Moog - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Moog Reviews

August 17, 2010
(Watched Tue 17 Aug 2010)
dfg
½ February 14, 2010
Moog is a flawed documentary but an interesting insight into an important inventor and invention.
½ January 3, 2010
Bob Moog, pioneer of electronic music, is a very smart, likable guy.
October 21, 2009
As someone who loves his piano and old Juno-60, I was highly interested in this film's subject matter. But what a disappointment. This film isn't sure whether to be a portrait of Robert Moog or a history of his products, and it fails on both counts. Little chronology of the important Moog artists and albums. Little sense of the Moog keyboard's evolution through the years. Not even much sense of how different knobs and plugs affect the keyboard's output. And the showcased artists seem somewhat arbitrary, as if it was just a case of including those who were easiest to book. I mean, really, if you can't get Wendy Carlos to appear in your Moog documentary, maybe it would be best to just scrap the project. And the climactic scene of Moog playing "Old Man River" on Theremin is wonderful, but it's preceded by a segment on other Theremin players which comes off totally out of sequence (this is a *pre*-synthesizer instrument, after all). Meanwhile, we twiddle our fingers as Moog putters around his garden and kitchen, plays video games in Tokyo and offers cosmic philosophizing on the relationship between musician and instrument which simply isn't too compelling.

Note the film's short length -- it *feels* short.
August 12, 2009
Very inspiring and interesting to see the story behind a piece of equipment that changed part of the music scene.
May 12, 2009
Could have been way more interesting given the subject matter.
½ February 4, 2009
I was sorely disappointed by this rambling, disjointed, incoherent mess.
February 1, 2009
Best Moog Documentary ever.
Two snap shots for eternal remembrance.
The two are in a direct face to face backstage dialog between Robert Moog, Rick Wakeman (ex YES) and Bernie Worell (ex Parlament Funkadelic & Sun-Ra).
First shot: Robert Moog states "Well ultimately the Moog Synthethizer has become a standard, even was created with thousands of features, that in fact fits for an Experimental Classic Composer, but now 10 years after, some features are really unusable for Pop Music", Wakeman replies "Yeah, for sure, is like your wife. How many features of your wife you are using now? 10% ?, I think less..."
Second Shot :Bernie Worell talks "You know, playing with the Moog synthetyzer is like a sexual thing. In one solo you can do the ouaaaaaaahhh softly , the woooooooooohhhh with the pitch, the grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr like fuckin her hardly and with the pedals you can make this sex long last for 10,15 or 25 fuckin minutes or more, this is sex man, this is sex!" Wakeman replies "Well, actually my solos last shortly, I think I have a premature sexual problem."
January 1, 2009
very interesting and informative.
½ November 29, 2008
Solid documentary. A bit on the short side.
April 6, 2008
Interesting, if not really the movie it should be
March 10, 2008
Great doc! Even non-engineer types can enjoy it!