few decent twists. Not bad, but I've seen better.
September 29, 2012
August 31, 2012
Solid film. I'm not really sure why this ended up in the Fox Noir DVD set because not much of it takes place during the night-time--a key element of NOIR movies. However, it was still a pretty good movie starring a young Robert Stack.
½ August 20, 2012
This is not a realistic picture by any means, but in true Fuller style the hoary plot gets shook up by blunt cinematic brilliance and true subversiveness in order to make a truly unique world. Be sure to watch in the full Cinemascope ratio!
August 13, 2012
Hard bitten technicolour Film Noir film on loaction in Japan just 10 years after the war had ended.

Director Sam Fuller is on top form here as he weaves a tail of love and crime amid the beauty of Japan.

Robert Stack plays a tough army investigator who is assigned the task of tracking down and even tougher gang of ex GIs who have been commiting crimes and leaving a trail of bodies in their wake.

Robert Ryan is excellent as the leader of the gang Sandy Dawson who has no compucture in killing a man left behind or executing one of his own on suspicion of ratting him out.

Fuller of course fills the film with plenty of hard bitten dialogue, but we also get a belivable love story between Stack and Shrirley Yamaguchi as the widow of one of the gang.

Fullers never belittles the Japanese in the film and its to his credit that they are shown in a more positive light to that of a ruthless gang of thugs.

The climax when it comes is deftly staged as Stack hunts down his quarry in a final shoot out to the death.

If you think only quality film noir is shot in black and white then Fullers lurid masterpeice will change your mind it really is that good .
½ May 28, 2012
Crafty lil' crime thriller set in post-war Japan. The biggest flaw's the emphasis it puts on the subplot love story.
K L
May 10, 2012
Maybe it is just Robert Stack, but HOUSE OF BAMBOO to crime thriller genre is like WRITTEN ON THE WIND to romance. They look similarly bright in colors, have the same kind of generic music going on at all kind, the sound kind of shabbiness in dubbing, and are both extremely melodramatic. HOUSE OF BAMBOO is not as affected and as corny (in the best sense of the word) as Douglas Sirk's melodrama, and is a very solid film for what it is.
This is my first Samuel Fuller film. My impression of him as this moment is the same as that for Sirk: greatly gifted, more to be learned from than to be looked at.
½ November 27, 2011
Robert Stack in a Robert Ryan-run ex-G.I. crime syndicate in post-War Tokyo.
½ November 12, 2011
An engaging thriller that looks awesome on the big screen. Also, it has young DeForest Kelly in it! Well, as young as the guy ever was.
November 4, 2011
House of Bamboo is an average movie. It is about a U.S. Army Investigator who attempts to probe the death of an Army official. Robert Ryan and Robert Stack give good performances. The script had some high points (i.e. setting and culture) but not enough to keep me interested. Samuel Fuller's direction of this film was okay. I was disappointed after watching this film.
½ October 19, 2011
½ October 18, 2011
Surprisingly slow gangster flick, especially given the director. Fuller seems interested in the Japanese backdrops and the subliminally homoerotic relationship between boss Ryan and his men than in the plot. Stack's part should have been played by Charlton Heston--then maybe you'd have a classic here, because Ryan is great as always, while Stack plays it just a little too straight, no pun intended.
September 7, 2011
AKA Tokyo Story. This film is often cited as a film noir in colour, but while the story seems to house some noir elements, the style of the piece rarely backs that up. It is visually very pleasing throughout however and the rooftop setting for the finale is simply stunning. It is by no means Ryan's greatest performance, but he proves he has a skill level way beyond Robert Stack as the pair scrape through some terrible dialogue and often repetitive narrative choices. I saw a film print of this on the big screen at Film Forum in Downtown New York which was quite a treat, but I'd actually forgotten just how annoying American cinema audiences can be. As is usual, two or three pretentious wankers tried to show the rest of us how knowledgeable they were by placing loud mocking laughter at the moments of poor dialogue and spoiled much of the enjoyment I might have had because, while House of Bamboo generally feels under developed and an out of step noir in its colourful Japanese setting, it is a brave and odd film that has some memorable moments. Like an old friend of mine once said: "When I have enough money I'm going to build myself a cinema, and it'll have one fucking seat".
flixsterman
½ April 1, 2011
This could have been a credible film noir piece were it not for the inept dialog, the brightly lit sets and the insistence that Japanese people are merely movie props to be placed here and there throughout the film like houseplants.
bbcfloridabound
½ January 21, 2011
January has been the month of House movies. That is watching movies with house in the title. This one filmed in 1954 in Japan a time when the United States had very little culture influence on that country and this film shows the old beauty of Japan. Loaded with a host of stars. Its about a Gang of crooks from the US robbing different places in Japan, and during which a army soldier is killed and the army sends an undercover man in to bust the gang. Its a great story with great color. 4 1/2 stars, they just don't make films like this anymore.
December 20, 2010
It's seems to me that this was more of an advert for japan than a gritty fuller drama. But it had it's moments particularly the hitchcock-ish ending. Interesting commentary on racism as well.
November 4, 2010
interesting images compositions and nices images of 50s Japan. Shows cultural clash with the careless/direspectful american characters. One of a kind Noir movie.