The Skeleton Key - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Skeleton Key Reviews

½ June 23, 2015
The Skeleton Key is an excellent story with a killer twist ending, but it's not scary. If only!!! This really could have been something. It's stylish, well-acted and well-written. It just needs to be scary. I mean, it is a horror movie after all....
June 16, 2015
Another failed attempt at regaining the acclaimed status of PG-13-rated horror films. Besides an awkward and confusing ending, the plot is extremely cliched and there is close to nothing "frightening" or remotely scary in this movie. Altogether, I would not recommend The Skeleton Key to anyone who is expecting a film similar to "The Sixth Sense" or "Insidious."
June 15, 2015
The movie is never scary and you are never sold that somebody is in danger - probably to poor execution, but the cast is great and the twist is clever enough to be worth it. Better than many of its' counterparts.
April 5, 2015
Creepy atmosphere, but it's an uneven thriller. Things didn't get interesting until the end. (First and only viewing - 2/18/2015)
March 21, 2015
This is one of my all-time favorite movies. I have watched it several times & always look forward to the next viewing. Ending is creepy yet exhilarating because it was not what I expected.
March 11, 2015
For the most part it is enjoyable. Perhaps it depends on the viewer's taste whether they are interested in Voodoo. Now, it does not go into too much depth on it, but it does catch a lot of attention. The visuals are somewhat memorable but the plot is without a doubt rushed. The ending is a perfect example of it, although it was entertaining (and a tad too cheesy). Character development is lacking, and there are scenes that do not last as long as they should have. For example, when she is in the boat, the scenery is truly eye-catching but suddenly moves on to a cliché scene with the lawyer, who we know virtually nothing about. The scenes aren't scary whatsoever, but then again, I never watched it as a horror film. On the positive side, the plot is unpredictable and again, its voodoo side is extremely intriguing. There is a lot to make up for the little flaws in the visuals and story-line. All it needs is a bit more time for development and fewer "creepy attics" to make up for the obvious areas used to make it look scarier.
February 12, 2015
The Skeleton Key: Don't believe the critics - Kate Hudson is absolutely perfect in this stylish and wonderfully creepy horror film about a well-meaning live-in caregiver who gets more than she bargained for when she takes a job at a dilapidated house in the Louisiana swamp. Yes, there are the usual cliches - voodoo, chicken claws, etc. but the setting is captivating and the jaw-droppingly unforgettable twist ending will make you want to watch it again. B+
February 4, 2015
The Skeleton Key is one of the few horror films that have a really great story. There are a few slight scares but it relies more on an excellent plot and suspense then special effects. Very few movies give me an ending I'm not expecting the way this one did.
January 19, 2015
Normally not might kind of film, but this supernatural thriller was quite entertaining and the twist ending sealed the deal.
January 19, 2015
I just saw the ending and hated it...that's probably all I need to see.
January 7, 2015
ca a l'air freak, mais juste pour Kate je serais prête à l'écouter
½ December 20, 2014
Entertaining with a great twist ending
December 11, 2014
Beyond the somewhat creepy concept of voodoo and dark spells of magic, this film sports no real sense of thrills nor horror.
½ November 13, 2014
The Skeleton Key breaks the formula more than most PG-13 teen ghost flicks like it, and doesn't leave out the violence either, the results being a film that feels more atmospheric and intense than it's competition. 72/100
½ September 29, 2014
Pretty good movie. It builds up the tension nicely, its hoodoo plot is intriguing and suspenseful, and the performances are good, especially Hudson and Hurt. The ending is both smart and disappointing.
September 28, 2014
A good effort with halfway enjoyable acting and storytelling.
September 21, 2014
I always have a dislike for Ehren Kruger who only wrote 2 movies that I like with the good writing which are Arlington Road and The Ring. His other films I just either hated, or actually like but didn't like the writing. So far, he always have a thing for writing his movies a little like a mystery movie. Even films like the transformers films, there's a little bit of mystery. While I don't think it's as bad as his other films as it is something I haven't seen before, and was interested in hoodoo, but it was dull and there's too much going on. Kate Hudson was just bland and didn't show much emotions until the ending. I kind of knew what was going to happen, even though there's stuff which I didn't knew it was going to take that route. It was getting more interesting when the movie goes by despite the plot going all over the place. The climax was the best part and was exciting, it was so close to being decent until the ending. The ending surprised me, but it kind of ruined what the movie is going through. The Skeleton Key could've been better.
½ August 21, 2014
The Skeleton Key puts a lot of effort into its final twist, an admittedly alright twist at that. However, the film forgets to do anything else with its story and characters, resulting in a snore fest for the first 90 minutes, a good two minute twist, then a five minute epilogue of boredom and diminished shock value.
July 30, 2014
Boring, not really scary, and a shitty twist at the end. Such a bad movie.
July 18, 2014
A movie with great locations and a great cast that descends into camp. Too bad they didn't circle the box office with brick dust. This film essentially ruined horror movies for me.