Omagh - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Omagh Reviews

½ January 23, 2014
Paul Greengrass, who previous wrote and directed Bloody Sunday, co-wrote this, and once again he shines a light on the victims of the region's seemingly endless strife.
July 20, 2013
Irish telefilm drama following the tale of a man who, after losing his 21 year old son in an IRA bombing in a small market town Omagh, becomes the spokesman for the families of such victims who are often sidelined by indifference. A film marked by the unmistakable style of Greengrass, who wrote and produced the film. The subject drags a little but the film is still impressive for its realistic approach.
June 15, 2013
So sad how many are left to suffer after such tradgedies
May 25, 2012
Otra excelente película sobre el IRA y el conflicto de Irlanda del Norte. Trata sobre el problema del terrorismo, las víctimas y la búsqueda de justicia.
February 29, 2012
A good movie about the troubles in Ireland.
February 6, 2012
A great addition to the canon of films that deal with the Troubles. Explores the often unattainable peace that an individual needs to find in light of a life changing tragedy and the courage that can emerge.
½ December 24, 2011
Compelling docudrama abouth the aftermath of a terrorist bombing in Northern Ireland
½ July 31, 2011
Omagh started off a little iffy for me but managed to find it's way into a brilliant movie. Very good, powerful movie.
½ June 9, 2011
Almost as Good as In The Name of the Father
March 6, 2011
My mom got this for me from the library on the chance that I might like to see a historically based movie set in Ireland but I don't think this is what she expected it to be...It's a good movie cus it makes you feel but it is horribly horribly sad...If I were a crier I'd probably have been bawling :(
Harlequin68
½ January 18, 2011
With an eerily prescient line of dialogue, "Omagh" is a devastating dramatization of a terrorist bombing by the Real IRA on August 15, 1998, killing 29 and injuring countless others. The terrorists only do this to make a point in a town in Northern Ireland where everybody else has learned to live in peace. The movie starts on the morning with unbearable suspense, as the terrorists move into position to the town which is frequented by townspeople going about their business unaware. There is a warning but miscommunication leads to the people being evacuated in the wrong direction. And a lot of the film is spent exploring the authorities' mishandling of the tragedy. Remember that the government's role is to protect its citizens against threats like this.

"Omagh" uses its handheld camerawork and jump cuts to tell a powerfully personal story. Michael Gallagher(Gerald McSorley, who is superb) frantically searches for his son Aiden(Paul Kelly), who had gone into town to buy a pair of jeans, in the wake of the explosion. Later, after he buries his son, he becomes an accidental activist, using his eloquent voice to unite the victims' families, as the pain never quite goes away. However, in the search for answers, Michael is in danger of losing sight of what is truly important.
May 9, 2010
There is a sense of forboding from the first minutes of this film, it's hard to watch, very tense and very moving. The largely unknown cast (to me anyway!) all gave great performances but Gerard McSorley is the stand out performance as grieving father turned political activist Michael Gallagher.
March 19, 2010
A story that had to be told. I remember that day. The film has a gritty non hollywood feel to it. Told from a neutral viewpoint it is by no means fast moving, but more heart wrenching, not an easy watch at times but when Omagh is only up the road then its something we should all face up to and learn about to try to prevent anything like this happening again.
November 11, 2009
I find it interesting that Paul Greengrass co-wrote and produced film but yet the directing style and use of cinematography is very Paul Greengrass. The realistic gritty lighting set up coupled with the hand held style the film is shot in reminds me of his previous films such United 93. The film was well made but I felt somewhat disconnected from it. Didn't particularly find the story or characters captivating enough to hold my attention.
August 13, 2009
Best seen with Paul Greengrass own Bloody Sunday ,Peter Travis film cover the aftermath of one of the blackest days in the history of the troubles.

The film deals with the events leading up to and following the terrible Omagh bombing.

What the film sheds light on is the grief and anger of the families affected by the bomb ,and how there personal quest for justice would see them uncover evidence the police and security forces would rather see buried.

The film is shot in a documentary style yet it never becomes a preachy film ,instead it shows a group of people trying to put there lives back together while at the same time seek justice for the victims of the Bomb.

A powerful film and one which demands to be seen
June 14, 2009
Heart-wrenching docu-drama from the makers of Bloody Sunday & United 93, this true story follows one mans' determination to bring to justice the terrorists that killed his son & 28 others.

Taut direction from Vantage Point man, Pete Travis, who stretches the tension leading up to the deadly blast to almost unbearable levels & an emotionally powerful understated performance by Gerard McSorley as the father of one of the victims trying to hold himself & his family together as they search for the truth & strive for justice.

It's not as easy watch by any means, but it is a very important film to see to ensure victims of such attrocities are never forgotten.
½ March 31, 2009
3 1/2 out of 5 stars
March 17, 2009
A sad reality of "The Troubles".
March 1, 2009
Brilliantly acted by McSorley, a tense, emotional film. It was unsurprising to see that Paul Greengrass had a hand in the script: there is a documentary style that typifies some of his work. Travis brings it all to life with tight direction. The fact this is based on real-life events brings to life how terrible the effects of terrorism are on everyday people, rather than anonymous governments.
February 5, 2009
Horrible events, horribly ineffective investigation, horror all around and no end in sight for the families....... better hope something good has come of all the grief during the troubles.