House of Bamboo Reviews

• Feb 17, 2015

"House of Bamboo" é sobretudo uma grande lição de cinema despretensioso e continuamente empolgante, como só Samuel Fuller conseguiria. O realizador que um dia disse que nenhum filme presta, a menos que nos deixe com tesão nos primeiros minutos, sabe perfeitamente de que maneira dispor as peças de "House of Bamboo" para que a nossa respiração passe rapidamente a ser sincronizada com o ritmo imparável desta história de gangsters. Juntando isso a todo um festival de cor apresentado em widescreen, ficamos com aquele que deve ser um dos mais incríveis e subestimados filmes de Samuel Fuller. Não há também como ignorar o facto das palavras "Breaking Point" serem escutadas por duas vezes, porque, mesmo sem isso, "House of Bamboo" pertenceria entre a primeira linha de suspeitos que influenciaram um tal filme de acção com surfistas ladrões e um polícia infiltrado que diz muitas vezes "Brah". É imperdível, com todas as letras.

• Jan 20, 2015

Otro film clasico y uno de mis favoritos, energico y viril film de Samuel Fueller.

• Aug 23, 2013

I liked it, but I felt that there were some strange plot holes that kept me from really sinking my teeth into it. That said, the final scene was great (if silly)

• Oct 31, 2012

This was a fairly standard film, with a few decent twists. Not bad, but I've seen better.

• Sep 29, 2012

• Aug 31, 2012

Solid film. I'm not really sure why this ended up in the Fox Noir DVD set because not much of it takes place during the night-time--a key element of NOIR movies. However, it was still a pretty good movie starring a young Robert Stack.

• Aug 13, 2012

Hard bitten technicolour Film Noir film on loaction in Japan just 10 years after the war had ended. Director Sam Fuller is on top form here as he weaves a tail of love and crime amid the beauty of Japan. Robert Stack plays a tough army investigator who is assigned the task of tracking down and even tougher gang of ex GIs who have been commiting crimes and leaving a trail of bodies in their wake. Robert Ryan is excellent as the leader of the gang Sandy Dawson who has no compucture in killing a man left behind or executing one of his own on suspicion of ratting him out. Fuller of course fills the film with plenty of hard bitten dialogue, but we also get a belivable love story between Stack and Shrirley Yamaguchi as the widow of one of the gang. Fullers never belittles the Japanese in the film and its to his credit that they are shown in a more positive light to that of a ruthless gang of thugs. The climax when it comes is deftly staged as Stack hunts down his quarry in a final shoot out to the death. If you think only quality film noir is shot in black and white then Fullers lurid masterpeice will change your mind it really is that good .

• May 28, 2012

Crafty lil' crime thriller set in post-war Japan. The biggest flaw's the emphasis it puts on the subplot love story.

• May 10, 2012

Maybe it is just Robert Stack, but HOUSE OF BAMBOO to crime thriller genre is like WRITTEN ON THE WIND to romance. They look similarly bright in colors, have the same kind of generic music going on at all kind, the sound kind of shabbiness in dubbing, and are both extremely melodramatic. HOUSE OF BAMBOO is not as affected and as corny (in the best sense of the word) as Douglas Sirk's melodrama, and is a very solid film for what it is. This is my first Samuel Fuller film. My impression of him as this moment is the same as that for Sirk: greatly gifted, more to be learned from than to be looked at.

• Nov 27, 2011

Robert Stack in a Robert Ryan-run ex-G.I. crime syndicate in post-War Tokyo.

Robert Stack in a Robert Ryan-run ex-G.I. crime syndicate in post-War Tokyo.