The Life and Death of Peter Sellers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Life and Death of Peter Sellers Reviews

½ October 15, 2012
Let there be no doubt that Peter Sellers would be an enormously difficult part to play. He has to be one of the few actors in film history who is more complex than the characters he played. (unless one considers actors such as Paul Walker... let me rephrase that, one of the few TALENTED actors) And it would be hard to imagine the man who is still famously remembered as Inspector Clouseau from the Pink Panther series being played in as flawless a manor as by Geoffrey Rush here.
½ October 13, 2012
Geoffrey Rush acted superb in this movie , not sure if the story was true or not but it was shocking .
August 3, 2012
A shocking and sad movie to Peter Sellers' fans.
½ July 26, 2012
you really see what is behind his eyes. such a terrible and crazy individual. who ownly want to be liked
½ June 17, 2012
great acting all around, not sure what else to say. could've been better, I guess, but in its finished state does the job just fine
May 31, 2012
Director Stephen Hopkins knows how to take a script with little substance and make it a visually appealing piece (I've always called him an artist first and a director second). With "The Life and Death of Peter Sellers", he's finally given a good script - one that he can apply fantastic visuals to while telling an interesting story.
May 23, 2012
Fantastically sad and touching. Insightful, creative, and superbly acted by Mr. Rush.
May 20, 2012
Geoffrey Rushes acting is amazing... he continues to set the bar higher and higher with his perfect acting.. 4 stars because the movie made you think that the lead character was an asshole....
April 15, 2012
I didn't know the great Peter sellers was as crazy as he's characters, great movie but the one one to camera becomes quite annoying after a while
½ April 15, 2012
To be fair, as an actor the guy had his heart in the right place, but face it- he was clearly fucked in the head.
April 14, 2012
I was horribly disappointed by the movies relentlessly negative portrait of the man. As with many comic stars he was a tortured soul and his films are his positive legacy to be celebrated but there must be a more rounded story than this. Indeed the book it is based on has been lambasted by the Sellers family for inaccuracy. Firstly Rush looks nothing like a young Sellers and distractingly so, as an older Seller's in costumes he is more than passable. The torturous reenacting of famous scenes was particularly annoying as most devolve into misery too. The twisted fantasy elements had merit since the man played multiple roles so expertly but again was a stylistic fluff to excuse the fiction presented as fact. the saving grace is Theron as an amazing double for Ekland and does much to save the latter parts from total depression.
March 22, 2012
E bom ver um genio sendo interpretado por outro.
February 26, 2012
A great impressionistic piece about an actor's fantasy becoming their reality. Director Hopkins really makes an exciting leap of faith. In a brilliant portrayal by Geoffrey Rush, we are given a glimpse of the absurd, extravagant, surreal, lonely, tragic life of a comic genius. A splendid near-final scene showing Sellers hallucinating through the bright, circular light of the operating theatre, when all his characters surround him. We are never sure whether they are taunting him, comforting him, keeping him company or just watching him. But we do know that Sellers is a lonely man who does not handle choices well. The Life And Death of Peter Sellers is well worth seeing - on every count. Not the least being as an insightful homage to an artist like no other. And Rush delivers a staggering performance Even though Sellers is an unsympathetic character, we're mesmerised by his troubled complexity, especially as he ends up playing everyone in his life. Surrounding characters are small but strong, and very well-played. This is a funny, romantic and ultimately tragic story that feels a little stretched and episodic. It's clever enough to let the characters grow on us, but only if we know them to begin with.

VERDICT: "High-Quality Stuff" - [Positive Reaction] This is a rating to a movie I view as very entertaining and well made, and definitely worth paying the full price at a theatre to see or own on DVD. It is not perfect, but it is definitely excellent. (Films that are rated 3.5 or 4 stars)
January 19, 2012
Decent and creative biopic about Peter Sellers that paints what an odd individual he really was. Rush is quite good, and the supporting cast is decent enough. Some of it doesn't work, but I enjoyed it enough. I'm not a huge fan of biopics at any rate, but if the subject is interesting enough I can usually find some enjoyment in it.
January 4, 2012
This should be a MUST SEE film for all those who dream of ever being actors. And by God, Geoffrey Rush is un-freaking-believably good!
September 11, 2011
Peter Sellers was an unique man, due to the fact that he never seemed to reveal the real him. As he once told Kermit the Frog (while dressed as her late Majesty Queen Victoria in the year 1888), "There is no me, I had him surgically removed"

There is only one man capable of playing this man aside from himself. And Geoffrey Rush was thus cast perfectly into this role.

A stunning look at Sellers life from the Goon Show to "Being There", it does however feel like the television film it is
½ August 20, 2011
Sjajan film o Britanskom komi─?aru Peteru Sellersu. Preodli─?na gluma, scene, muzika, djevojke... Ma wooow! U┼ 3/4ivao sam i umirao od smijeha! Gledano na Bundeku na otvorenom. :)
August 19, 2011
This blew me away. I didn't really know who he was, but the character depicted was as fascinating as he was frustrating. Highly recommended for the acting and storytelling and generally great filmmaking alike.
August 16, 2011
The movie traces the British comic's turbulent rise from popular BBC radio performer to one of the world's most gifted comedic actors. Propelled by an overly possessive mother, Sellers struggled to reconcile his relationship with women, celebrity and his many selves. Confidence eluded him despite his marriages, critical acclaim, and professional successes.

stars Geoffrey Rush, Charlize Theron, Emily Watson, John Lithgow, Miriam Margoyles, Peter Vaughan, Stephen Fry, Sonia Aquino and Stanley Tucci.

directed by Stephen Hopkins.