Sahara - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sahara Reviews

½ June 10, 2015
The film starts off as an excellent mix of Indiana Jones and James Bond. The two fit quite well together as our ex-SEAL protagonists hunt down a missing artifact (a Confederate ironclad no less) through deadly African desert. Meanwhile a WHO worker is trying to hunt down the source of an infection and tags along with the two. The scenery is gorgeously sparse and the camaraderie is good between the two leads. The action scenes aren't the most original but they serve their purpose. It all feels like a glorious adventure, which is what it should be.

Then the film finally reaches a point where they have to choose which of the franchises to follow. And they choose wrong. And I'm not just saying that because I prefer Indy to Bond. The hunt for the ironclad is the impetus for the entire plot. The plague is almost an afterthought. And the random conspiracy that they come up with to explain that disease occupies the entire climax of the film. Once this is done they have to throw in the ironclad as an afterthought just to wrap up the original plot.
½ April 23, 2015
The preposterousness increases exponentially the further along you get in the movie. Apparently, attack helicopters can only strafe, they can't cover in place.
April 1, 2015
This film hit and missed in so many ways. There was little to no chemistry between the lead actors, almost no gut busting funny moments and cheesy/corny punchlines left and right. The only up side to this cinematic disaster were the beautiful scenes shot in many exotic locations.
March 24, 2015
awesome fun filled popcorn film at it's best
½ February 1, 2015
Saw this back when it first came out. Since then I have read a Dirk Pitt novel. Would like to see more Dirk Pitt movies made; so many adventures to chose from with all the books.
½ January 29, 2015
There are some redeeming qualities but mostly this is an action adventure that takes itself way too seriously. Full review later.
January 2, 2015
Decent adventure movie, not very memorable, but it's not the horrible mess that most reviews seem to say it is.
November 22, 2014
So I've read this is THE most expensive flop in Hollywood history, was a bit of a surprise to me I must say but I can see why really. The whole franchise based on the Dirk Pitt novels has collapsed after this first film which isn't a big deal really seeing as the character is a combination of Indy Bond and Errol Flynn, overly cliched and overused.

The film is really a poor man's Indiana Jones, a poor man's Indiana Jones in the present day basically, yet somehow the film is almost two hours long and really quite dull. The whole film consists of the heroes running around African desert whilst being shot at by various people really, there is a silly plot about trying to find a buried American civil war ironclad warship and also a plot about stopping most of the African water supply getting poisoned.

Personally I feel like they have gotten the era's mixed up, McConaughey looks and acts like a kind of dashing cinematic silver screen legend of the 30's-40's yet he is in the present day and accompanied by the rather whiny and annoying Zahn. Both the main leads are always clad in desert colour outfits which all seems to have stemmed from Indiana Jones, there is the all too common vintage car racing through the desert whilst been shot at sequence, Cruz is completely pointless throughout, it tries to be funny but fails and the ending is a rip roaring anti-climax.

To be frank I think this failed because its set in the present day and we already have a character for that and his name is James Bond. These type of adventures seem to work better when period set, 'The Mummy' films and 'The Phantom' are good examples of this type of boys own wilderness set adventures that work in another era.

I still don't get how the CSS Texas was shown at the start of the film in Virgina, US and ends up in the Niger River, Africa, anyone?? Plus on a final note...Dirk Pitt has to be one of the dumbest attempts at a cool heroic name I've come across for some time.
½ November 11, 2014
Good Adventure. Lot of stunts. Surprising paths. Nice scenery.
½ November 3, 2014
Road to Morocco meets James Bond. A movie with fun written all over it. While an iron clad taking down a modern assault helicopter is a bit of a stretch (even for this movie), Sahara is a personal favorite that delivers on many levels: star power, love story and a happy ending. Two adventurers and a WHO doctor battle an evil warlord and corrupt solar power corporation on their way to finding an ancient civil war ironclad and source of a mysterious illness. Good cinematography, music and clever writing. Stand out performance by William Macy.
½ October 24, 2014
Pretty bad movie. It wants to be a modern day Indiana Jones, mixing in some politics with the adventure, but it fails. While it has some decent action scenes and funny moments, the movie overall is quite boring and overlong, with so-so performances from the cast, Zahn standing out amongst them.
October 3, 2014
An exciting, funny, epic adventure that looks good, sounds good, and has a good cast. Not sure what movie the critics were watching instead.
September 15, 2014
This movie is not working on my tablet please fix the problem Thank you
August 24, 2014
A funny, daring adventure film with out-of-place elements. (B+)

(Full review coming soon)
½ July 4, 2014
Just when you think the plot could not get any more ridiculous or contrived, the second act hits...
½ June 22, 2014
2005's 'Sahara' has some new concept; two curious guys Dirk and Al who pursue in search of 140 years old CSS Texas an ironclad in some no man land around the province of Sahara, meanwhile a Doctor Eva from WHO arrives to Mali a place in Africa to investigate the reason behind unknown sickening of the natives, she is rescued by Dirk when attacked by an unknown native, when Eva get into the well to collect the sample of the water her team is attacked by the army of the dictator Kazim, and again she is survived with help of Dirk and Al, who coincidentally happened to meet on her way, three of them are later captures by the Madibo's army, he is a leader who was fighting against Kazim, but when Madibo realizes they are harmless he get liberal with them and explain the case of his people who were suffering from unknown sickness, meanwhile Eva finds out that the water which was being consumed by those villagers were been toxic and pursues to find out the source of toxicity, accidentally even Al and Dirk finds the place of the stranded Texas by the paintings on the wall of the cave, then they find the source of toxic where the corrosive wastes are been improperly disposed by the detoxification solar plant, which resulted in the gradual spread of poison substance to the nearby wells through underground water, the plan of Plant's owner to destroy is made to fail by deactivating the bomb by Al and as the scene consumes with some dramatic action sequences they find the existence of Texas and they get into it and fight against Kazim with firing through old rusted cannon, and thus Dirk and Al succeed in finding the long starved ironclad the CSS Texas and Eva in finding the source of unknown ill cause.

The most appreciable part of this flick is its extraordinary action sequence, though the concept and the plot seem to be unique and strange it never fails in holding you curious till the credit line flows on, performance by the lead actors are neat and tidy, direction and screen play is perfect, camera works are fantastic, depiction of Sahara is simply awesome, the must watch movie for all crazy action lovers, this flick has a strong aroma of those similar movies like Mummy & Indiana Jones, but overall a unique try.
½ June 12, 2014
I put this in with the "National Treasure" class of action movie, and on that level, it's totally effective.
½ June 4, 2014
One of my favorite movies ever. Doesn't get much love from others but I like it a lot! Just a fun movie great settings and fun characters
½ May 20, 2014
Although I love each actor individually, none were able to shine anywhere close to their full potential in this film. There was great opportunity with this film, but it fell short. The setting is fabulous and the storyline had the right idea, but never came to the point where one can really connect with the film.
½ May 14, 2014
Ah, the days before Matthew McConaughey was good. This is probably one of the worst movies I've ever seen; a painfully generic and idiotic adventure movie that has no purpose or entertainment value of any kind. It's basically two hours of a pale and lifeless Indiana Jones rip-off with none of the fun or awesome stunts. Skip this one.