Land of Plenty - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Land of Plenty Reviews

½ January 16, 2014
Convincing performances from Diehl, Williams. Wenders attempt to allegorise post-9/11 USA is telling
½ September 2, 2013
From purely cinematic perspective, this movie is a delight, featuring captivating performances and beautiful cinematography. When it comes to the story though... I appreciated a foreigner's view of post-9/11 America, but the portrayal was way oversimplified and one-dimensional. It shows even in the character development. As much as I liked Michelle Williams and her performance, she was given little to work with, while John Diehl's kept chewing scenery.
April 1, 2013
Begins with a lot of excitement and anticipation then seems to wander off into an abyss of nothingness - disappointing !!
Harlequin68
½ March 14, 2013
Upon her arrival back in the United States, Lana(Michelle Williams) is met at the airport by Henry(Wendell Pierce), the pastor at the homeless mission she is volunteering to work at. They have their work cut out for them as the vast seas of homeless in Los Angeles almost make her nostalgic for the time she spent on the West Bank. Still, she has a personal mission in delivering an envelope to her uncle Paul(John Diehl) whose mission is to make the United States safe for right wing radio talk shows while stalking Hassan(Shaun Toub) on his collections of Borax.

I appreciate the fact that "Land of Plenty" takes notice of how large a problem hunger is in the United States but not so much that I enjoyed being lectured about it in totally ponderous fashion instead of coming up with a solid story to tell. Nor could the movie make any valid suggestions or even any kind of connection between guns and butter in wartime, as most of the post-9/11 paranoia is now thankfully dated. Wendell Pierce and Michelle Williams can only do so much with so little, as the movie otherwise lets John Diehl, an otherwise fine character actor, free rein to go over the top in playing a stereotypical character, thereby sucking all of the oxygen out of the room.
March 8, 2013
I predicted the ending before it happened.
½ September 2, 2012
the music was good. (as always) and the interview with wenders (dvd bonur feature) was interesting.
June 6, 2012
Depuis les attentats terroristes du 11 septembre, Paul, un vétéran de la guerre du Vietnam, est devenu paranoïaque. Il arpente les rues de Los Angeles avec sa camionette bourrée de gadgets à la recherche de complots terroristes. Pendant ce temps, Lana revient aux États-Unis, après avoir passé la majorité de sa vie en Afrique et au Moyen-Orient. Elle espére retrouver l'oncle dont elle a perdu la trace, un certain Paul...

Malgré ce qu'en disent les critiques, Wim Wenders est très loin d'avoir perdu la main. Avec Land of plenty, Wenders nous plonge encore dans un de ses univers, là où tout est magique, où on se sent instinctivement aspiré. Sincèrement, Wenders surpasse Hitchcock dans l'habileté à créer des univers (Hitchcock le surpassant toutefois dans l'ambiance). Seul pépin, bien que je dénote beaucoup de ressemblances avec Paris, Texas, c'est qu'il me semble que, malgré des performances et des personnages incroyables, on ne ressent pas le même pincement au coeur qui vient autant nous chercher que dans les autres films de Wenders.
½ March 10, 2012
The contemporary America after 9/11 depicted by Wim Wenders. I basically love this film and understand his points as one of those who are somehow obsessed (have love and hate) with the image of "U.S.A." as foreigners. What amazes me mostly is that Wenders keeps the same kind of attitude and energy on describing and thinking about America as much as he did in "Paris, Texas" back in 80s. This film is (meant to be) much more political, and characters are little bit too symbolized, but Wenders's story and characters are both very much flesh and blood. Even though he is a very symbolical character, and I guess he look too typical as a Vietnam Veteran or a patriot activist, he seems to be existing in the reality. I think the film is little weak in terms of the drama of process how two people who have completely different background and ways of thinking start to kinda understand each other (the relationship between the uncle Paul and a girl Lana), Wenders's technique to make a "meaningful" fiction out of what really goes on in the real world and to let you start to think about the issue that the film is dealing with is now very sharp and professional.
½ December 26, 2011
That was way too american for me. About as unconvincing as any Hollywood film.
½ September 14, 2011
Excellent atmosphere, good performances but moderate emotional finale. Very good scene the dialogue between protagonists (dream), just before the end.
December 30, 2010
The plot was horrible
½ December 21, 2010
This movie has so much! American traumas in so many levels, past facing the future, inward patriotism facing global world, feelings of individuals in deepest level vs. nations hating each other, cynicism and delusions of persecution facing idealism and hope... you name it. The message is clear: hear what the 3000 people in twin towers would have said... Listen it in the end of the movie!
October 28, 2010
Words to describe this movie: Boring, pointless, a pain. Words to describe Michelle Williams' role: Freaking annoying. I had to watch it over three consecutive days cos I feel asleep two times in the middle of it. Any further questions?
½ June 17, 2010
Quite good and interesting movie about post 9/11 America, the prejudices, fear, hope and humanity. Michelle Williams was very very good in her role as Lana, the misplaced, a bit naive pacifist and it was great to see the communication between Lana and her Vietnam veteran uncle. I loved how they remained respective even though their views of the world were quite different.
June 7, 2010
All right I suppose. It felt a little long but it has interesting important issues. The problem with the film, I though it seems a bit too heavy and too serious. Or maybe I am a little too cynical.
½ March 8, 2010
Country vs People
a Paranoid vs an Angel
February 19, 2010
A mi gusto una película bastante regular, con un ?mensaje? demasiado predecible y poco interesante. La película gasta demasiada energía contando la historia de un posible ataque terrorista, cuando a la media hora ya se deduce que es la paranoia de Paul, se vuelve aburrido y a veces hasta falso.
½ December 15, 2009
Really interesting characters painfully meandering through a film in search of a story. Beautifully acted, beautifully shot, desperately slow film. Another one of those too-long films that's crying out for a good cut to release the 90 minute Oscar contender.
November 23, 2009
USA er helt facinerende,og bra vi har tysker Wim Wenders til å" rapportere" til oss om the land of milk and honey!Knall historie om vietnam veteranen som blir knall paranoid etter 9/11 ,og hans nise som møter han igjen etter å bodd utenlands i mange år sammen med sine nylig avdøde misjonær foreldre.Hard times on the floor man!
October 21, 2009