Rent - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rent Reviews

November 3, 2015
A good adaption of what I know of the Broadway show. However, half the songs could've and should've been cut out to make for a better flowing movie
September 28, 2015
The musical's depth is lost during the transition from stage to screen.
August 24, 2015
With Rents faithful screen adaptation, Director Chris Columbus sadly reveals many of the inherent faults of Rents narrative and characters, but thankfully the music is as big and playful here as it is on stage.
½ July 27, 2015
Loses quite a bit from the transition from stage to screen (if you want to see the real worthwhile version of Rent, watch the 2008 final performance), but still manages to be entertaining.
May 20, 2015
An awesome musical...I loved it!
½ May 17, 2015
Favorite Song: "I should tell you"
March 17, 2015
its a musical set in new, i should like it. but ive only ever seen it in parts, and aint caught my attention
March 12, 2015
I am a huge rent-head and this is where it all started. I know every word to every song and I am proud of it. This story is amazing and all though are some aspects in still is a beautiful movie. Thanks RENT for existing
March 11, 2015
A musical play adapted into a film. Theater adapted into film can be iffy, and this adaptation leans more to the corny side. The shots are corny, the directing is corny, and sometimes the choreography is corny. But gosh darn it, I love this musical. The songs are so good. The story is so great.
½ March 10, 2015
Chris Columbus's Rent is a really good movie that has lots of flaws. The scenes they have to do to sing feels too stagey and it doesn't feel all that natural. It's a bit overlong and kept trying to cram it in so that they can sing more songs. It may seem a bit pretentious at times and there's some unnecessary scenes that just came out of nowhere and didn't add to the story. But with all that said, the songs are enjoyable to listen, and the acting is great which they seem to sing their heart out. I was interested to see where it's going, and the subjects they come upon is a bit gutsy for a PG-13 rating. The writing is not bad, and the characters are memorable even if they aren't much developed. Fans of Rent are definitely going to enjoy it, but people who aren't are either going to enjoy it, or not.
½ March 9, 2015
Understandable on why the critics wouldn't put Rent on respect mode but the music was very catchy and great!
February 21, 2015
Great adaption of the powerful hit musical but doesn't quite hit home. I would recommend becoming familiar with the original show (if not already) such as watching the filming of the final performance, before seeing this film. The vocal performances are quite weak at times and some of the most pivotal songs to the plot are cut out, making for a very abrupt and confusing ending. But if you really want to see this movie first then go ahead and be wowed by the great music and powerful story.
February 17, 2015
I have ambiguous feelings about this. The characters suffer from a lot of hardships, but many of those seem self-inflicted. Given that the ending involves them resorting to crime to make ends meet also dampens the feel of the entire piece. Music is good. Acting is great. Touches at a lot of parts, but I'm not entirely sympathetic with the plight of the bohemians.
½ February 14, 2015
I love this movie. It is a very good adaption of the famous musical and the casting and directing were well done in my opinion. I enjoy watching this movie and love the music and to fun, mixed with the tug on your heart strings. .
½ January 18, 2015
Being a big Rent-head, it's hard for me not to enjoy this. That being said, I have a few issues. The music was obviously the best part! The movie also keeps the original cast alive, so the acting is top notch. However, the direction was awful. The way the camera was handled was amateurish and in no way captured the aggresive and ferocious spirit that the original musical had. The extra dialogue also felt forced and stilted. In short, Rent is a hard musical to bring to the big screen. Did they pull it off? That's for the audience to decide.
½ January 16, 2015
At times a bit slow and strange in terms of the director's style, but the musical numbers are without any doubt, impressive.
January 14, 2015
I have the same opinion on Rent as I do on Rocky Horror. I respect both musicals' places in history but they aren't my personal favorites, including in music, story or production. You would think because I love Paris is Burning, Hedwig and the Angry Inch, and Dallas Buyers Club I'd love Rent but I don't.
January 4, 2015
amazing celebration of life. unmissable.!!
December 14, 2014
One of my favorite stage musicals of all time, is brought over incredibly well. They used most of the original cast of the stage production and they all give it 100% to give everyone the opportunity to see this great musical.