The Muppets' Wizard of Oz - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Muppets' Wizard of Oz Reviews

½ March 4, 2016
Honestly thought this was a fun take on the classic story with the muppets.
½ March 2, 2016
I hear it sucks, but's the Muppets!
December 17, 2015
This and Muppets from Space are the only two truly bad Muppets' films. But whereas Space just made me sadly long for better times, Oz made me frustrated and angry. Rarely funny, sometimes offensive, and often dated, it's really difficult for me to think of anything positive to say. Just a complete misunderstanding of two amazing properties.
September 9, 2015
They ruined The Wizard of Oz..and the Muppets.
October 11, 2014
The Wizard Of Oz has been parodied and retold several times, and the Muppets' version is actually quite good, with Kermit as the Scarecrow, Gonzo as the Tin Man, Fozzie as the Cowardly Lion, and Miss Piggy in three roles as Glinda, Glinda's twin sister Linda and the Wicked Witch Of The West. Ashanti also shines as Dorothy 8/10.
September 1, 2014
Love the muppets even as my favorite book the wizard of oz. I saw this movie 8 times and bought it on DVD. It's hilarious!! Best muppet movie ever!!!! Recommend it
½ August 25, 2014
As always with a Muppet film you have a hit and you have a miss. This is a tv movie and its quite clear and its a so so film. Ashanti is sassy - Latifah should have been in in more. Miss Piggy is great as the witch but the songs are pretty forgettable...
July 7, 2014
One of the weaker Muppets films, although with these characters it's always going to have at least a few laughs.
½ June 19, 2014
The overal spirit of the Muppets is very obviously missing from this very distasteful movie. The jokes are mediocre at best, and some of them are deeply inappropriate for a Muppet production. I'm sure this atrocity made Jim Henson roll in his grave. Please, avoid this movie at all costs.
May 11, 2014
So I got suckered into watching this movie - mainly for the promise of Quentin Tarantino in the cast. This movie was obviously written by someone who didn't know the difference between a tornado and a hurricane, and it's all downhill from there. Tarantino's bit part at the end is funny, but not enough to save it. The muppets are fun, but this just wasn't funny or charming. I'd rather watch Muppet Treasure Island. Better music, better cast. Grade D.
May 3, 2014
As a life long Muppet fan this will be the last thing I post before I shove chopsticks in my brain, this movie sucks, goodbye cruel world! Aaaaaaargh!
March 11, 2014
The dull lead and the horribly directed action are saved by some memorable Muppet moments.
½ February 22, 2014
The Muppets' Wizard of Oz is far from the best Muppet film. That being said it still has some good qualities that can make it enjoyable. The biggest thing that does it is the casting of the Muppets in their roles particularly Miss Piggy as the witches, Fozzie as the Lion, and Gonzo as the Tin Thing. The songs are a mixed lot, but I'm With You and The Witch is in the House are pretty catchy. Now on to what doesn't work. Ashanti is the biggest concern. She is a good singer, so I'll give her credit there, but she doesn't come across as a good Dorothy. She doesn't have the innocence of Judy Garland, and isn't particularly likeable. Pepe as Toto was a mixed blessing too. He certainly has a few funny lines and in this particular movie is the highlight, but it could have brought Rowlf back to life which is something that didn't happen until The Muppets and even then he didn't get a lot of screentime. The Ashanti songs are forgettable, and the pop culture refrences seem a bit more forced than they were on the Muppet Show and in the 2011 movie. However even though it's not my favorite Muppet movie by a long stretch I can still find plenty of good in it. This one is better for only Ashanti fans or Muppet fans, but they should find something to like in it.
November 24, 2013
The worst of the series. Ashanti yeah that was a great casting choice, she's terrible and its just so bland and sophomoric.
October 20, 2013
Definitely not the best thing you'll see with the Muppets, but it has it's moments. Obviously, it's made for TV and follows The Wizard of Oz storyline pretty much exactly, with Kermit as the Scarecrow, Fozzie as the Lion and Gonzo as the Tin Man(or "Thing", rather), as well as Miss Piggy as all the witches. One of the only saving graces - besides the "vile" bad guys actually just being "motorcycle enthusiasts" is Pepe/Toto the Prawn, who has some pretty great lines.
July 27, 2013
It may not be the sharpest Muppet movie, but The Muppets' Wizard of Oz is still a fun time.
April 27, 2013
I loved it, like 2nd time I watched it!
March 19, 2013
no, just no.... idk, i had something against the muppets as a child lol.
March 7, 2013
The worst of the Muppet movies. Glossy, boring and utterly without charm.
½ February 26, 2013
The Muppets' Wizard of Oz is a lot like The Wiz, but not as terrible as The Wiz. It's pretty bad, though, and it's not funny, predictable (even if you never HAVE watched the original), and a big waste of time.
It's pretty much the same story as usual, except easily-forgettable one hit wonder Ashanti plays Dorothy and dreams of being a famous singer. She works part-time at her aunt and uncle's diner, by the way. You know the drill, she gets sucked into a tornado, goes off to see the Wizard of Oz. Kermit's the Scarecrow, Gonzo's the Tin Man, and Fozzie's The Cowardly Bear (rolls eyes). Pepe also annoys us even further by portraying Toto. Miss Piggy plays all 3 witches, which gets old after a while. Since this is a kids' movie, it ends on a happy note, yay.
This movie's pretty bad, or should I say, TV film, noting that it was premiered on ABC. Ashanti can't act, and of course she is perfect for the role of a kids movie noting that her 2002 album "Ashanti" has hundreds of curse words in each song. Anyway, it's not very funny, either, with dry jokes that kids won't get ("Uh, are you related to Frank Oz?"). Even Kelly Osbourne makes a cameo, who kids will be react to as "Who's that scary girl, mommy?". David Alan Grier and Queen Latifah play Aunt Em and , uh, Uncle Whatshisname, and aren't half bad, probably the only good actors in the movie. Also, did I mention that Quentin Tarantino is in this, pitching a dumb idea on a fighting scene that has an enormous upgrade to the budget? He's actually kinda funny. Anyway, this Muppet film, unlike the others, really sucks. Don't waste your time on this thing.