The Life and Death of Peter Sellers Reviews

• Jun 22, 2019

Sellers was a terrific actor and, um, eccentric human. Supported by a good cast, Rush manages, occasionally remarkably, to portray not only him but also his various on and off camera roles. Despite the obvious fictionalization, the insight into his relationship with his parents, first wife and kids and the backstage access we get is interesting and in some cases fascinating and unsettling. Yet the final act's attempt to compress his last dozen years and the 'abstract' ending felt rather anemic.

• Feb 23, 2017

I didn't enjoy this one as much as I had hoped I would. Peter Sellers was a great character actor and complicated person, but also something of a jerk to those closest to him which was hard to watch at times. I also didn't love some of the film techniques employed by director Stephen Hopkins such as occasionally having Geoffrey rush as Sellers jumping in a playing people in his life and speaking to the camera. You have to see it to better understand it. I did like seeing Stanley Tucci as Kubrick and John Lithgow as Blake Edwards though, and Charlize Theron lit up the screen as Anita Ekberg. This is worth a watch for fans of Sellers.

• Mar 05, 2016

Geoffrey Rush is too brilliant. He can be anyone he wants and in this case, he is completely Peter Sellers.

• Feb 10, 2016

Could have , and should have been better imo. Was a good story but .... Actors were good including rush

• May 26, 2015

Very fascinating look at a disturbed genius, done with style by Geoffrey Rush and director Stephen Hopkins, with a great script by Markus and McFeely. Although I had looked Peter Sellers in all of his movies I've seen over my lifetime, this look into his life really shows the problem of actors who create so many characters, that they no longer can identify their own. It was also disillusioning that Sellers was such a child himself, one that never grew up, that he could be such a selfish father to his three children. Finding the feet of clay in an idol is never easy on the viewer. But when one thinks about it, in the end one has to feel sorry for him, because unlike his beloved characters, he paid for his selfishness by dying alone.

• Feb 24, 2015

one of my favorite biopics. Rush is excellent and i loved the (minor spoiler?) occasional transitions where he appears as different characters from Seller's life.

• Aug 23, 2014

A kaleidoscopic look inside the unquiet mind of Peter Sellers (Geoffrey Rush). Despite his phenomenal success as an international film star, his comic virtuosity belied a troubled private life plagued by self-loathing, insecurity and abusive behavior. The film peers behind the facades of his many characters to expose the one that the legendary comedic actor never revealed to the public, himself. also stars Charlize Theron, John Lithgow, Emily Watson, Miriam Margolyes, Peter Vaughan, Sonia Aquino, Stanley Tucci and Stephen Fry. directed by Stephen Hopkins.

• Alex r Super Reviewer
    Jul 16, 2014

Effective, captivating biopic on Peter Sellers, I thought that the film was superbly acted and directed, and it ranks among the finest biopics that I have seen. Peter Sellers was one of cinema's most gifted talents, and his legacy is unique, here he is brought to life in a splendid and remarkable performance by actor Geoffrey Rush, who delivers one of his career defining roles as the great actor. The film chronicles the career of Peter Sellers and it shows his troubles behind the scenes. Peter Sellers was a talented actor, and Rush is perfect for the part. He really makes the role his own, and it's hard to imagine anyone else in the part. Here we see key moments in Sellers career such him making Dr Strangelove, making the Pink Panther films and marrying actress Britt Ekland. The Life and Death of Peter Sellers is an engaging drama, one that is enjoyable from start to finish. The film is well worth your time and it will surely appeal to fans of the late actor anyone looking for a great drama to watch. At times the film does have a few weak moments, but overall due to the strong performances, the film overcomes them and it's an enjoyable affair well worth your time. Geoffrey Rush is a terrific actor, and here he steals every scene that he's in. Overall, this is a solid film, a wonderful and rich biopic that is well crafted, acted and directed. If you're looking for an entertaining biopic, then this is sure to delight you. The film has its imperfections of course, but it does possess some powerful and memorable performances with great storytelling to make it an entertaining and pleasant two hour viewing experience.

• Jun 27, 2014

This is a really fun biopic of Peter Sellers, in which Geoffrey Rush plays excellently. Theron and Lithgow are also great and so is Tucci but I wish we got to see more of him as Kubrick.

• Dec 31, 2013

Great film. Geoffrey rush is brilliant as Peter Sellers. The film tells the story of the real life of the cult actor, his struggles with becoming a famous actor, his different parts and his pretty sad family life... Behind a funny lad there is often a tormented soul.