Pom Poko (Heisei tanuki gassen pompoko) (The Raccoon War) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Pom Poko (Heisei tanuki gassen pompoko) (The Raccoon War) Reviews

½ June 27, 2016
I knew Studio Ghibli's 'Pom Poko' was a unique story about Japanese suburban development and healing the relationship with nature that was dying with progress, but I didn't realize the magical transforming raccoon dogs that headline this animated film literally had quite the balls to do so.
February 25, 2016
As an ambitious morality tale, the Japanese animated film Pom Poko is certainly worthy of a solid recommendation. As a family-friendly film, this story of angry raccoons saving their land from destruction has a problem. Let's just say Pom Poko ain't no Ferngully.
½ October 19, 2015
2 hours is pretty long for a movie about strange, transforming tanuki. Just ok, but nothing compared to other Studio Ghibli works.
½ October 12, 2015
I have no words for this movie.
½ September 21, 2015
Narrated in a documentary style that's unusual with animated features, Pom Poko focuses upon a clan of tanuki whose habitat is threatened by the development of Tokyo suburbs. Forced to relearn their natural talents for shape-shifting, these creatures fight against the tide of encroachment through trickery, fright, pleading, and even eco-terrorism. The quality of the animation is up to Studio Ghibli's usual standard and its ecological motif is a trademark of the studio, but Pom Poko's odd structure and its indulgence in magical tanuki testicles make it a divisive movie among anime buffs. I wouldn't call it the strongest effort by director Isao Takahata, but Pom Poko is a solid production with some memorable scenes, a visually stunning third act, and a genuinely moving finale.
September 12, 2015
Weird, light weight and fun overall. But also hitting a very serious note. Watch this to have a good time. Studio Ghibli will not disappoint.
September 6, 2015
Very cute, interesting, and imaginative.
½ July 27, 2015
Pom Poko is without a doubt one of Studio Ghibli's more outlandish works which westerners will just have to soak up rather than attempt to decipher - though this doesn't bog it down nearly as much as its lack of a distinct main character to get behind.
½ July 24, 2015
This is a strange movie. Particularly when we get into giant transforming testicles (inaccurately called raccoon pouches on the English dub) and other bizarre parts of Japanese folklore. But its strangeness has a wonderful creative energy to it and it. Still its far from Studio Ghibli's finest and mostly is a serviceable environmentalist kids movie with a decent message but cute characters but nothing epic or spectacular
½ June 18, 2015
It's a beautiful movie though, I feel something is lacking and its message has no permanent direction. It's still worth the watch!
½ May 26, 2015
Most disturbing and worst studio ghibi film ever
May 23, 2015
I love this film. Takahata is in full bloom here combining absurdity, environmentalism, punch-a-baby-its-so-good humor, and a very detailed and well thought out story. Some may (and have) found it too bizarre to get into, but I for one think It's a complete masterpiece.
½ March 7, 2015
Pom Poko is anything but a conventional children's story. It has much deeper origins in Japanese folklore than anything else, and it has the strongest ties to more established Japanese animation than many of the other Studio Ghibli works, at least in my opinion. It doesn't feel like anything else. The whole thing is basically a tale being told by a narrator but almost seems as if it's going for a nature documentary feel (not a traditional one, mind you). The film tells the story of a clan of tanuki, raccoons who are being made to flee from their homes in the forest due to urban development. Being the magical creatures that they are, they can transform into nearly anything they want, including humans. They use their powers to try and prevent any further progress on the humans' part from happening, frightening the humans until they go away. Soon enough, they realize that their methods aren't that successful and that they must come up with a way of not only surviving but attempting to save as much of their homeland as possible. The themes of Pom Poko rest solely on the horrors of urban expansion, and its effects on all creatures, large and small. Yet on the other hand, it doesn't rely on conventional storytelling. It's pretty loose and wild with its characters and its story, going in lots of different directions aesthetically. The anthropomorphic raccoons (or raccoon dogs as they are more commonly known) not only talk, watch TV, and change into different shapes and beings, but they also appear in different forms, depending on the situation. When they're seen by the humans, they look like raccoons normally look. When they're doing very silly things, they look much more manga-ish in form. But when they're amongst each other, they appear as raccoons akin to Disney creations to certain degree (the non-inclusion of testicles, of course). It's the kind of thing that US animated filmmakers wouldn't dare do in fear of confusing their audience. But, this film treats its audience's intelligence, young and old, with some respect, even when things are really flying off the handle story-wise. But, when all is said and done, it's still a simple tale being told. It's very easy to follow, funny, and heart-warming to some degree. It's also the kind of film an animal lover would take very seriously, if you catch my drift. I still don't see it as one of Studio Ghibli's top works, all things considered, but it's undeniably a great film, and it's certainly unlike anything they ever produced. And yet somehow, it's undoubtedly a film that they WOULD produce: beautiful, enchanting, eccentric, and thoughtful.
January 5, 2015
It took a while to get used to some visual choices, but it was a fun, cute movie.
December 25, 2014
this was too damn weird for its own good. just totally bonkers, absurd.
December 21, 2014
Pom Poko is another environmental tale from the studio. Unlike the song that plays during the credits which is so uplifting I would recommend to anybody, the movie itself I am very confused on who I could recommend this too. It's so cartoony and adorable most the time that I would normally recommend this to little kids, but with multiple scenes of these animated racoons using their "sacks" as weapons it feels inappropriate to do so. I guess the target audience for this is for a bit of an older crowd with child like minds?
Doc T.
½ November 7, 2014
Bizarre doesn't even begin to cover this movie. First of all, the animation is excellent, and how can you go wrong with Ghibli. The fact that this is animated allows for insurmountable masses of distracting, wacky, surreal, and hilariously disturbing imagery that the film exploits to no end.

Perhaps if I were more familiar with Japanese folklore, or if I could watch the Japanese language version with direct translation in subtitles, I would understand better what the flippin' heck is going on. The English dub I feel has to change a lot to fit the character's mouths and to appeal to an audience of English speakers. There's definitely a story to follow, but the unprepared will constantly be scratching their heads and going "Whaaaaaaat" and "Why." It's just that bizarre to witness.

Overall, it's an inspired art piece. I love the visuals, but I can't love it all the way through, although for the imagery, I'm up for multiple viewings.

I've always believed that some things can only be experienced by watching movies, and no doubt, 'Pom Poko' is one of the most one-of-a-kind experiences I've ever seen.
November 5, 2014
Nice Movie Man
Must try best For kids
½ October 29, 2014
Setelah Princess Mononoke dengan tema perusakan hutan, film tentang isu lingkungan memang asik untuk diikuti, Rakun pun juga mendambakan hutan tempat tinggal mereka untuk bertahan hidup. Poinnya, kita hidup di bumi berdampingan dengan makhluk hidup yang lain.