Nine Lives - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Nine Lives Reviews

jjnxn
½ April 30, 2007
Let's gather the best possible talent we can and then put them in the most aimless, depressing situations that have no resolution that we can. UGH! Would be one star if not for the talent involved.
December 14, 2010
The concept is not original at all, that's probably why it has such a low average. If you've seen Crash and Magnolia and you liked it, than I don't see why you wouldn't like this one. Some good solid acting and 'drama for your mama'.
November 9, 2006
Couldn't keep my attention very well. Although, like most movies filmed this way... I like to watch how the stories intertwine.
July 13, 2007
i'm a huge, huge fan of multiple storyline, vignette movies, and some of them have been executed really well - crash, paris je t'aime, amores perros (or anything alejandro gonzalez inarritu, to tell you the truth.). and so it's not that i don't like this style of moviemaking. it's just that this particular film's ideas were so half-baked, so underdeveloped, so cliche. i mean, the one story with the deaf guy and lorna was perhaps the only original one that truly captured me. some were well-acted but the story was very very poor. and the so-called "connections" are a joke. it's like...geographical proximity is the only thing they have in common. i like to have a parallel drawn between the stories, not some, "oh! i vaguely recognize this character. oh yes, i remember, from the last story! yay!" i mean, i get it, it's about 9 women's lives and their difficulties dealing with loss or love or whatever. it wasn't a bad idea for a movie and garcia did admirably under the circumstances but he really should've thought this through more.
Harlequin68
December 17, 2006
[font=Century Gothic]Written and directed by Rodrigo Garcia, "Nine Lives" is a collection of nine short films that serve as snapshots into the lives of nine women in southern California. All of the segments are shot with a handheld camera without any edits.[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]1. Sandra(Elpida Carrillo) is an inmate in a jail.[/font]
[font=Century Gothic]2. Diana(Robin Wright Penn) is very pregnant when she runs into an old flame, Damien(Jason Isaacs), in a supermarket.[/font]
[font=Century Gothic]3. Holly(Lisa Gay Hamilton) returns home to make up with her dad.[/font]
[font=Century Gothic]4. Sonia(Holly Hunter) visits a friend's swanky apartment with her husband.[/font]
[font=Century Gothic]5. Samantha(Amanda Seyfried) is a teenager who is deciding whether to go away to college or stay home to take care of her invalid father(Ian McShane).[/font]
[font=Century Gothic]6. Lorna(Amy Brenneman) attends the funeral of the wife of her ex-husband, Andrew(William Fichtner).[/font]
[font=Century Gothic]7. Ruth(Sissy Spacek) is at a motel for a tryst with another man(Aidan Quinn).[/font]
[font=Century Gothic]8. Camille(Kathy Baker) has breast cancer and is in the hospital for an operation.[/font]
[font=Century Gothic]9. Maggie(Glenn Close) visits a cemetary with her daughter, Maria(Dakota Fanning).[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]"Nine Lives" is an interesting experiment but it is not an entirely successful one. There really are no overall themes and while some of the stories do connect with each other; it is done in such a half-hearted matter as to be totally ineffective. The movie does provide some insight into the lives of these women but it would have been improved with a more diverse group of characters. The cast is great but I think a better decision would have been to go with less name actors in the cast. Of the large cast, Robin Wright Penn and William Fichtner especially stand out. [/font]
November 7, 2006
The pieces come across as rather flat theatrical scenarios, more fit for a playhouse than a big screen.
zeravenyoej
May 25, 2007
Women are amazing. lol I liked this more than I thought I would. It's 9 short, approx. 10 min films about moments in the lives of 9 women. Some are better than others. The ones that stood out to me: Robin Right (sp?) Penn running into a former lover at a supermarket, Sissy Spasek contimplating an affair, Lisa Gay Hamilton working up the nerve to confront her father on his child abuse. Also, there's a quietly sad Holly Hunter trapped in a relationship with a jerk, Amy Brenerman attending her ex husband's wife's funeral, and Kathy Baker about to have a mysectomy. (obviously sp.) The three least compelling: Glen Close and Dakota Fanning visiting a cemetary, some actress at prison, and the dumb girl from Mean Girls talking to her parents. They all add to the film, but they were the least interesting for me. Also, all films are one continuous shot.
November 17, 2008
Blah
½ September 25, 2007
Another really strong Rodrigo Garcia movie that explores the complexity of women.
January 24, 2012
These nine short stories are fascinating to see but occasionally their abrupt endings can leave the audience feeling unsatisfied.
½ December 17, 2011
I ducked this one for a while because it sounded like a contrived mess. 9 stories, 9 women, 9 scenes and they're all one take. But after that first scene i felt like a douchebag. Every performance in this is flawless! Each scene is varied from the next, some cross paths with the others and each story could've been a full length movie. Words can't describe how good the scene with Robin Wright Penn and Jason Isaacs is. And the last scene with Glenn Close broke my heart.
January 10, 2011
This movie is mostly depressing, but I found myself very engrossed in almost all of the stories throughout it. The character studies are great, but it would have been nice if some of them had been carried a bit further. Overall, not a bad movie.
February 22, 2007
I never really understood it. It was just nine separate moments in time for nine people that happen everyday with very little happening to understand them
½ March 12, 2010
This is an amazing film. Director Rodrigo Garcia takes 9 women and basically shows the viewer 10 minutes out of each of their lives. Some of them don't have beginnings, some don't really have endings, but they are still fascinating portraits and they even tie in together to a certain extent if you put two and two together. My favorite concerns Diana (Robin Wright Penn-her best role), a very very pregnant woman, who runs into an old boyfriend in a super market. She first tries to hide from him but then decides to chat with him him. They talk about old times, he leaves, she wants to run after him. It' a beautiful little short film within a film. And I also like the last one entitled Maggie that concerns a mother and daughter (Glenn Close and dakota Fanning) who have a picnic at a cemetary. All nine of these films can be watched and enjoyed apart from one another but to get the full experience you should watch the whole film. I've seen it several times and it never ceases to amaze me. The movie also include actresses Amy Brennemann, Kathy Baker, Sissy Spacek, Mary Kay Place, and Sydney Tamara Poitier. This truly stunning film was also written by director Rodrigo Garcia. Magnolia Pictures. Rated R.
½ March 1, 2009
August 28, 2007
Just a weird movie, it just shows you little clips of 9 womens lives. Doesn't really have a point or purpose, very anti-climatic. The end just leaves you hanging wondering what the hell just happened.
June 28, 2006
This isn't one long movie as much as it is nine short ones. I kept waiting for these women's lives to intersect and they mostly didn't, although one or two characters crossed over to other stories. But mostly it's just a star-studded cast showing a moment in nine women's lifetimes. I found myself completely interested in each and every one of them. My favorites were probably the last two -- one about a woman terrified about having a mastectomy, and one about a woman and her daughter visiting the cemetery. I almost wish we'd gotten one last moment with each of these women. It doesn't need resolution so much as a quick revisit, to remind us of what we saw.
December 15, 2008
I'm puzzled by the low overall rating. The performances are great and most of the stories pull you right in. I suppose if you have trouble resetting your brain every 12 minutes to absorb a new plot line, then you may dislike it. Other than that, it's great.
December 21, 2007
a great showcase for acting and technical proficiency. a tad precious and indulgent. made me love and appreciate jason isaacs.
½ January 13, 2016
I am rarely bored and this is a boring movie. Amanda Seyfried and Dakota Fanning are good but they cannot overcome this terrible script. There are too many movies like this where the parts add up to almost nothing.