Spectres of the Spectrum - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Spectres of the Spectrum Reviews

November 29, 2011
Half radical firestorm and half psychotic poppycock, and the mixture is virtually self-defining: cheap cultural flotsam recycled into more of the same, but emerging from the surgery with an insurrectionary temper.
May 30, 2011
Mixed feelings on this one. As some sort of audiovisual poem on science and conspiracy made out of recycled media...it was okay for awhile. It's heavy barrage of scientific jargon, however, had me feeling like I was watching a foreign film without subtitles at times. I'm sure I knew what all the words meant if I had time to think about what was being said, but it goes so fast it is like gibberish. And I suppose that was its intent, but as a movie, there isn't a real substantial narrative to grab on to, and it became hard for me to finish. I would have liked it better if there was less of it.
December 27, 2010
An uneven, but fascinating piece of work. It seems to be trying really hard to emulate the work of Philip K. Dick, and in its creation of a highly-detailed, paranoid near future, it mostly succeeds. A lot of interesting science-fiction concepts and an engrossing plot, though it's hampered greatly by some weak performances and its negligible budget - the montage sequences are far more effective than the filmed narrative scenes.
Harlequin68
December 20, 2010
"Spectres of the Spectrum" is an intriguing but distressingly insubstantial movie that starts as Boo Boo(Caroline Koebel) is burying her grandmother in a vast wasteland in 2007. She was born in 1984, just as the Macintosh computer was being released while her father Yogi(Sean Kilkoyne) was born in 1957 at the start of the space age. Together, with a little help from their friends, time travel and archival chips(Welcome to Tesla TV), they have a front row seat to a century of technological innovations which have been compromised by multinational corporations who eventually get into the broadcasting game.(Now if you could only explain what Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis have to do with all of that...) In the end, the movie fails to show how all of this can lead to society collapsing, but it is kind of scary if you want to think of Yogi Bear as a harbinger of the end of civilization.
September 8, 2009
I had the good flixter folks add this to their cinema menagerie, and even wrote the little blurb on the movies home page here. Fuller review forth coming. See it if you can.