Silence Becomes You - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Silence Becomes You Reviews

July 10, 2014
A great film. Beautifully shot, with a wonderful fairytale-like feeling and strong performances by Joe Anderson and Sienna Guillory.
October 3, 2013
They should have named this film "Siren Song"..the double meaning of that phrase would have been more suitable. Although the cinematography is great and the acting is very good and the idea is unique, the film is simply a little too convoluted and the script needed some finishing touches. The film forgot to include its audience in the metaphors it uses, leaving most watchers probably befuddled.
Now the premise is simple but interesting: Two overly sheltered, beautiful enchantresses (Violet and Grace) plot to seduce a lonely traveler who turns out to be a thief of both hearts and mental stability.
Now for a little more in depth analysis, and slight spoilers, read on....
Stories that inspired the idea for the film:
The Little Mermaid (The H.C.Anderson version, not Disney)- note the mermaid moments, the two timing with a brunette and betrayal, the knife.
The Odyssey by Homer- see Sirens (explained further down), lone traveler, the paintings, greek/roman mythology references
The Rober Bridegroom (Brothers Grimm)- male lead character is a thief, hidden and mysterious rooms with dark secrets, scary older men, women pretending and playing roles
Basically, these two girls are of Siren heritage, or have grown up in an isolated environment with only Siren motifs surrounding them, and the memories of their past haunting their every waking moment. They are capable of telepathy, are literally haunted by trauma and poltergeists (negative energy taking form), and suffering from mild schizophrenia (at least one of them). They have to live in a human world, the modern one, where Greek heroes are long since gone, and society has no real place for mythological beings to survive.
In the film, every time Violet or Grace seduce, you hear sea sounds (sounds like whales). Grace and Violet are inspired by the (Greek myth) Amazons in their use of men: seduce, gain a child, toss away the man. But much of the enigma of the film lies in just how much their dad messed them up.
Violet is the more timid of the two, forever in a childhood state because of her trauma. It is mentioned that Violet dreams of being normal, and desires a fairy tale romance, in order to leave the island of solitude that is their home. Grace is the older of the two, and tiptoes the line between genius and insanity. Grace is only financially set, she has little desire to explore the outside world and needs to control everything and everyone.
They are either born to a mermaid mother who abandoned them, or have just developed into sort of witches/enchantresses with poor mental and emotional stability. Logan is their failed anti-hero, the one they rely on to spice up their life, to ignite their passions. He flames all-right.

"In Greek mythology, the Sirens were dangerous and beautiful creatures, portrayed as femme fatales who lured nearby sailors with their enchanting music and voices to shipwreck on the rocky coast of their island.Their number is variously reported as two. The Sirens might be called the Muses of the lower world. Their song is sad and sweet and turns the listener's body and soul fatally lethargic. Sirens combine women and birds in various ways. Later Sirens were sometimes depicted as beautiful women, whose bodies, not only their voices, are seductive.
Violet and Grace are often depicted throughout the film with birds, fish, mermaids, myth, (In one notable scene, the father hurts the younger Violet by crushing a bird, because she can't play her flute/music with real feeling. Tone death is not a siren trait as far as he is concerned). They create an island (a deadly one to lull and wither away on) for homeless, sexy travelers. Let's just say the eye candy and pretty shots become the big deal of the film, while what could have been a great idea ends up being a point missed entirely due to poor transference of the mythology behind the idea of this story.
That is the film in a nutshell.
September 26, 2013
Psychosis maybe even Schizophrenia or some other mental illness are portrayed in this rather daring film. Artistic photography sets about an unsettling scene, as the actors travel deep into the story and some other place that is not quite real. Sensitivity to each other and the past childhoods of the women are explored from a point of normality looking inwards or is it outwards, this is the questions, part. The director has filled the screen with subtle nuances that means that your concentration and focus has to be alert. The film is not relaxing and it is easy to miss parts of the movie that set the scene that is ahead. As the movie travels forwards you will also be taken back in an unsettling manner, in the end however, there is uncertainty as you may have only traveled in a circle. There is a goal that is, genius, however, it is on the spiritual edge and often rather to close to Paranoid Schizophrenia for comfort, as many fall through. This complexity, makes the film challenging but worth the fight through, as the mind will be sharpened and made so much more sensitive, to the unknown part, of the human condition. This well written story by Stephanie is way above, the simple entertainment which we have become conditioned to seeing on screen. Nibbles: Spaghetti and Meatballs.
½ July 20, 2012
Pseudo philosophical pseudo thriller with elements if pseudo horror about a girl falling in love with a thief, and her sister who tries to conserve their little world, rapes the guy, and, apparently, kills him. Sex scenes are not bad.
July 10, 2011
How can a movie that is only 88 minutes take an eternity to watch? An unimpressive psychological thriller that never takes you where it wants you to go, which is seeing these sisters as sympathetic characters who were emotionally abused by their father leaving them deeply disturbed and unable to function in today's world. Instead, what you see are two sisters bent on destroying a man's life for a game of "which one of us can get pregnant first?" Never mind that the man is unsympathetic himself and deserves what he gets. There is no character in this entire movie that you will give one whit about. I'm guessing that this was supposed to be artsy. Maybe it is - artsy doesn't impress me nor does it make this a good movie. The only reason this gets two stars: Silverstone and Guillory play off each other well. Skip it.

