Seance - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Seance Reviews

½ January 29, 2014
Thin.....this movie is just thin.There is no real meat on this carcuss of a film.Should've,could've been more.
May 14, 2012
A supreme quiet brilliance, horror never felt so human and vulnerable
March 29, 2012
Un thriller malin et original, dont le rythme tres lent deroute un peu au depart pour mieux saisir d'effroi a l'arrivee. C'est l'histoire d'une medium qui, alors qu'elle propose ses services a la police, se retrouve elle-meme impliquee, avec son mari, dans la disparition d'une fillette. En parallele de l'intrigue, "Seance" traite habilement de la crise d'un couple et du "mal d'enfant".
½ March 29, 2012
Its nice to see, with all this "ring" and "grudge" ripoffs, a director who has the guts to do things his own way, and it mostly turns out great. This movie is not an exception. This chilling tales relies more on the story and characters than the actual ghosts which makes the movie alot more interesting. This way the tension buils up throughout the movie and the actual ghost parts of the movie becomes much more disturbing.
½ March 29, 2012
This is a very slow movie. It really didn't have much of a scare factor at all. I mean don't get me wrong. It did have a little girl ghost and a couple other freaky ones, but not enough to give you nightmares. The movie did have a small build up and I was really hoping for a jam packed ending. But at the last 15 minutes of the film, it is as if they just; gave up. I was really confused. I actually found myself rewinding the movie because I thought I missed something. In the end though, the movie was uncomfortably silent in the dialog and story area. I could see this movie being really freaky if they just put it together right. I can't really tell if the cast was decent or not in the fact that their lines were so monotone. I will have to give credit to the little girl though. She had a little creepiness to her.
March 29, 2012
One of the best in the genre and sadly overlooked due to its tv movie production.
½ November 6, 2011
Certainly is slow like hell but even thought is a really outstanding film for a TV Movie. if you have watched some films of Kurosawa (Kiyoshi) you know what to expect, similar to Kairo or Loft. The acting is good and the plot a bit predictable but worth a watch.
December 6, 2010
You're mixing two movies up that have the same name.
½ November 2, 2010
OMG so creepy.
Cure>Seance>Retribution>Pulse
½ May 24, 2010
Kurosawa treats composition and expectation almost interchangeably: when he fills the screen with negative space, you know there's no way it will end well. As a result this film, like his others, oozes creepy seemingly without effort. Yet by the end, the true horror comes not from ghosts, but from the characters' own defeated expectations and insecurities about their future. That's probably scarier.
½ March 27, 2010
Can we start a new rule that we can no longer make movies where psychics aid the police in finding criminals and missing persons? Having said that, this really wasn't too bad. I've said this about a lot of films lately, but if this had ditched the supernatural/medium stuff and had a few rewrites with some better editing, it could have made for a good thriller. It's somewhat redeemed by a good 2nd act, but the rest is predictable and slow. Kurosawa has made some really interesting films, and I really like his penchant for conveying a sense of claustrophobia in his framing. For a much better, creepier flick, go watch Kurosawa's "Cure".
December 3, 2009
½ July 29, 2009
Non siamo ai livelli di "Cure" e "Kairo", ma con questo dramma/thriller a sfondo soprannaturale Kiyoshi Kurosawa riesce comunque a coinvolgere ed a far riflettere...
July 1, 2009
slow and tense movie. Stick it out though.
July 1, 2009
für das japanische fernsehen inszeniert, aber eindeutig viel mehr als eine fingerübung für kurosawa. zwar arbeitet er hier näher am genre als in seinen gro?en filmen, aber doch gelingt es ihm, den fokus vom horriblen seiner geistergeschichte auf die tragödien zu verschieben, die sich dahinter verbergen.
½ February 17, 2009
Intriguing, but very slow, a bit too trippy, and not even close to being even moderately creepy.
February 15, 2009
Guess what. The book was better.
½ January 18, 2009
If you haven't started watchin Kiyoshi Kurosawa movies by now, you should really revise your movie viewings.
½ September 20, 2008
Pretty slow paced yet solid Asian horror from director Kiyoshi Kurosawa of Kairo (Pulse) fame--which I loved.