The Muppets' Wizard of Oz Reviews

• Mar 13, 2019

My biggest concern when I started watching The Muppets’ Wizard of Oz was the fact that I have never been a big fan of Oz or anything to do with that world. In fact, the Judy Garland original is one of those movies that I have hated for a long time and always argued it was overrated. So even though I adore almost anything to do with the Muppets, it felt like this movie would have an uphill battle to become anything I’d enjoy. Sure enough, it hits many of the familiar beats of a Wizard of Oz story, and that was where I struggled with the movie. The nice thing is that they take it all lightly and tongue-in-cheek here. When I’m allowed to laugh at some of the stupid parts of the plot it works much better for me. Also, there’s a shift in Dorothy’s motivation in this version, and that is a huge improvement. The Muppets’ Wizard of Oz didn’t deliver as many laughs as I typically expect when watching a movie from the Muppets, but there were still moments of brilliance. They broke the fourth wall a few times, which is always great, including one cut-away scene with Quentin Tarantino that was hilarious. But overall, I felt this movie was a weak imitation of the Muppet magic I grew up on. The songs were uninspired, and I can’t remember a single one. The cast wasn’t great, including the voice actors who struggled at times. I found myself grading on a curve, though. I must admit, anything with the Muppets is going to warm my heart a little more, and I find it harder to be a harsh critic. Also, the fact that this was just a TV movie and not a feature film had me going in with lowered expectations. The Muppets’ Wizard of Oz isn’t great, but I still managed to enjoy it despite its shortcomings.

• May 30, 2018

Good for kids show them

Good for kids show them

• May 03, 2018

The innuendos never end and it is just boring with poor acting

The innuendos never end and it is just boring with poor acting

• Apr 25, 2018

It was cute ... could have been better.

It was cute ... could have been better.

• Mar 21, 2018

Great for kids so I really encourage kids to watch the Muppets they are funny it will be a blast!

• Mar 04, 2016

Honestly thought this was a fun take on the classic story with the muppets.

Honestly thought this was a fun take on the classic story with the muppets.

• Dec 17, 2015

This and Muppets from Space are the only two truly bad Muppets' films. But whereas Space just made me sadly long for better times, Oz made me frustrated and angry. Rarely funny, sometimes offensive, and often dated, it's really difficult for me to think of anything positive to say. Just a complete misunderstanding of two amazing properties.

• Oct 11, 2014

The Wizard Of Oz has been parodied and retold several times, and the Muppets' version is actually quite good, with Kermit as the Scarecrow, Gonzo as the Tin Man, Fozzie as the Cowardly Lion, and Miss Piggy in three roles as Glinda, Glinda's twin sister Linda and the Wicked Witch Of The West. Ashanti also shines as Dorothy 8/10.

• Aug 31, 2014

Love the muppets even as my favorite book the wizard of oz. I saw this movie 8 times and bought it on DVD. It's hilarious!! Best muppet movie ever!!!! Recommend it

• Aug 25, 2014

As always with a Muppet film you have a hit and you have a miss. This is a tv movie and its quite clear and its a so so film. Ashanti is sassy - Latifah should have been in in more. Miss Piggy is great as the witch but the songs are pretty forgettable...