Yesterday - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Yesterday Reviews

½ March 5, 2010
Talk about a reality slap in the face...definitely worth watching and discussing.
March 2, 2010
Nominated for best foreign film
January 5, 2010
Wow!!! The movie is simple and yet outstanding. Bravo!!!!
December 26, 2009
SDad movie. Very moving , showing the affect of Aids on a whole family. I lvoed this movie the setting was beautiful and so was the story.
½ December 4, 2009
An extremely powerful film. Perhaps one of the best portrayals of the HIV/AIDS epidemic in sub-Saharan Africa I have seen. It gives you a rare opportunity to place yourself into a South African town and see from the inside what it is like to live with HIV. A must-see film.
November 27, 2009
Very simple but it is a good story, there are a lot of scenes where the landscape is the main focus
October 31, 2009
Thematically charged with great subject matter, but a bit flat.
October 3, 2009
AMAZING!!!!!! RAHAHAHAHCCICICICKHGJK!!!
½ September 6, 2009
A mother's love in the midst of a deadly illness, what a moving story! South Africa, this is a great one!
½ August 29, 2009
This is undoubtedly the most beautifully made movie I have ever watched. The only reason it doesn't feature higher up in my favourites is because not many movies can really compete with True Romance / Apocalypse Now / Platoon for me, and The Wall got me through that darkest of dark times, adolescence.
While the storyline has become, as shocking as it sounds, so commonplace as to not be as horrifying as it should be, situations like these (regardless of how many times a day I see them in my working life) still bring tears to my eyes and a lump to my throat. The difference here, was that Yesterday was so unbelievably forgiving (of all those around her responsible for, and judgemental of, her condition) and optimistic (for her future and that of her child). She didn't give up, but rather fought against stigma and closed-mindedness, not only for the sake of her own health and sanity, but for her child as well. She also didn't bear a grudge against her husband, who treated her so badly, in spite of how she was judged for this, but rather cared for him as best as she could - that takes a heck of a lot of compassion and courage, and I don't know if I could ever act in such a selfless way.
Not only was the script beautifully written, but the acting was SUPERB, and the locations were amazing - reminding me of a farm I vaguely grew up on in the Eastern Cape.
I watched this film during a time in my life when I was feeling very jaded with people in general, the medical fraternity in particular, my country's health system, and my country in general, and this small independant film reaffirmed my faith in humanity, and made me want to be a doctor again - now I know what to do when next I want to hang up my stethoscope and escape to London to become a graffitti guru like Banksy ;D
August 18, 2009
Really touching movie. Excellant
½ July 13, 2009
The story of a zulu woman who must walk two miles each way to get to a doctor since she is ill and ultimately discovers she (and her husband) have HIV.
July 9, 2009
What an incredible story, a beautiful and exquisitely made film. The direction is outstanding, the performances are so real and moving, especially Leletyi Khumalo. Beautifully simple cinematography. Unforgettable and so very poignant. Excellent in all ways.
½ July 9, 2009
½ June 27, 2009
gran película. la temática gira en torno al VIH, la mujer y su rol arquetípico, y el valor para vivir (contra viento y marea) por aquello que más amamos. el coraje de vivir el principio y fundamento vital. preciosa.
½ June 22, 2009
Simple but very effective.
½ April 29, 2009
i had to cry evertime watch this movie..love it
March 21, 2009
I loved it, the landscapes, the mix of colors are outstanding. People are so naturally beautiful. A great concept in the plot: we don't care where it's coming from, it's there now and it needs to be dealt with.