Rent - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rent Reviews

January 29, 2016
If I were to summarize the film adaptation of Rent in one word it would be long. Rent took so long to realize what it wanted to be. In the description of the movie it says it's about love, having to pay rent and the struggle of AIDS. All these topics were in there but they kinda are all side topics. What I mean is that they all are poor and can't pay rent and that's the main plot line but the AIDS and love topics are sprinkled everywhere really. It was hard to get into the story because of the fast changing topics and as a result didn't really make me feel for much of the cast. I really enjoyed seeing the whole group together at once because there were really good musical numbers to go along with it. The best things about this movie are the energetic cast, fun and catchy songs, and the message it sends us about how some people suffer through a lot to live their lives. The AIDS story a lot of people can relate to believe it or not. This to me was the most touching element of the film, not the romances because of how rushed they felt besides Roger and Mimi. The others had little time to get to know each other and it was kind of sad because it would make a lot more sense if they had more background from the way they acted. The acting in the movie was solid, nothing groundbreaking or worth mentioning to someone except maybe Angel. The one thing you tell people about are the songs. Some of the songs I loved! Very few didn't work for me actually. The worst part of the movie is the ending though. It was one of the most rushed scenes I've ever seen. They were looking for Mimi for 5 minutes and then found her, they needed either a better montage that's spread over a period of time or just a better search I guess. I'm not saying I wanted the movie to be longer at all though because it was plenty long. The whole heaven thing at the end is really just laughable honestly. Spoilers but how Mimi wakes up after being in the park for a long time and her fever just then disappears is awfully planned. It should not have worked out that fast. Rent is a good musical on Broadway I'm sure but this film really doesn't do the theater one much glory as far as I know. The songs and actors from the show are what you go to see but other than that it's not great. C
½ January 8, 2016
"Rent" benefits from strong acting performances and lovable music that lives up to the intriguing and emotionally impacting themes that come from this musical. The acting, singing, and music are enough to carry this film, but it doesn't excuse the fact that director Chris Columbus directs on auto-pilot resulting in production design that feels enclosed and stage-like, and lacking personal touch.
½ December 18, 2015
Well honostly, Jonathan would've loved the film if he was still alive. But I know he must've seen it in spirit. He would've been happy to see most of the original cast return to become what they were 19 years ago.

This is one good film to watch, sure there may have been troubles while making it and it may not connect well with the screen, but it does connect to what Jonathan wanted to make in 1996.
½ November 21, 2015
I saw Beloit College perform 'Rent' last week and figured I should check out the film version of 'Rent' as well. I liked this film, but definitely feel that it is better as a musical than a movie. I liked that most of the Broadway actors were in the film and liked a majority of the songs quite a bit as they are very catchy. I really like the first half of the story, but feel like the second half moves too quickly and this happened too fast to believe. Overall I'm not usually a big fan of musicals, but the ones I do like I like quite a bit and this one falls in the middle.
November 12, 2015
Having never seen the play I came at this with an open mind. Although it seemed "a bit much" that these sick and broke characters looked like flawless models and actors through much of the film, the often great music, deep love between the characters, often wonderful and moving music, theme of Art vs. commerce, ultimately won me over and I was deeply touched by the film.
November 3, 2015
A good adaption of what I know of the Broadway show. However, half the songs could've and should've been cut out to make for a better flowing movie
September 28, 2015
The musical's depth is lost during the transition from stage to screen.
August 24, 2015
With Rents faithful screen adaptation, Director Chris Columbus sadly reveals many of the inherent faults of Rents narrative and characters, but thankfully the music is as big and playful here as it is on stage.
½ July 27, 2015
Loses quite a bit from the transition from stage to screen (if you want to see the real worthwhile version of Rent, watch the 2008 final performance), but still manages to be entertaining.
May 20, 2015
An awesome musical...I loved it!
½ May 17, 2015
Favorite Song: "I should tell you"
March 17, 2015
its a musical set in new, i should like it. but ive only ever seen it in parts, and aint caught my attention
March 12, 2015
I am a huge rent-head and this is where it all started. I know every word to every song and I am proud of it. This story is amazing and all though are some aspects in still is a beautiful movie. Thanks RENT for existing
March 11, 2015
A musical play adapted into a film. Theater adapted into film can be iffy, and this adaptation leans more to the corny side. The shots are corny, the directing is corny, and sometimes the choreography is corny. But gosh darn it, I love this musical. The songs are so good. The story is so great.
½ March 10, 2015
Chris Columbus's Rent is a really good movie that has lots of flaws. The scenes they have to do to sing feels too stagey and it doesn't feel all that natural. It's a bit overlong and kept trying to cram it in so that they can sing more songs. It may seem a bit pretentious at times and there's some unnecessary scenes that just came out of nowhere and didn't add to the story. But with all that said, the songs are enjoyable to listen, and the acting is great which they seem to sing their heart out. I was interested to see where it's going, and the subjects they come upon is a bit gutsy for a PG-13 rating. The writing is not bad, and the characters are memorable even if they aren't much developed. Fans of Rent are definitely going to enjoy it, but people who aren't are either going to enjoy it, or not.
½ March 9, 2015
Understandable on why the critics wouldn't put Rent on respect mode but the music was very catchy and great!
February 21, 2015
Great adaption of the powerful hit musical but doesn't quite hit home. I would recommend becoming familiar with the original show (if not already) such as watching the filming of the final performance, before seeing this film. The vocal performances are quite weak at times and some of the most pivotal songs to the plot are cut out, making for a very abrupt and confusing ending. But if you really want to see this movie first then go ahead and be wowed by the great music and powerful story.
February 17, 2015
I have ambiguous feelings about this. The characters suffer from a lot of hardships, but many of those seem self-inflicted. Given that the ending involves them resorting to crime to make ends meet also dampens the feel of the entire piece. Music is good. Acting is great. Touches at a lot of parts, but I'm not entirely sympathetic with the plight of the bohemians.
½ February 14, 2015
I love this movie. It is a very good adaption of the famous musical and the casting and directing were well done in my opinion. I enjoy watching this movie and love the music and to fun, mixed with the tug on your heart strings. .