The New World - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The New World Reviews

August 4, 2015
A strange and poetic film. Extraordinarily beautiful.
½ August 1, 2015
While it's a bit slow paced, Terrence Malick's The New World has great performances and marvelous imagery, making it a drama worth watching
July 14, 2015
The film is probably not one of the best directed by Terrence Malick there is annoying narration throughout the entire film, and it just goes on forever! Other than that its not a bad movie.
½ July 5, 2015
It was interesting to see the true Pocahontas story unravel yet, I found the pacing to be a bit off and the narrative to be a bit confusing at times. Still a very good movie that is full of interesting performances. A unique look also at how our nation came to be...
June 23, 2015
Unforgettable. Terrence Malick's gorgeously filmed tale of the Jamestown Settlement will bore a lot of people who aren't familiar with the director's style but will nonetheless amaze them. One of the year's best films. Colin Farrell and newcomer Q'Orianka Kilcher (as Pocahontas) are incredible.
June 9, 2015
The visuals are splendid as well as the lead performances, and, while the script doesn't develop as well the main characters, it does them interesting enough to make the public worry about them and feel what they are feeling. Another problem in this film is the slow-pacing is put into; the pacient and interested public may live with this all over the movie, but all others need no apply. In conclusion, ''The New World'' has the excellent care of it's renowned director, and, while the story is confusing and very slow paced, the performances and style make it good and more than watchable.
June 4, 2015
This would've been WAY better if my Captain Smith was Baleman!
May 25, 2015
Terrence Malick's movie is visually beautiful, but the entire film lacks any sort of passion or drive. It is limp.
May 17, 2015
A great drama on the real story of John Smith and Pocohontas.
April 12, 2015
As with all Malick films, the characters, story, and plot are simply vessels for a larger visual, auditory, and spiritual journey. You'll love it deeply or be bored to tears; there's not much middle ground to be had.
March 21, 2015
Oh how I love Terrence Malick films! So much natural beauty transferred to the screen. The langorous pacing that annoys some viewers I find deeply engaging. The magic seems to happen in the editing room with rapidly juxtaposed images and cuts that in spite of their disjointedness still seem to result in a visual rapture. Malick takes us into the heads of his subjects through voiceovers that make their inner monologues audible rather than through dialogue. This adds to the philosophical tone of his films. Apparently he does not like to use artificial lighting always preferring to manipulate the available natural light. However he does it, it works as this fils, like all his others is something to behold. Then there is the subject matter - first contact between English settlers and the native Americans of Virginia at Jamestown and the romance between John Smith and Pocahontas. Detailed historical recreations provides an authentic feel unsurpassed by any other cinematic telling of the story.
February 22, 2015
Amazing Terrence Malick film!
February 22, 2015
Amazing Terrence Malick film!
February 21, 2015
According to this movie, Pocahontas didn't "paint with the colors of the wind" so much as talk to herself in poetry all the time. Wait... I guess she hasn't changed too much after all since Disney.

Terrence Malick is a pretty good choice to direct this film. His involvement means a focus on the rich, beautiful landscapes, as well as a prolonged diversion into the minds of our protagonists, Pocahontas and John Smith.

Over all, everything comes together pretty well. The performances are good, the cinematography is pretty, and the story moves along logically and coherently. [I should note that I saw an extended version, so I imagine the pacing is better in the theatrical cut.] In addition, unlike recent works, Malick DOES have a decipherable narrative here. In the case of this historical epic I could, however, go for just a smidgen more story in place of some of the experiential moments he's known for (dancing in fields, for example).
February 21, 2015
So two men fall in love with the same women by barely speaking to each other, randomly walking through forest and meadows? Ok? Things finally pick up when Bales shows up because Colin Farrell is a snore.
February 10, 2015
Boring. Sooo boring. Wow, so boring.
½ February 6, 2015
I like Terrence Malick films, they always have this visual appeal that is undeniable. This film tells the story of Pocahontas, and while the story is somewhat engaging, it lacked enough story to keep me truly invested. I like this, I thought it was well shot, it just didn't keep my wanting more the way other Malick films have and do. It could be that the subject matter of Pocahontas hasn't ever appealed to me, but it isn't the best Malick film in my opinion.
½ January 21, 2015
I originally was never planning to see this because it didn't look good, but after seeing that Christian Bale was in it and it got decent reviews I decided to give it a shot. I was right the first time. It was very long and boring and basically one long love story. It did have some awesome nature scenes and some cool artsy parts but overall it was pretty bad. Christian Bale was a beast even though that role couldn't showcase his skills (1 view)
½ January 12, 2015
For my second Terrence Malick film (and there aren't too many), I have chosen THE NEW WORLD. It's basically the story of Pocahontas, starting from the settlement of Jamestown when she met John Smith to her later life when she married John Rolfe and moved to England. Of course, being that this is Terrence Malick, the minutiae of historical details aren't really adhered to and the story is told in rather broad strokes, making sure to hit all of the important historical moments but generally being a slower and more contemplative meditation on the themes that its director is interested in. While I was perfectly fine with the abstract story in THE TREE OF LIFE, I felt that it didn't quite work as well here. Still, Malick has crafted a stunningly beautiful film that explores themes of discovery, conflict, the search for happiness, and making the most out of difficult situations. What I thought worked very well was a restrained use of voiceover that served as internal monologues. Absent a lot of dialogue, this provided an essential window into the various characters. I also loved the numerous shots of natural beauty which were expertly captured by Malick's frequent cinematographer Emmanuel Lubezski. As far as acting is concerned, everyone gave a really good performance, although the cast was subordinate to the imagery. The score was also excellent, and in particular I liked the simple piano theme that played when John Smith and Pocahontas were onscreen together. However, despite all of this really positive stuff I do think that the film dragged a bit in places and I found my mind wandering somewhat. I suppose it would have helped if this wasn't a story based in historical fact. That way I wouldn't have had expectations about how it should have been presented. Honestly, I would have a preferred a more straightforward telling, but what I got wasn't bad by any stretch of the imagination. Overall, this is a technically superb film that has some interesting observations on life, but it did subvert my expectations a little bit.
½ December 21, 2014
Though it still falls apart a bit in the third act this may be one of the most beautiful films I've ever seen.