Soft for Digging - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Soft for Digging Reviews

March 2, 2014
horror 'concept pic' that i didn't like it
July 11, 2013
I give props for the attempt but even at 74 minutes this seems long.
November 16, 2012
Who cares if there's no dialogue? Good movie
December 31, 2011
If you don't mind watching a film that looks & feels like a senior thesis then you are in for a special treat that proves that you don't need a lot of money, name actors, gimmicks, gore, an over complicated or convoluted plot to make an effective horror movie. My only regret is not seeing this film sooner.
½ July 17, 2011
Just watched this, I was bored to tears...
July 6, 2011
An old hermit dubbed as Virgil (Edmond Mercier) loses his cat and tries to track him down in the woods. Instead of his cat he finds a man strangling a girl until she dies. Virgil runs away and calls the police to investigate the murder. The first words uttered in this film are indeed "Murder" - and those are literally the only words that Virgil utters throughout the entire film. After the girl's body cannot be found Virgil starts having strange visions - possibly due to some form of post traumatic stress disorder or it could even be that the girl is contacting Virgil from the dead. With these visions Virgil finds himself getting closer and closer to the answer of a mystery that, even in the end, isn't entirely understandable.

Hardly any dialogue is in this film so the story is told visually just about for its entirety. The films is very slowly paced, but very eerie at the same time. It borrows heavily from the visual style of Tetsuo: The Iron Man as well as other Japanese Cyberpunk movies (see Tetsuo and you'll see what I mean), but at the same time develops a sort of style of its own.

I can't say much about the acting except that the actors are masters of silence and facial expressions - though when words really are spoken, they, for the most part, are similar to dialogue when spoken in Eraserhead. To hear words in this film is one of the most surreal things imaginable, and is partly why this is a horrific masterpiece.

What's great is that there's also some humor too, for instance when a certain body wearing a loose jacket is being dragged - the jacket slides off, and the dragger has to pick the person up again. Also Virgil gets revenge on his runaway cat for all the trouble it caused him, which is pretty disturbing, but humorous at the same time.

This film may require some good amount of attention, but those who love eerie visuals will find their interest arrested in this film's wonderfully, creepy and bizarre shots. Plus the style mixture is just great!
May 7, 2011
Don't let the horror title fool you, I'd call this more of a suspense thriller. Like a silent film, seriously 95% dialogue free! The lead hermit the story revolves around had me intrigued the whole film. There are so many movies with similar themes these days, I really enjoyed this low budget, unique take on the genre.
½ May 2, 2011
This is a slow-paced thriller/horror film with almost no dialogue, but I found it intriguing.
April 2, 2011
March 18, 2011
A daringly independent and stylish horror film that features no dialogue; instead, the film has a loud soundtrack of the noises that comprise everyday life. Because of that, the film reminded me a lot of Nekromantik and its sequel, although it never features that level of disgusting gore. Instead, Soft for Digging is a quiet meditation upon horror as it follows an elderly man who witness the murder of a child while looking for his lost cat. He becomes haunted by the child but can never prove that the murder occurred to the authorities. Soft for Digging aspires towards greatness but does not quit make it; however, it remains a powerfully stylish and original horror film that will delight horror films who have grown tired of the same old cliches.
½ March 10, 2011
This was a pleasant surprise I found on Netflix stream. A low budget disturbing psychological horror film that is unique among the Indi low budget flicks. The film deals with a old man who goes looking for his cat in the woods, only to discover a man killing a little girl. He runs in panic and calls the police, but when he takes them to the spot where the man buried the child, there is no evidence that anything happened. From there the movie deals with the old man, over the winter, having nightmares and horrible visions about the murder as he slowly try's to investigate. The atmosphere and location of the shots are priceless. The director is able to capture a visual dread and dreariness that bring that sense of uneasiness to the film, not unlike Deliverance, though story wise totally different. In addition, there is very little dialog in the movie, and I mean very little. The main character speaks one word while everyone else, except for a priest, had no lines. This is the beauty of the film though. The characters use their body language, mannerisms and emotions to convey what the need to. The old man especially does a great job in doing this. I suspect the absent of dialog reflects the solitary life the old man lives. This is not a gory movie or action packed movie. This is a movie you need time with to understand what's going on. The ending of the film leaves room for speculation on what was going on. I have my own idea that is supported by clues in the film. I think there are two possible answers to the girls murder, but you can decide. For sure this is a quietly disturbing movie that catches you off guard a bit, but in the end you will be creeped out!!
November 22, 2010
"Soft for Digging" is annoying and tiresome, and that has nothing to do with J.T. Petty's interesting gimmick of shooting his entire brief film with as little dialogue as possible. The story is very basic, primal, and could be efficiently told in 20 minutes. Alas, at an hour and 14 minutes, it feels like three times its length. When the decidedly unphotogenic old man discovers a girl being strangled and buried in the wilderness and no one believes him, his painfully boring investigation into the matter brings about an incomprehensible ending. Lots and lots and lots of self-conscious artsy dolly shots and extended takes drag on for obscene lengths that would make Andrei Tarkovsky squirm in his seat and check his watch.

It's really a classic example of a film only a freshman film school student could churn out as some bullshit project over his winter holiday. "Soft for Digging" makes about as sense as its title (none) and for as hard as it tries, all I felt at the end was sorry for whoever played that little girl.
½ August 5, 2009
SeriĀ­a algo asi como "Suave para Cavar" y es la opera prima de este creador de videojuegos. Y resulta que esta peli es de esas cosas raras que escuchas por alli y que un buen dia decides buscar. Y es rara tambien porque o la sabes apreciar o no te gusta para nada, no admite posiciones intermedias. Creo que el gran acierto de esta peli es su enrarecida atmosfera y simplicidad que me recuerdan los sketch que pasaban en Barrio Sesamo (plaza Sesamo en America), las secuencias de los suegnos del padre Carras en el Exorcista, la omnipresencia del bosque de La Bruja de Blair y el aura agnejo y sobrenatural del programa de televion En Busca De.... El dia a dia del prota se convierte en un sin acabar, como una mala pesadilla, absurda y agotadora, de la que uno nunca se despierta.
August 1, 2009
Una de esas raraezas contemporaneas que espeluznan e interesan por su sabia mezcla de rareza y encanto, tan tan rara, que guarda la esencia del cine mudo, siendo u film rodado a todo color, que no utiliza apenas efectos especiales y que basicamente esta hecha por y para gustar a quien la dirigio (esas cosas se notan), a mi me parece una grata propuesta.
March 18, 2009
Pretty watchable insignificant-budget horror, with an elderly protagonist (rare!) and a bunch of interesting solutions.
February 13, 2009
One of my all time favorite movies. Very creepy and depressing atmosphere and wonders done on a shoestring budget.
January 12, 2009
I was fascinated by this movie. It was possibly the lowest budget imaginable.

I compare it to a student film from a community college that gets top honors for being a full length feature.

For what it was, I enjoyed it. It felt like I was peering into a window and watching this hermit's life unfold.

Don't let the "horror" word fool you. It is not a horror movie. It's more of a super natural thriller without a lot of thriller.
August 26, 2008
this movie was very odd, like watching a silent movie, the filming was good, overall i liked it.
½ July 30, 2008
Pelicula Underground que desafia las leyes establecidas por el cine de horror, presentando una historia corta de un hombre presenciando un horrible crimen y como esta experiencia cambiara su vida
May 3, 2008
Not Interested. Nice movie poster for it though.