You wrote this on 8/28/08.
½ June 18, 2011
Maybe the worst movie I've ever seen.
½ January 30, 2011
im going to see it because of Joe Anderson!!!-honestly...this was a really horrible movie.
½ December 29, 2010
Yeah, very quirky. Stephanie Sinclaire seemed trying to deliver an image of some kind of exclusive, special & intimate bond only shared between women, with no room for man. The problem is, her writing & directing (acting sometimes, too) are so self-absorbed, confusing & terrible which turns out nobody really understands what she wanna tell at all.
½ September 22, 2010
Visually beautiful, beautiful cast, story wtf? I thought it was very good, but if you get bored easily, stay away...
June 25, 2010
Really really really weird. I watched the whole movie and I'm not completely sure what happened. The acting was good but I'm not sure about anything else.

"How would you tame a horse?"
"Break its spirit."
"And how do you tame a woman?"
"Break her heart."
½ March 30, 2010
This is probably the weirdest movie I have ever seen. It also makes no sense.

March 6, 2010
I'm always interested to see anything by female filmmakers. It's at once quaint and regrettable that most films made by women can almost immediately be noticed as a film by a chick. Feminine influence is very strong here, and as with much art made by women I find it simultaneously charming and repulsive. The Bohemian sensibility of Alicia Silverstone's and Sienna Guillory's characters is beautiful in a way that I found almost covetous and reminded me immediately of Emilie Autumn (the film strongly shares a girlish/fairy tale/twisted sexuality angle with the singer/ songwriter). The film holds initial promise, inspiring hopes of a supernatural or psychopathic conclusion, but none such ending arrives. The girls speak often of a plan throughout the film, but it turns out the plan was simply for one of them to get pregnant? Maybe I'm missing something. Poor Joe Anderson, caught up in all the insanity. Perhaps at the end of the day, that's all this ambiguous piece is really about. Perhaps once again proving that all women are nuts. No one could argue the point. On the acting end, Guillory frequently fluctuates between riveting-but-in-a-psychotic-way and downright overacting. Silverstone plays the whole film with the voice and psychological depth of a 10-year-old. Anderson, show-stealer audiences met in Across the Universe (two years after this film), gets a little more of a moment in this film, though not nearly as much of a well-written character. Sadly, by the time the credits rolled, I was left with ideas of unfulfilled potential and inspiration for all the things this film could have been.
January 19, 2010
when watching this movie just remember it is a Alicia Silverstone movie enough said!! I enjoyed it for what it was
June 18, 2009
Quirky. Respect for trying some different, but unfortunately not really good. Horrible taste in decor and clothing.
May 19, 2009
Creepy, weird, fairytale like, confusing, artsy. I didn't get it and I didn't like it.
April 8, 2009
I liked the actors and stuff, but it was waaay weird and confusing. it left too many questions unanswered
½ February 2, 2009
Not sure why but I kind of liked it. Not award worthy, but I watch it all the way through.
½ December 18, 2008
WTF was this shite! It was like Pratical Magic gone terribly awry. My how the mighty Joe Anderson has fallen since Across the Universe.
December 4, 2008
interesting concept within the script..
November 19, 2008
Pretty at times, but ultimately boring and predictable. Alicia Silverstone's best acting work.