Hostage - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hostage Reviews

September 2, 2017
I thought Bruce Willis's acting was excellent. Sure it was melodramatic, that was expected. It was a good Cliffhanger. Bottom line? I wasn't here for Shakespeare. Good movie.
½ November 11, 2016
11/9/2016: An ok movie with a decent story.
September 20, 2016
It's a bit style-over-substance. It's OK, but you've seen it all before. There's nothing here that's even slightly original or fresh, and although it's not badly done, it's been done better by countless other movies.
September 18, 2016
Hostage is another action adventure thriller much like any other Bruce Willis movie. He fails as a hostage negotiator in the big city and so he moves his family to a small rural town. As the sheriff he encounters the same hostage crisis with a twist where the mafia is involved. Much like the movie The Negotiator this one was as good. Overall it was a good movie with a young Ben Foster as the bad guy.
August 28, 2016
Amazing and intense film. Great acting by Ruce Willis and others, gets deep into perspective of lots of interesting characters. Plot is detailed and very realistic, characters developed well. Unique 'love story'. HIghly recommended!
½ August 20, 2016
One word: INTENSE! That first hostage negotiating scene keeps you on the edge of your seat and Ben Foster is spectacular as the psychotic, Mars.
April 17, 2016
This movie plays with emotions. It is fantastic though. Suspense is the name of this game. I loved trying to figure out the unnamed uncredited villain of the movie. Ben Foster plays an amazing role, Bruce Willis is amazing as usual.
April 16, 2016
"Hostage" is a decent action movie but gets far too aggressive with profanity for the story that it tells. Unlike films like "Shawshank Redemption" that use profanity to create a sense of realism, this film does the opposite by using an unacceptable amount of swearing (we're talking one character shouting the f-word or s-word 4-6 times in row) in place of intelligible dialogue. There are many moments where a strong point could be made with one f-word, or even another choice of profanity, or imagine a world when a well-written line that doesn't rely on profanity could make an impact; instead, the writers turn to repeated f-words to show frustration. I find this completely unacceptable in this sort of film. Outside of the profanity, Bruce Willis revisits his traditional kick-butt cop role with a variation in which he has to become a vigilante because of a clever plot twist. He does a nice job while the rest of the cast is very average. This movie makes me really mad at dumb teenage boys who give in to peer pressure. The events of the film escalate quickly and (for the most part) realistically, but the entire of the story develops from one mentally unhealthy boy who is able to convince two others to get in trouble with him. Although no part of this film could be classified as horror, there are a few scenes that are so intense that you'll want to retreat to a happy place. "Hostage" is definitely a step down from the "Die Hard" series but it is worth watching for its intensity and unpredictable nature. Just prepare yourself for an abundance of swearing that is not necessary in portraying these events.
March 8, 2016
A failed negotiator gets a job in a small town where some bad kids unknowingly take a member of the mafia hostage after failing to steal his car.
February 11, 2016
Man, the opening scene of this seems like the opening of a really great psychological thriller... Then it goes progressively down-hill into overwritten action-opera

Still an entertaining enough watch (and I just love Brucie), but feels like so much wasted potential!
January 20, 2016
This movie does not give up a single opportunity to be stupid.
November 23, 2015
A pesar de tratar de ser un drama Psicológico la película no lo logra y solamente es rescatado por las secuencias de acción
October 18, 2015
This has got to be a joke, like someone vomited up a script and actually was able to afford Bruce Willis and then had no idea what to do next. *vomits*
½ October 18, 2015
Hostage is an incredible film. It is about a small town cop who must save the lives of a family held hostage. Bruce Willis and Kevin Pollak give incredible performances. The screenplay is well written. Florent Emilio Siri did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the drama and mystery. Hostage is a must see.
October 8, 2015
Some fun moments, some cringy moments, all in all. Fun.
September 2, 2015
June 25th 2012
September 2nd 2015
August 10, 2015
You feel you've seen this movie many times before only done much better.
August 8, 2015
Huh. I saw TV was showing a Bruce Willis movie I'd never heard of and thought "wow, that's got to really suck to never have even been mentioned, but hey, Bruce Willis!" and it was actually decently entertaining. It could've benefiting from being significantly more cohesive, and I admittedly forgot I was watching it during a commercial break and didn't see how it actually ended, but it was mostly enjoyable. If Bruce had had a buddy it could've passed for an 80s action movie.
½ July 24, 2015
Great movie. While it tries to transcend the typical hostage formula, and it does a few times, it still falls back into the old clichà (C)s multiple times. The action and dark style, however, help to mostly redeem the film, and the performances are solid, especially Willis and Foster.