Nine Lives - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Nine Lives Reviews

½ January 13, 2016
I am rarely bored and this is a boring movie. Amanda Seyfried and Dakota Fanning are good but they cannot overcome this terrible script. There are too many movies like this where the parts add up to almost nothing.
August 13, 2015
Well acted and touching if not a bit melodramatic.
jjnxn
½ May 10, 2015
Let's gather the best possible talent we can and then put them in the most aimless, depressing situations that have no resolution that we can. UGH! Would be one star if not for the talent involved.
September 1, 2014
Great writing and acting throughout.
½ May 19, 2013
Strong performances and direction, but the message is so obvious, that 5 stories out of the 9 mention it. I get it! You're all connected!!!
December 28, 2012
Sometimes these things work great, sometimes they fall flat. I'll give it a try.
½ October 7, 2012
this didnt cut it for me. a great director should make his characters more interesting.
½ July 7, 2012
Good movie, very entertaining but left me wanting more.
June 14, 2012
Solid film - not the best, not the worst...
January 24, 2012
These nine short stories are fascinating to see but occasionally their abrupt endings can leave the audience feeling unsatisfied.
January 23, 2012
I just love these kind of movies, nine lives each with their own theme telling a story.
½ January 4, 2012
Sometimes film titles are left unexplained. Nine Lives derives its name from even two occurences.

When Dakota Fanning asks her film mom Glenn Close in the last of the vignettes why people say cats have nine lives and the mother answers they haven't it captures pretty much the tone of the film. The main themes of love, parent-child relationships and death are all in this one scene.

It's also the last of the nine short stories the film consists of - and that's much more likely the fact that named the film. These about 12 minute sequences - altogether long takes with female leads - some of them loosely connected - are pretty decent stuff.

Beside an intriguing cast and great performances it's also very well-written and perfectly executed. Sometimes it resembles a theater play more than a film and I wonder if it would have been a better choice do actually do it as a play...

Out of the nine stories, I liked all of them pretty well. My three favourites though were the first one of female inmate Sandra trying to talk to her daughter. Then the story about Diana, a pregnant woman encountering her former love after about ten years of absence and last but not least Lorna's tale - she visits the funeral of her ex-husbands new wife.

I wouldn't call it a chick flick and I thoroughly liked the way it was done but I felt I couldn't connect with all the female characters as much as they'd deserve.
½ December 17, 2011
I ducked this one for a while because it sounded like a contrived mess. 9 stories, 9 women, 9 scenes and they're all one take. But after that first scene i felt like a douchebag. Every performance in this is flawless! Each scene is varied from the next, some cross paths with the others and each story could've been a full length movie. Words can't describe how good the scene with Robin Wright Penn and Jason Isaacs is. And the last scene with Glenn Close broke my heart.
½ September 8, 2011
Not really understand........
½ August 21, 2011
It's ok, at least it's food for thought.
May 21, 2011
Some of the stories are a little too melodramatic and take away from how believable they could've been. Every story is unresolved and some of the stories attempt to connect but the connections are far from intriguing or clever.
May 8, 2011
for a man to write this..should make all women screenwriters insanely jealous
½ March 17, 2011
I fully agree with those who were left wanting more. The very nature of storytelling asks for a journey with some resolution, and most of these vignettes have no journey or resolution - no point from a story viewpoint.
½ February 6, 2011
Good acting but kinda slow paced.
February 4, 2011
For Fichtner's performance as a deaf guy.