The Life and Death of Peter Sellers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Life and Death of Peter Sellers Reviews

February 23, 2017
I didn't enjoy this one as much as I had hoped I would. Peter Sellers was a great character actor and complicated person, but also something of a jerk to those closest to him which was hard to watch at times. I also didn't love some of the film techniques employed by director Stephen Hopkins such as occasionally having Geoffrey rush as Sellers jumping in a playing people in his life and speaking to the camera. You have to see it to better understand it. I did like seeing Stanley Tucci as Kubrick and John Lithgow as Blake Edwards though, and Charlize Theron lit up the screen as Anita Ekberg. This is worth a watch for fans of Sellers.
½ June 5, 2016
Very fascinating look at a disturbed genius, done with style by Geoffrey Rush and director Stephen Hopkins, with a great script by Markus and McFeely. Although I had looked Peter Sellers in all of his movies I've seen over my lifetime, this look into his life really shows the problem of actors who create so many characters, that they no longer can identify their own. It was also disillusioning that Sellers was such a child himself, one that never grew up, that he could be such a selfish father to his three children. Finding the feet of clay in an idol is never easy on the viewer. But when one thinks about it, in the end one has to feel sorry for him, because unlike his beloved characters, he paid for his selfishness by dying alone.
½ March 5, 2016
Geoffrey Rush is too brilliant. He can be anyone he wants and in this case, he is completely Peter Sellers.
½ February 10, 2016
Could have , and should have been better imo. Was a good story but .... Actors were good including rush
February 24, 2015
one of my favorite biopics. Rush is excellent and i loved the (minor spoiler?) occasional transitions where he appears as different characters from Seller's life.
August 23, 2014
A kaleidoscopic look inside the unquiet mind of Peter Sellers (Geoffrey Rush). Despite his phenomenal success as an international film star, his comic virtuosity belied a troubled private life plagued by self-loathing, insecurity and abusive behavior. The film peers behind the facades of his many characters to expose the one that the legendary comedic actor never revealed to the public, himself.

also stars Charlize Theron, John Lithgow, Emily Watson, Miriam Margolyes, Peter Vaughan, Sonia Aquino, Stanley Tucci and Stephen Fry.

directed by Stephen Hopkins.
TheDudeLebowski65
July 16, 2014
Effective, captivating biopic on Peter Sellers, I thought that the film was superbly acted and directed, and it ranks among the finest biopics that I have seen. Peter Sellers was one of cinema's most gifted talents, and his legacy is unique, here he is brought to life in a splendid and remarkable performance by actor Geoffrey Rush, who delivers one of his career defining roles as the great actor. The film chronicles the career of Peter Sellers and it shows his troubles behind the scenes. Peter Sellers was a talented actor, and Rush is perfect for the part. He really makes the role his own, and it's hard to imagine anyone else in the part. Here we see key moments in Sellers career such him making Dr Strangelove, making the Pink Panther films and marrying actress Britt Ekland. The Life and Death of Peter Sellers is an engaging drama, one that is enjoyable from start to finish. The film is well worth your time and it will surely appeal to fans of the late actor anyone looking for a great drama to watch. At times the film does have a few weak moments, but overall due to the strong performances, the film overcomes them and it's an enjoyable affair well worth your time. Geoffrey Rush is a terrific actor, and here he steals every scene that he's in. Overall, this is a solid film, a wonderful and rich biopic that is well crafted, acted and directed. If you're looking for an entertaining biopic, then this is sure to delight you. The film has its imperfections of course, but it does possess some powerful and memorable performances with great storytelling to make it an entertaining and pleasant two hour viewing experience.
½ June 27, 2014
This is a really fun biopic of Peter Sellers, in which Geoffrey Rush plays excellently. Theron and Lithgow are also great and so is Tucci but I wish we got to see more of him as Kubrick.
½ December 31, 2013
Great film. Geoffrey rush is brilliant as Peter Sellers. The film tells the story of the real life of the cult actor, his struggles with becoming a famous actor, his different parts and his pretty sad family life... Behind a funny lad there is often a tormented soul.
½ October 20, 2013
Hopkins is completely unsuited to the material and delivers a straight-down-the-middle biopic, with characters and events rushing (no pun intended) by without making a great deal of impact. He appears to have no sense of comic timing, or how to depict the creative process; Sellers doesn't improvise or work on bits, he simply has epiphanies on the perfect way to do things. The myth of Kubrick being a humourless weirdo gets trotted out, but it's still fun, and I would have liked more of him.
June 22, 2013
Interesting movie about the great Peter Sellers, worth checking out!
½ May 25, 2013
Geoffrey Rush's gave an amazing performance as the very unique actor Peter Sellers. We are provided with an insight into the complicated personal life of a man who hadn't found his own character but immersed himself deeply into every character he played. A great film that captured important times in Peter Sellers Life and the crisis he faced which are unknown to most. A definite for Peter Seller fans.
May 16, 2013
Peter Sellers was hilarious. I really want to see this one.
½ January 5, 2013
Russ's performance is a real tour de force, playing the British thespian Peter Sellers (most memorable as Inspector Jacques Clouseau in THE PINK PANTER) whose comedic genius entertains the world but his child-like whims rendered him lonely, disturbed and very unhappy in his private life. Stephen Hopkins directs this biopic, imagining how Peter Sellers would direct and the result is a very funny and extremely poignant movie.
December 15, 2012
Terrific performances all-around and almost more interesting than Sellers' movies. It felt like the film was rushing by everything, however, and I could have stood to see much, much more of this interesting real-life character.
December 4, 2012
good flick, peter sellers was an awesome talent
½ November 23, 2012
Geoffrey Rush's spot-on performance of Sellers, is a real treat to watch.
November 21, 2012
Fantastic acting. Very convincing
½ November 13, 2012
An interesting movie about an interesting man, well played by Geoffrey Rush.
½ October 30, 2012
I loved this film, its fucking sad doh.