Crash - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Crash Reviews

½ July 4, 2016
I heard about Crash by several friends who told me it was a scandal it won the Academy Award for best pictures. So I watched it, and I still don't know if it deserves the award. The movie is not bad. But the directing is not the thing I will remember first. Neither the actors role - even if I enjoyed the work of few of them, such as Sandra Bullock or Don Cheadle who did the job even if they have limited screen time. I think the main problem is the number of characters. I couldn't attach to any of them but for a scene in which they are hurt or where they change their minds.
Their are several great moments which made me help the film during the time of the scene : the moment whith the exploding car is great, as the final scene with Sandra Bullock or the touching moments with the character portrayed by Michael Pena and his little daughter.
These moments make me enjoy the movie. But there are too many details that made that I can do more than appreciate this film ; I can't say it is or will be a classic, but if I can't say it deserves the awards it received, I will not make a scandal for it. This is not a great movie, but at least it is a good one in many moments. It would just have been a bit better if they would have give a larger place some figures, instead of mixing all their destinies together - but it is the goal of the screenplay and of this film, so I can't really blame them for it.
June 20, 2016
Powerful, underrated and well-acted.
½ June 17, 2016
I would say this movie is about the human condition, because I don't live in America...that's why I don't get the American culture this movie has going for it. All in all, a decent movie.
½ June 11, 2016
Preachy and unbelievably inept.
May 30, 2016
This wreck is unwatchable. This is what you can do with a dull script, boring acting, and unimaginative writing, mixed with a cheap PC bouillon and sentimentality galore.
May 29, 2016
I don't think it deserved an award, but it's a decent film.
May 27, 2016
Although melodramatic and OTT in its messages it is a well made albeit overrated drama with very good performances from its ensemble cast.
May 26, 2016
One of the strongest and most emotionally jarring films I've seen in a long time.
½ May 21, 2016
Exciting, unsettling drama about race relations shows the intertwined lives of strangers in Los Angeles. Great script with some extremely funny moments, brilliant performances.
May 18, 2016
Amazing. Love the tension in the film. Great performances.
May 3, 2016
A mixed bag with a great cast. Won Best Picture 2004, but it feels less than worthy. A very good movie never-the-less.
May 1, 2016
the most magnificent depiction of the variety in human character
April 15, 2016
Crash is an okay film. It is about the Los Angeles citizens with vastly separate lives that collide in interweaving stories of race, loss and redemption. Don Cheadle and Sandra Bullock give decent performances. The screenplay is a little slow in places. Paul Haggis did an alright job directing this movie. I liked this motion picture because of the drama.
½ March 28, 2016
Crash is a valiant effort that's obviously trying to say something important, but that message is buried so deep under piles and piles of melodrama, to the point that it's a sickeningly trite excuse for a drama film. Paul Haggis is constantly beating you over the head with "cops are all racist" and "minorities are the victims" and "the upper class doesn't care about the lower class" beats; of course, some of these points are often valid in everyday life, but Haggis crams these down our throats with no subtlety whatsoever. The only real highlight of Crash's narrative is the way it intertwines the different plot lines into one cohesive narrative, and even that feels too compact for a story set in the sprawling city of Los Angeles. The ensemble cast is completely wasted, and nobody gives a truly worthwhile performance, which is odd considering the amount of talent involved. The technical aspects are fine, but even those are vanilla at best (the beauty of Mark Isham's musical score is lost through its recurring and overly dramatic usage.) There's potential hiding within Crash, but Paul Haggis opts to deliver this story in the most melodramatic way possible, and that's disappointing.
½ March 26, 2016
While it's heart is in the right place, and it has some truly fantastic scenes, it suffers from over sentimentality and a lack of subtly that it so desperately needs. The characters are more like caricatures of specific archetypes that it feels almost comical at points, though at others it feels genuine and powerful.
March 10, 2016
It might be a love it, or hate it movie, I am a little in between as some of the multi characters and stories are interesting and others are not.
½ February 25, 2016
Crash is a clever representation of reality and an well-acted movie that puts all of its actors on top and with the help of its original and pertinent theme it becomes one of the well-constructed movies of 2004, it is just very frustrating that to make some unpredictable scenes it had to resort to forced coincidences, however in the most part of the time, the movie just needed that the story have unfolded to make the revelations appear.
½ February 25, 2016
February 19, 2016
Very well driven drama that has a touchy subject, that leaves the viewer with something to think about and waiting for more. Overall,a great film about everyday life.
February 13, 2016
I am simply stunned after viewing this film. It is so powerful and moving and it never feels cliche or unrealistic. The characters in this film just feel so real. The dialogue is so conversational and it is just brilliant. Seriously, you see people like this in everyday life. The way the director makes all of these characters relevant and interwoven is just masterful. Its so easy to get lost in just one character's story, but not here. Here, almost everyone has their time to shine. I know this film is considered "one of the most overrated best picture winners of all time" and to be fair the competition may have been better that year but as a stand alone film, I was truly amazed by this tale of race and tolerance.