The Skeleton Key - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Skeleton Key Reviews

May 20, 2018
Not sure why this movie got such a low rating, it's a great movie, has a great unique plot and, as much as I hate movies that market themselves on twists for twist sake, it has a very unexpected ending...dare I say, twist...that retroactively transforms the whole movie. It manages to maintain an eerie, suspenseful feeling without the use of gore or too many gotcha gimmicks...instead, that feeling is generated largely based on the story.

The earlier part of the movie moves a little slow and steady, but in my opinion, you have to be patient with some stories. Fast pacing does not equal good, slow pacing does not equal bad. In this case, the pacing is necessary and deliberate to allow the story to unfold in a believable manner. One case in point, without giving away too much, occurs about a third of the way through the movie when the lawyer and the hospice worker are talking in her bedroom. The conversation that occurs when Violet walks in seems extraneous, but after understanding the whole movie, the acting in this scene including every detail of body language and side remarks between the characters is perfect....even subtly and mildly comical in context, but appropriately so. This dynamic and several other moments may take a second viewing to fully appreciate but I'll leave it at that so as not to give away anything.

Aside from the deliberate pacing, I'd imagine that some highly negative reviews may be biased against the subject of the twist at the end including who "wins" and who doesn't. If you watch it, you'll know what I mean. I think even the few minutes after the climax added to the story by conveying how apparently normal the result of all this would play out with many surrounding characters being none the wiser with this episode just adding to a strange but otherwise seemingly normal history of the property....again all part of the story. Perhaps we've gotten to a point where too many people expect everything to be quick and concise but that doesn't always translate into fine story telling.

At any rate, this is a great movie with a unique story and which was well acted out...easily on par with other movies that get overall ratings of 75-95+%. Another movie "The Witch" had similar elements including story/concept-based suspense with limited gore or "gotcha" moments, deliberate -- some might say slow -- pacing, similar quality acting, and where the villain more or less wins in the end. It got a 93%. If you watch this movie, I'll take a bet and say you won't be terribly disappointed and possibly quite pleased, unless, well, you really don't like the nature of the twist.
April 16, 2018
This was a garbage movie
February 15, 2018
It's like a reverse-Get Out. Watch it and you'll understand.
January 20, 2018
A very good thriller, starts slow but has a good ending!
½ December 12, 2017
A very good thriller, starts slow but has a good ending!
December 4, 2017
I totally disagree with the critics. One of the best horror movies I have seen. Get out actually was much worse.
October 29, 2017
Although the movie really presents a bad ending (well, at least, some dull closure) and has some script issues, it's really intriguing and counts with a blasting performance from the usually insipid-sugarly-romantic-comedy-actress, Kate Hudson. Best movie I've seen her act, so far.
October 23, 2017
Great movie, really good story
October 19, 2017
Interesting, but can be dull and unintentionally humorous
August 20, 2017
Great great great must seeeeeee! Don't understand why people don't like it! Horrible movie taste - those people who don't like it
August 17, 2017
This movie is good, is only underrated
July 6, 2017
Brutally slow build up, with some pointless scenes, were made up for with unsuspecting, yet well planned twists. I enjoyed all performances that, sadly, didn't bring any terrifying scenes.
½ June 30, 2017
Mephisto Waltz wants it plot back.
½ May 16, 2017
Review (1~5)

#Content: Script 4 | Acting 4 | Cinematography 3 | Film Editing 3

#Visual: Costume Design 3 | Makeup & Hairstyling 3 | Scenic Design 4 | Lighting 3 | Visual Effects 3

#Sound: Score & Soundtracks 5 | Sound Editing & Mixing 4

#Overall (1~10): 5
½ March 1, 2017
i like this movie a lot it keeps you guessing and makes you think
June 10, 2016
great acting , spooky Bayou environment and a great twist at the end all add up to make this a true horror classic
½ May 9, 2016
Well written and acted thriller! If you haven't seen it check out this movie!
April 2, 2016
never forget the ending!
½ March 7, 2016
Much better than the headline rating suggests - there are subtle, concealed, thought-provoking elements to the plot which should have raised this film well above the "formulaic" accusations being made. The flaw - and it is a significant one - is that the first half hour is as dull as hell and fails to engage the audience with the characters.