The Ringer - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Ringer Reviews

½ July 30, 2016
Good film some funny bits, Knoxville plays his part well, Worth a watch.
½ February 2, 2016
Steve (Johhny Knoxville) se hará pasar por un discapacitado para participar en las Olimpiadas especiales con cierta ventaja. Se enamorará de Lyn (Katherine Heigl) y sus planes se verán alterados.
January 30, 2016
"If you want to piss your time away move your desk to a urinal."
January 3, 2016
If you going for an over the top offensive, don't be predictable and only hit the low blow jokes. The Ringer does both.
½ January 3, 2016
just missed the mark.
½ January 3, 2016
Wholey irredeemable. everyone involved in this mess should feel really bad for themselves.
August 23, 2015
Very funny and surprisingly sweet, 'The Ringer' is much more than what you are probably expecting. Even if it doesn't manage to find the right balance between sentimentality and shock value, it delivers enough of both to satisfy general audiences.
½ August 10, 2015
The premise is weak as is the humor.
July 23, 2015
Rating-6/10

The Ringer is a comedy movie about a guy who wants to rig the Special Olympics to pay for his gardeners needed surgery, yes it is pretty crazy. Starring Johnny Knoxville, Katherine Heigl and a huge cast behind them, this movie is positively brimming with life, and the occasional laugh from them. You may think a movie about a man pretending to have learning difficulties is offensive and that casting people with similar conditions is too, but the true warm feel of this movie makes them not a thing to laugh at, they are good actors and can make some good jokes of their own.

The story is pretty basic there's no doubt but it is still unique and with the kind of comedy that can at times be silly, mixed with genuine emotion too, this is one movie that can have you laughing on moments and stirring your heart the next. That said this film is far from perfect, some jokes aren't too great and with a film that as said is kind of silly, you get some hit and miss moments but all in all it is OK for me.

Knoxville plays Steve(or Jeffy as he becomes known when pretending), and he acts it out well enough, not great all the way through but a good choice nevertheless. Katherine Heigl you may feel wastes her talent with a comedy like this but it's far from it, she is probably the most serious character but for me she is finest when being kind, it makes Heigl come off very well as an actor. The film uses a lot of people with learning disabilities, and they are great and as I said, they bring warmth to this and they are not to laugh at, you laugh with them.

Director Barry Blaustein I felt does this very well, he works with the comedy duo the Farrelly Brothers who produced this and together they just seem to make this work, whether it's the story or the humour I'll never know. This movies writing isn't exactly spot on, Blaustein seems to direct the bad parts of the script well enough not to be a disaster but then again the script isn't all bad, just not great.

Overall this movie really isn't for everybody, I expect mixed reviews and also mixed reactions as this could stir up an argument or two. In the end it is a sweet movie I felt and one that although I wouldn't be bursting to see again, is still worth another watch and for me that is all that counts. Oh and one more thing to mention, if you like the Farrelly brothers style of comedy seen in such films as "There's Something about Mary" and "Dumb and Dumber" among many others, then you should love this as this is just like the brand of comedy they represent.
July 3, 2015
Very funny! It's nice to see a good-hearted movie with Johnny Knoxville. This is a sweet comedy that can and should be rewatched. (First viewing - Late teen years)
½ June 11, 2015
"when the fuck did we get Ice Cream?
½ June 10, 2015
Rigging the special Olympics....that shit is just funny
May 23, 2015
The story was better than I expected.
½ May 21, 2015
There are a few laughs to be had with this but this is a pretty bad film overall. It's a half-arsed attempt to shock but it's so scared to offend that it's pretty cringeworthy.
½ May 14, 2015
F this movie...seriously!
May 6, 2015
originally gave this 2 stars, thought about it, and decided that was too generous. Garbage movie
April 28, 2015
Johnny Knoxville among smarter than average co stars...
½ March 17, 2015
You cant hate this film because it is pretty entertaining. However this movie is quite offensive to those who are mentally challenged and portrays them, at some point in the movie, as aggressive and irrational.
December 31, 2014
12/30/14 This film is actually fairly funny once you get past that it is obscene offensive. It is very insensitive toward the mentally challenged, and in some way I think they were trying to portray that people shouldn't act this way toward mentally challenged. To me, it didn't come across as "good intentioned" though. Predictable?? Actually, not really at all. Yes, you expect that things will work out in the end, but my guesses as to how that would actually play out were not really correct. I think saying it is predictable is just a way to slam the movie because there isn't much to put your finger on that is really wrong with the film. Overall, it is entertaining as long as you can look past it's insensitive nature.
September 27, 2014
Stupid movie that I watched because I was bored out of my mind. The jokes were lame along with the story. 1/5