The Ringer - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Ringer Reviews

½ January 26, 2017
Steve (Johhny Knoxville) se hará pasar por un discapacitado para participar en las Olimpiadas especiales con cierta ventaja. Se enamorará de Lyn (Katherine Heigl) y sus planes se verán alterados
½ January 25, 2017
a lot of funny parts, a fan of Knoxville, otherwise probably not as good
January 17, 2017
I have no idea how this movie got the green light. Then again, this was 2005. However, I still can't imagine the writer of this film walking into a studio and pitching the idea of a guy pretending to be retarded to rig the Special Olympics. Like, there is dumb humour, and then there is plain bad taste. This movie is covered in bad taste, however, TRIGGER WARNING, I found myself laughing at this movie. I KNOW! I'M SORRY! I can hear all my liberal classmates acting all disgusted, but I'm sorry, there were some jokes that made me laugh. Plus, although the whole movie is making fun of the retardation some people have, the down-syndrome actors they cast as Steve aka Jeffy's friend's are all loveable people with some pretty good acting chops. Johnny Knoxville on the other hand is a very weird case. He is an extremely likable dude and charismatic, but a terrible actor. It's hard to explain. You like him although his delivery on some lines is absolutely horrible. You know what else is horrible, the plot. As soon as Steve aka Jeffy seeing Katherine Heigl's character and "falls-in-love", you know exactly where this film is going. Exactly. Beat for Beat. Yes, the location and the taste in jokes is definitely... beyond offensive, it's a story you've seen many many times before. So if the plot is beyond recycled and the story is based on pure offensive humour, how come this film doesn't get an awful score... I'm really really really really really sorry guys... I laughed a couple times.
jamrcla
½ July 30, 2016
Good film some funny bits, Knoxville plays his part well, Worth a watch.
January 30, 2016
"If you want to piss your time away move your desk to a urinal."
January 3, 2016
If you going for an over the top offensive, don't be predictable and only hit the low blow jokes. The Ringer does both.
½ January 3, 2016
just missed the mark.
½ January 3, 2016
Wholey irredeemable. everyone involved in this mess should feel really bad for themselves.
August 23, 2015
Very funny and surprisingly sweet, 'The Ringer' is much more than what you are probably expecting. Even if it doesn't manage to find the right balance between sentimentality and shock value, it delivers enough of both to satisfy general audiences.
½ August 10, 2015
The premise is weak as is the humor.
July 23, 2015
Rating-6/10

The Ringer is a comedy movie about a guy who wants to rig the Special Olympics to pay for his gardeners needed surgery, yes it is pretty crazy. Starring Johnny Knoxville, Katherine Heigl and a huge cast behind them, this movie is positively brimming with life, and the occasional laugh from them. You may think a movie about a man pretending to have learning difficulties is offensive and that casting people with similar conditions is too, but the true warm feel of this movie makes them not a thing to laugh at, they are good actors and can make some good jokes of their own.

The story is pretty basic there's no doubt but it is still unique and with the kind of comedy that can at times be silly, mixed with genuine emotion too, this is one movie that can have you laughing on moments and stirring your heart the next. That said this film is far from perfect, some jokes aren't too great and with a film that as said is kind of silly, you get some hit and miss moments but all in all it is OK for me.

Knoxville plays Steve(or Jeffy as he becomes known when pretending), and he acts it out well enough, not great all the way through but a good choice nevertheless. Katherine Heigl you may feel wastes her talent with a comedy like this but it's far from it, she is probably the most serious character but for me she is finest when being kind, it makes Heigl come off very well as an actor. The film uses a lot of people with learning disabilities, and they are great and as I said, they bring warmth to this and they are not to laugh at, you laugh with them.

Director Barry Blaustein I felt does this very well, he works with the comedy duo the Farrelly Brothers who produced this and together they just seem to make this work, whether it's the story or the humour I'll never know. This movies writing isn't exactly spot on, Blaustein seems to direct the bad parts of the script well enough not to be a disaster but then again the script isn't all bad, just not great.

Overall this movie really isn't for everybody, I expect mixed reviews and also mixed reactions as this could stir up an argument or two. In the end it is a sweet movie I felt and one that although I wouldn't be bursting to see again, is still worth another watch and for me that is all that counts. Oh and one more thing to mention, if you like the Farrelly brothers style of comedy seen in such films as "There's Something about Mary" and "Dumb and Dumber" among many others, then you should love this as this is just like the brand of comedy they represent.
July 3, 2015
Very funny! It's nice to see a good-hearted movie with Johnny Knoxville. This is a sweet comedy that can and should be rewatched. (First viewing - Late teen years)
½ June 11, 2015
"when the fuck did we get Ice Cream?
½ June 10, 2015
Rigging the special Olympics....that shit is just funny
May 23, 2015
The story was better than I expected.
½ May 21, 2015
There are a few laughs to be had with this but this is a pretty bad film overall. It's a half-arsed attempt to shock but it's so scared to offend that it's pretty cringeworthy.
½ May 14, 2015
F this movie...seriously!
May 6, 2015
originally gave this 2 stars, thought about it, and decided that was too generous. Garbage movie
April 28, 2015
Johnny Knoxville among smarter than average co stars...
½ March 17, 2015
You cant hate this film because it is pretty entertaining. However this movie is quite offensive to those who are mentally challenged and portrays them, at some point in the movie, as aggressive and irrational.