The Muppets' Wizard of Oz Reviews

½ May 22, 2009
A disapointment, really wanted to like this but its so flat and a huge anti climax :(

Dont get me wrong there are all the usual Muppets and afew nice touches but this really could of been done better. The tunes are uninspired and the look is poor and obviously done on weak looking sets with some poor bluescreen but the costumes are good and the feel is pure Muppets, I just feel they could of gone to town abit more with locations and human casting.
DreamExtractor
September 6, 2011
They ruined the movie and the Muppets.
michael e.
½ November 28, 2010
the muppets take there ride on the ride with this wizard of oz remake and the result is a wonderful, funny, entertaining, and fun for the whole family film
September 22, 2009
It has some good gags and some funny in jokes in it. Loved the bit with Quentin Tarantino and the 'Are you related to Frank Oz'? bits but hated Ashanti being in it. It?s the Muppets and I love them but it?s not the same as it was.
½ March 9, 2007
Ashanti is a pretty terrible actress. But I find it hard to really dislike anything that involves muppets. Though i still don't get why Toto turned into a Latino King Prawn.
½ March 26, 2007
It was funny, I liked the adaptation from the original movie with the most popular characters of the muppets. The special appearance by Quentin Tarantino making a mock of himself and his movies was excellent. The fx and the music are fairly good.
December 29, 2006
this was pretty rubbish quite boring actually!!!
December 2, 2011
They ruined the movie and the Muppets.
January 10, 2010
This movie actually had some really great lines that didn't even seem child-appropriate which was funny. It wasn't something I'd watch again...it lost me toward the end...but overall, it was okay.
October 14, 2007
I may be in my 20s but I love a good kid's movie once in a while. This is not one of them. Ashanti is yet another singer that wants to do more but like a great many of them she fails miserably. Her songs are fine; it's mostly everything else in this movie that bothers me.

The script is bland with nothing of interest for the older viewers but some mild innuendos and celebrity references. As much as I disliked it, however, I did think that it was nice that they had a few extra tidbits from the book.

Oh, and I'm all for making Dorothy stronger than the original movie but why a wannabe star? Miss Piggy is amusing but not enough to block out the blah performances of the usually wonderful Muppet cast. Oh, and I love Aunt Em and Uncle Henry but their blah reactions to finding Dorothy alive made me laugh out loud.

Bottom Line: An okay rental but nothing to add to your Muppet collection.
½ November 11, 2012
Lacking in true imagination and almost completely devoid of the trademark heart that the Muppets generally bring to their productions. The music is awful and uninspired, Ashanti is a terrible lead, and the special effects the worst thing this side of the rainbow. There are some clever lines, but few and far between. Maybe kids won't notice the lackluster effort put into the script, but this is without a doubt the worst Muppets production ever.
January 10, 2012
(3 Stars) There's something you have to accept before seeing The Muppets' Wizard of Oz... it's not the immaculate 1939 version. You cannot duplicate the dream-like atmosphere of the Victor Fleming film. The songs are nowhere near as memorable, the pushy Ashanti is not the innocent Judy Garland, and the production value is a bit low; you can tell it has a much lower budget than theatrical films like Muppet Treasure Island and Muppet Christmas Carol. So as long as you remember you're watching a Muppet movie and not a retread of a classic, you'll have a good time. The movie has some really funny parts thanks to some good Muppet humor and I think this is the most I've laughed at Miss Piggy. Maybe there are some oddly-quoted pop culture gags that will go over the kids' heads including The Passion of the Christ, Napster, and Girls Gone Wild... Girls Gone Wild; that just sounds weird in a Muppet movie. But it also has some pretty good celebrity cameos, notably Quentin Tarantino in a funny bit. There are many problems you can pick at with The Muppets' Wizard of Oz, but it's the Kermit, Miss Piggy, Gonzo, Fozzie Bear, Sam Eagle, and Pepe being funny and they put on a good show.
June 23, 2008
Love the Muppets and the Wizard of Oz, but they did so many things wrong here, and they should have paid the big bucks for Hilary Duff. Really would have made it better! And I love Pepe, but Rizzo should have had the Toto role!
½ October 5, 2007
I love the Wizard of Oz and I've always been a fan of the Muppets, so I couldn't resist this movie. It was pretty good.
August 4, 2007
Ok, I love the Muppets, but this was a trite piece of garbage! I hope it's not a sign of things to come. It had so much potential too.
½ July 21, 2007
Some one dropped the ball on this one. This is by far not only the worst adaptation of The Wizard of Oz but the worst Muppet movie. This could have been so much better but the movie just didn't deliver.
April 30, 2007
I am so sad to even do this...but I was soo so so so disappointed in this!! I never thought I would have to say that about a Muppet Movie! :(
½ April 13, 2007
it was oki.wasn't the best movie,but it was funny!an i luv muppets,for some reason.kermit's my favorite.you can not keep him!my kermit!
½ April 4, 2007
It was cute. Watched it with the kids, I'm partial to Oz movies so I watched it ! Ashati didnt do too bad as Dorthey !
½ March 5, 2007
This is a fairly so-so telling of Baum's fantastic novel. The muppets keep their charm throughout and the children will enjoy it greatly, but there are times when it feels sort of uninspired.